Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
tom27111

Top 5 Games Attended

Just seen a link on another thread that reminded me of the classic 3-3 draw against Arsenal. What a game, for a few reasons.

What's everyone's top 5 games they've been to, and why?

I'll start, in no particular order...

The 3-3 v Arsenal. The comebacks after being out out it in injury time, plus, you appreciate this when you're older, THAT hat-trick.

Wolves 2-3 Leicester, 1996. The revenge on Mark McGhee. The Thermos flask thrown by a home supporter as Emile Heskey scored. My parents letting me go on my own as a 16-year-old!

1989, Leicester 5-4 Newcastle. David Kelly with a Hat-trick for the Foxes, Micky Quinn with a Hat-trick for the Magpies. Goals galore.

Swindon 4-3 Leicester. Amazingly, I'd put this on the list. The 3 goals in 12 minutes was just the best thing ever and you knew we were going to win when Steve Thompson rolled the ball in...weren't we? :cry:

Leicester 1-0 Middlesbrough (AET) OK, not the best game, but the save Keller made from Emerson, the scrambled winner from Claridge...we'd bloody won something and it would never get any better than this. Would it???

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started going again in the League 1 Relegation season, and was too young to properly remember many games at Filbert Street (except the last one), so most of these are from our mad rise. 

:scarf:

Leeds Home (1-0, 2009) - first time I witnessed a BIG goal, and Stevie Howard was my hero at the time anyway. Never heard a roar like it at the footy before, we went mad. I was on the opposite end of the ground in the family stand, but I can still see Steve leaping to bury it, clear as day, in my mind now. You knew it was in the moment he left the ground. ❤️

Hereford Away (1-3, 2009) - Pretty sure we were already up by this one, but what an away day. We took over the town and, while I've been on terraces since, that was the most old-school one i've been to. Highlights included Matt Oakley scoring what would prove to be his last goal for us for 2 years, and taking a piss in an asbestos-lined shed with guttering bolted to the floor. :ph34r:

WBA Away (2-3, 2015) - The one that made us realise that, holy hell, maybe the Great Escape was on. That game had everything - going behind, Berahino gifting us the ball in a 1-on-1, a Huth classic and absolute BODIES when Vards won it. Also had some good chips and gravy beforehand. lol

Sevilla Away (2-1, 2017) - Claudio's last game was my first following the Foxes overseas. It's easier to look on a loss that felt like the end of an era given what happened in the return leg, and in truth I barely remember the game itself, but the city was amazing, we drove cross country to get there from Malaga and my pigeon Spanish led me to befriend a steward who protected us when the riot police came in after Vardy's goal.

Thanks Steward, you're a legend. Real Betis were his team, he hated Sevilla apparently. :ph34r:

Whole thing was an insane whirlwind of an adventure, but my abiding memory amongst the fog of 13 Cruzcampos was quietly enjoying some Tapas in a nice patio bar while watching some running battles in the streets after the game. :knockyhat:

Sheffield United Away (2019, 1-2) - I went to Uni in Sheffield and lived 50 yards from Bramall Lane, but never had the chance to watch us play the Blades (Sheff Weds twice, but never United who were in League One at the time). We did have the cup game the year before (If Musa Scores, We're On The Pitch 🎶), but that was a night game on a worknight. THIS was the away day in my second home city I'd always wanted.

Wall to Wall sunshine, day drinking with old uni friends, Vardy goading their fans, THAT Barnes thunderbolt, and the feeling of being absolute king of the city for the day. A personal triumph.

There are some obvious omissions here I was present at, mostly classics in the Title Season and our Champions League nights. In truth, I don't remember the games themselves that well - case in point THAT Liverpool game, where my only real memory is my brother not celebrating Vardy's screamer but rather turning to me with a confused look of shock and confusion and asking me 'what the fook just happened?' as I went nuts. :dunno::thumbup:

Damn, we have been spoilt for choice in terms of classic moments these past 13 or so years, eh?

