Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

FA Cup Final pre match thread (Chelsea)

6 minutes ago, Nick said:

Here’s me pissed off we are playing Man U on the weds with a cup final on the Saturday... Just noticed Chelsea are playing on the Thursday night!

That seems very harsh!

Chelsea are playing arsenal on the Wednesday after we play aren’t they ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Here’s me pissed off we are playing Man U on the weds with a cup final on the Saturday... Just noticed Chelsea are playing on the Thursday night!

That seems very harsh!

They play Wednesday as well at 8pm.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lcfc82 said:

Chelsea are playing arsenal on the Wednesday after we play aren’t they ?

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

They play Wednesday as well at 8pm.

Ah yeah, cheers – I misread the planner fixture.

On 29/04/2021 at 19:13, Red Squirrel said:

I wasn't sure about our chances until a few moments ago......

At work, had just come off a call with a Forest fan, got a coffee from the machine, walked back to my desk and "lo behold it has been foretold in my cup, the cup is ours"

Don't tell me this is anything other than divine intervention!

image.png.d24c5a4cf8129380dcd51bc314648038.png

Looks like a broken heart to me

• Haha 2

I think of our remaining fixtures our best performance will come in the final but it's a win/ win because we only need a total of 68/69 to get top 4. Thats 6 more points than last year and a reasonable  chance to win a trophy..happy days 

29 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Chelsea playing annoyingly well at the moment. Should have put 5 past a sub-standard Madrid last night. Can't say it's done my optimism for the final any good.

I didn't watch the game personally but a friend who did says exactly the same as you citing Madrids slow tippy tappy passing game at times being their downfall. Likewise, if we have our currently usual ultra conservative 3 at the back clogged midfield side to side passing fest, I think we'll be two nil down at halftime with a mountain to climb.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Chelsea playing annoyingly well at the moment. Should have put 5 past a sub-standard Madrid last night. Can't say it's done my optimism for the final any good.

They are but I still think It'll be a close game with both teams having a chance of winning. I'd say it's about Chelsea 55/45 to us.

5 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Chelsea are playing in a really similar style to us at the moment in a sort of 352. There are actually quite a lot of interesting points of comparison.

chelsea.png.77231830cf7f6546c86c8f06707facf6.png

Taking their lineup from last night which is probably their strongest (give or take a Pulisic or a James), their back 3 looks familiar with a wise old head in the middle, a very robust international CB on the left, and a younger player with a bit more pace on the right. Mirrors the Wes, Evans, Soyuncu back line quite well.

Then you've got the wing backs of Chilwell and Azpilicueta - I'm surprised at the latters resurgence in such a demanding role getting up and down the pitch, but he was superb last night and they've got James to cover when he gets knackered. Not much change between him and Timmy. Chilwell still has his limitations, but one of his obvious strengths is his lungbusting runs up and down the flank - it's such a shame Justin is out because I feel he can offer the same plus greater end product. We can hope Ricky is back and can switch flanks with Timmy, but my fear is he's basically being rested for the rest of the season until he can return to full fitness during a proper pre season (plus TC is less effective on the left). Thomas is a promising young player but doesn't offer enough in an attacking or defensive sense at the moment.

More obvious comparisons in the midfield three - the deep lying passer/dictator of tempo (Youri/Jorginho), the destroyer (Kante/Ndidi - and Kante looks back to his best, showing dynamic forward moving plays in addition to his ball recovery work whereas I feel Wilf has dropped a few percentage points in recent weeks), and the young English attacking midfielder (Mount/Maddison).

Then you've got a pacey striker struggling in front of goal but still contributing hugely to the team (Vardy/Werner) and a laconic, slightly mercurial player in support (Havertz/Kel).

So Chelsea are set up extremely similarly and are giving up very little in terms of chances. I think they play a slightly deeper defensive line than us, although I'd be interested in other's opinions on this. The difference for me is the dynamism of their attacking players - Mount in particular who is in superb form right now linking midfield and attack and looking a threat every time he gets the ball, whereas JM doesn't look back to full fitness yet. Nice for them to be able to bring on Pulisic and Ziyech too.

For me, Chelsea are the most similarly matched team to us in the league in terms of play style, and Tuchel has done incredibly well to get them playing this way in a relatively short space of time.

I don't think the back 3 is necessarily stodgy, and watching Chelsea they recycle the ball a lot around midfield and defence too - it's just their attacking moves have more penetration than ours at the moment, helping them to a Champions league and FA Cup final. I also think it highlights our need for an attacking playmaker in the transfer market, and what a miss Harvey is for us when we compare our players to one of the top teams.

I think the game will be a close affair - we'll need to be at the top of our game to win it, and hope that Chelsea aren't quite at it too. So all hope isn't lost! It's just all about those penetrative forward plays that we've struggled a bit with in recent weeks while Chelsea have flourished.

That's really interesting I think. When it comes to wing backs though I think they possibly have a slight advantage. Even if fully fit, I think as a right back Ricardo is possibly one of the best in the Premiership attacking from deep but, as a wing back or pseudo winger, not so good and he's looked very frustrated in the role to me. Castagne is a little better but not so good on the left despite supposedly being able to play there. I agree regarding James. I do think we have the better back 3 though. The rest is pretty even I would say. I think it's going to be more about mindset, aggression and tempo. If we just sit back and piss about side to side it will be easy meat for Kante and Georginho I think. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

On 29/04/2021 at 19:13, Red Squirrel said:

I wasn't sure about our chances until a few moments ago......

At work, had just come off a call with a Forest fan, got a coffee from the machine, walked back to my desk and "lo behold it has been foretold in my cup, the cup is ours"

Don't tell me this is anything other than divine intervention!

image.png.d24c5a4cf8129380dcd51bc314648038.png

I had a similar mark in my underpants, do you think it's a sign? 

• Haha 1

Guest Bert Fill

This game’s a win/win if ever there was one!

Either we win the FA Cup or we extend our possibly unassailable lead in the ‘most finals without ever winning’ contest.

What’s not to love?

Fortunately, Tuchel is so opinionated it is very possible that when a member of his staff says 'Boss, you do realise that Olivier ALWAYS scores against Leicester.....' , he will simply ignore him. Here's hoping he does!

Chelsea were maybe a little lucky today with the result, But they looked mighty impressive today.

What impressed me most was their level of Fitness. They look so much fitter than us.

I just hope they don't turn up next week.