Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton 1-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

Very telling comments by Youri

Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans speaking to Sky Sports: "The first half was not good enough at all. It was not diffcult to do better in the second half. It wasn't good.

"We had a good reaction and now we have to recover for next week and we have to start better.

"We were a bit loose out of possession and they got onto us very quickly. We didn’t react positively in duels and were not quick enough with the ball. It was a bit of everything.

"Credit to him [Kelechi Iheanacho] for the finish and we score in the end from a set-piece. We are very happy with a win. We need to try and make up for the guys who are not there and tonight we did it in the second half.

"It feels like a very big result. You could see they played good football, scored early in the game so it was up to us to react to that."

It's nice of him to say that now lock him in the cryo chamber ASAP!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

My issue all season with the ol' "is it a glaring mistake" is there's an element of interpretation. They're subjectively judging whether the ref made a mistake not whether it's a foul or not. So you could even ask the VAR ref' was it a pen' and they would almost certainly say yes but still not give it as a pen' because they don't feel the ref on the pitch made a "glaring" mistake. Which seems somewhat mad to me. 

The thing is referees have always managed games rather than refereed to a level of minute detail. All definitions of a foul refer to the referees discretion. It's impossible to see in a split second in real time what happened but refs get a feel for it and "manage" the game the good ones get more right than wrong but are still human and make mistakes. 

• Like 1

Tonight we redefined how to "win ugly".

Amartey was instrumental in creating his own goal. He received the ball in his own half, turned, faced up and played Vardy in, that led to the first corner. Far too often he will do the opposite, turn back and play the negative backwards pass. 

Maybe it's a confidence thing but I' like to see him play with that positive outlook a lot more than he usually does. Tonight it resulted in us winning the game!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Brighton had a goal (so Kasper missed it). Lallana had another one that hit the post. Kasper also saved another I think. There was also that disallowed goal. We were lucky not to be down 2-0 at HT otherwise it would have been over. We played better second half but not positive enough. We only had 8 shots on goal the whole match. Lucky to win in the end but very glad to take it.

You say we only had 8 shots the whole game, but they only had 4. 
You say we were lucky not to be 2-0 down at half time, likewise you could say we gave them a gift of a goal from our own throw in, and there keeper made a great save from Taveres - we could have been 1-0 up at half time.

It’s all how you look at it, I would say although we weren’t at our best - the better team won the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

By no means a good game for us, but winning when we aren't at our best is huge strides forward. 

Out of these two games last season we would have had 0 points. To get 4 with a depleted team in need of rest, really shows how good we have come at grinding results out of nothing 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Week rest is massive to be honest.

Also don't underestimate the fact there will likely not have been a proper catch up and tactical session as we've been playing all the time.

Going out of Europe saddened me, but now it might become an asset, directly and indirectly, as we get more times to prepare (and recuperate) physically and mentally and get more time on tactical considerations.

I've been a bit annoyed by the criticisms of BR during our injury crisis as he's had such little time to adjust our approach with the players.

Great points. Rodgers has pretty much been having to try things out during matches instead of on the training ground. No wonder we look disjointed at times. Throw in the disruption of injuries and fatigue and it's a hell of a test for the manager.

No travelling, days off and proper work on the training ground this week will be a blessing.

7 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Well you could say last 5, or last 4 as W1 D1 L2 (including Europa) - its all in the semantics 

I guess but I feel playing in Europe is a different prospect and harder in a way. Slavia were surprisingly excellent and I think will surprise a few in the Europa League. The premier league is what's important now so I feel it's more important to look at league results when judging form.

13 minutes ago, reynard said:

Very telling comments by Youri

Leicester City midfielder Youri Tielemans speaking to Sky Sports: "The first half was not good enough at all. It was not diffcult to do better in the second half. It wasn't good.

"We had a good reaction and now we have to recover for next week and we have to start better.

"We were a bit loose out of possession and they got onto us very quickly. We didn’t react positively in duels and were not quick enough with the ball. It was a bit of everything.

"Credit to him [Kelechi Iheanacho] for the finish and we score in the end from a set-piece. We are very happy with a win. We need to try and make up for the guys who are not there and tonight we did it in the second half.

"It feels like a very big result. You could see they played good football, scored early in the game so it was up to us to react to that."

Spoken like......

A Captain.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The thing is referees have always managed games rather than refereed to a level of minute detail. All definitions of a foul refer to the referees discretion. It's impossible to see in a split second in real time what happened but refs get a feel for it and "manage" the game the good ones get more right than wrong but are still human and make mistakes. 

I get what they're trying to do but that conflict of subjectivity and objectivity with VAR feels problematic at times. It's why I'm presuming they initially wanted any touch of the arm in the box considered handball. It stopped any subjectivity. Knowing they'd call that Vardy foul a pen' but not give it just makes people ask the question, what's the point. And we've seen decisions that have been far more egregious than that tbf. And within that we have to also interpret that they haven't seen too much wrong in the on pitch ref's initial decision. There's this series of disconnects. In rugby they don't do this right?