• Like 1

Such a hard question, as so many amazing moments and unique memories. Might choose five totally different games if I did this tomorrow, but here goes....

Orient 0-1 LCFC 1980

Clinching promotion in front of 10,000 city fans. Insane scenes. Truly bonkers. Still waiting for police to tap at my door 😂

LCFC 1-0 Oxford Utd 1991

Had to win last game to stay up at the end of an appalling season. Best mate playing for Oxford. Bizarre. Amazing day. 

LCFC 5-1 QPR 2015

Unusual choice, but the noise was the loudest I can recall at KP up until then. When Cambiasso scored, even the west stand stood and sang, as one. A genuine sense of euphoria.

LCFC 5-2 Shrewsbury Town 1982

FA Cup quarter-final. Three goalkeepers before half time. From blowing it to cruising it. Watching was a different experience in a packed pen in the 80’s. Those days are gone forever, but will never be forgotten or surpassed.

Derby 1-2 LCFC 1994

Coming from behind to win at Wembley in the play-off final. Does anything else need to be said? Was living in Berkshire at time so took g/f along -who was hotter than hell. What a 24 hours in town that turned into. Still no idea how we got home, eventually. 

• Like 3

1) Leicester 5 - Cambridge 0 - Tommy Wright running riot and everyone convinced we were going up!

2) Derby 1 - 2 Leicester anything better than beating the sheep at Wembley? Club legend scoring twice and the drive back was a sea of blue.

3) Leicester 2-1 Sunderland - League cup semi final, I thought the atmosphere was buzzing that night at Filbert St and we finished the 90s with yet another trip to Wembley!

4) Leicester 3 - 3 Arsenal best league game I’ve attended - The bergkamp hat trick was sublime - the comeback was better, we lost that game twice and still came back for a draw. Scenes when Walsh nodded in at the back post were unrivalled for a game with very little riding on it.

5) Wimbledon 1 - 1 Leicester Larry heads us to Wembley again on away goals, more Leicester than Wimbledon fans at Selhurst that night. Waiting for the final whistle to go, clearing their shots of the line...

• Like 3

Tough one this!

derby 0 city 4 (1998 I think), this was just pure ecstasy!

newcastle 0 city 3 (2020) first time my 11 year old son had seen us win away, plus it was his birthday.

tranmere 1 city 2 (2000) my first Wembley visit, seeing us lift a trophy 

city 3 Everton 1 (2016) for obvious reasons 

City 1 port vale 1 (1991 I think the score was correct) my first ever game, was hooked from that day on,

1. Everton at home the trophy day

2. Brugge away

3. Copenhagen away. For a UK group to do an away Euro display was massive.

4. 5.3 vs Man United

5. West Brom great escape. I am yet to see goal celebrations as good.

Notable mention for Wigan at home. For UFS to be given a prominent large section in the stadium it was fantastic. 

• Like 1

Leicester V Crystal Palace 1996 2-1 AET  Possibly the game that got me truly hooked on football, the noise and feeling for that Claridge winner was just out of this world. 

Leicester V Middlesbrough 1997 1-1 AET - didn't make the second leg at Hillsborough but just the fact that we we looked down and out but that Mark Robins cross happened just below me, again, what a feeling!

Leicester 2-1 Tranmere - 2000 - almost the first taste (and I'd imagine quite rare) of actually not being the underdog in a cup final. Elliott was immense, what a day!

Leicester V Man U - 2016 -. 1-1 - The Vardy 11th in a row was just a phenomenal thing to witness. What an atmosphere that night!

Leicester V Seville - 2-0 - 2017. Just surreal winning a game in the KO part of the CL. Again, what an atmosphere!

Edited by Collymore

Leicester v Luton 1979, it was my first game watching Leicester, even though we lost 3-1 I loved it

Leicester v Cambridge 1992 play offs, I vowed I would never go to Wembley unless Leicester got there, what a night, baking hot and we absolutely thrashed them 5-0

Forest v Leicester 2013, my favourite away game of all time, 2-2 as we heading into injury time, we needed a goal to hopefully secure the play offs, we was a bit under the cosh as Forest was pressing, but then we broke away and Knockaert got the winner, stood right next to the Forest fans, brilliant feeling

Man City v Leicester 2016, 1-3  What a performance, we totally dominated the game, and that’s when I started to believe we could win the title.

Leicester v Everton 2016, 3-1, just a special day, meeting up with all lads at 11am, mixing with all the Roma fans who made the journey, and then Big Wes lifting the trophy.

• Like 1

Cambridge 5-0, the fear before the game, after they tonked us 5-1 earlier that season.

Arsenal 3-3.

Middlesbrough cup final replay at Hillsborough.

Sheff Wed at home the same season when we were guaranteed safety and O'Neill allowed us to celebrate the cup win with a parade around the pitch.

Man U 5-3.

And an honourable mention for Gillingham away standing, where our own fans sang abuse at me for the smell of my beefy eggo's.

Edited by gw_leics772

Man United 5-3 (H) 2014 - The greatest game at the new stadium by a distance. For all of the great moments that preceded and followed it none had quite the “what the **** is going on” factor this had.

MK Dons 2-2 (A) 2009- I had been having a really shitty time at work and going to the football was a great escape. Fantastic game between 2 of the best sides in the division at the time and a brilliant free kick from Gradel at the end.

Bruges 3-0 (A) 2016 - Amazing experience from start to finish. I never thought we’d see us play in Europe again, let alone in the Champions League. To have our first game in such a beautiful city on a warm late summer’s day was so much more than we could have wished for. 

West Ham 2-2 (H) 2016 - I have never felt so emotionally drained at the football as this. I’d been at a stag do the previous night and was in a terrible state when the game kicked off. By the time the game finished I felt like I’d been 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. In all the games I’ve been to the stakes have never felt higher and the ups and downs in the last 10 minutes aged me 15 years.

QPR 2-1 (A) 2009 - QPR were flying but we went there and played them off the pitch to go second in the Championship. After years of barely scraping into the top half at any point of the season, finding ourselves 2nd in October was totally inconceivable. Lots of my friends are QPR fans so all the sweeter.

The best game I’ve been to that we lost was probably the 2-1 defeat to Arsenal in the title winning season for similar reasons to the West Ham game.

It’s a shame we couldn’t be there last week as that may well have scraped into the top 5.

5-3 vs Man Utd. Unrivalled drama.

2-0 vs Sevilla, loudest it’s been at home I think.

1-0 vs Middlesbrough, the snow game. The fans that went had a bit between their teeth that day, great atmosphere.

1-0 vs Bolton, Dyer thunderbolt to finally send us up as champions.

2-1 vs Sheff United last season, unreal weekend. 

• Like 1

5-3 Utd - euphoric, and worth the 10+ years of wait

3-1 Everton - best day of my life. Weirdly don't remember much of it, the whole day/week was a blur and not because of booze either!

2-0 Sevilla - the noise. Lcfc in the Champs League...and into the quarters! 

5-1 QPR - as mentioned above. We were safe, the team had gelled, sunny day, beautiful new kit looked amazing, the season ahead looked like we should survive 😬 and then the Cambiasso goal. The whole game felt like pure, hedonistic joy that lcfc fans aren't meant to have.

5th is a tight call. Vardy's 11th was mad, lots of games between 15-16 really. My first game was 97 so says a lot about the last 5 years! Perhaps the 1-1 at Old Trafford the night before we won the league. The longest 90 mins of my life but the atmosphere at the end!!!

Feels amazing just thinking back to these games. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if I get a little emotional first game back.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 1

In chronological order because they are all memorable for different reasons.

70-71 City 4 Orient 0

We had only moved to Leicester with Dad’s work at the start of that season.  This was the first game he took me to (aged 5) after weeks of nagging.

72-73 City 3 Liverpool 2

2 nil down midway through the first half with Keegan and Toshack in their pomp so it looked like we were in for a battering then up steps Keith Weller with a hat-trick.  Always my favourite player from that team in a very crowded field.

Dad changed jobs again at the end of that season so fast forward ...

13-14 City 1 Brighton 4

Crazy evening 😂.  Knocky could barely stand let alone run in a straight line but nobody cared “4 nil down, who gives a fvck?  The Leicester boys are going up”.  Scenes when GTF scored were unreal.

15-16 City 4 Swansea 0

I had bought hospitality tickets for the family as a Christmas present. I (jokingly?) said on Christmas Day wouldn’t it be great if that was the match we secured Champions League.  Chatting to a very nervous Steve Walsh before the game then an utterly delirious one at full time was one of many highlights.

16-17 City 2 Seville 0

Nothing to add.  We had been in Seville the week before without tickets so to experience that atmosphere inside the KP was very special.

Did I mention my time machine ...

21-22 City 3 Real Madrid 2

Champions League Final.

Match report to follow ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All for obvious reasons 

Spurs away - 1 - 0 title winning season. A crucial away win at such a crucial time.

Liverpool at home 2 - 0 title winning season. Vardy stunner.

Swansea at home - 4 - 0 (or 3) title winning season. In hindsight that more or less sealed the title.

Copenhagen away Champions League - 0 - 0 - my first and only European away trip. Great trip, met Shakes in town during the day - but poor game.

Seville at home - 2 - 0 - in my view the greatest game to be played at the KP.

I’m aware these are all from the last few years, but hard to see beyond that. The League Cup Finals were outstanding, but recently the club have taken it to another level.

Seville Home 2019 - 2 - 0 - A very Special night - So proud of the players and our crowd 

Shrewsbury Home FA Cup Quarter Final 1982 - 5 - 2 - An incredibly dramatic game. I was in Pen 3 and the emotion was overwhelming at times 

Man U Home - 2014 - 5 - 3 - The day I realised Jamie Vardy was incredibly special 

Manchester City Away 2016 - 1 - 3 - Couldn't believe what I was seeing before my very eyes 

Sunderland Away 2016 0 - 2 (the day we actually (respectively) won the Premier League - When Vardy put the 2nd away I got the strangest feeling at the time - Almost overcome with emotion)

and I've got to throw in a 6th of Crystal Palace Away in 2016 - Simple eurphoria after they hit the bar in the 94th minute and then the final whistle being blown  

• Like 1

There can be only one.....

LEICESTER CITY 4   MAN CITY 3

FA Cup 4th Round Replay

19th February 1968

Attendance 39,107

Scorers

City Lee(6 pen), Summerbee(24), Bell(88)

Leicester Fern(44), Large(48 & 63), Nish(57)

Man City Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Young, Coleman – sub Connor(unused)

Leicester Shilton, Rodrigues, Bell, Roberts, Cross, Sjoberg, Fern, Nish, Large, Stringfellow, Gibson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

There can be only one.....

LEICESTER CITY 4   MAN CITY 3

FA Cup 4th Round Replay

19th February 1968

Attendance 39,107

Scorers

City Lee(6 pen), Summerbee(24), Bell(88)

Leicester Fern(44), Large(48 & 63), Nish(57)

Man City Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Heslop, Oakes, Lee, Bell, Summerbee, Young, Coleman – sub Connor(unused)

Leicester Shilton, Rodrigues, Bell, Roberts, Cross, Sjoberg, Fern, Nish, Large, Stringfellow, Gibson

This was a couple of years before my time but have heard it mentioned on numerous occasions. 

Is there any footage of it? 

Shrewsbury Town 1982 FA Cup has to be the greatest was stood in front of the old main stand with 28000 packed in at Filbert Street real roller coaster. Wallington injured so Alan Young and Steve Lynex all spending time in goal. You can still see highlights on You Tube. At the time Young Melrose and Lineker up front Jock Wallace manager. That was the last semi final season as well of course but the cup was a big deal then.

Never known anything quite like it apart perhaps for beating United 5-3 more recently, the 2 0 Liverpool win with Vardy's goal and of course the Everton win to take the premiership.

• Thanks 1