Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Sounds obvious to say but club personnel and players must have been given a clear directive not to say anything about this, regardless of which side of the fence they sit on (really, it should only be one side). 

The silencing of those involved isn't as bad as the effect on football and fans this has, but it is pretty fvcking cowardly if it is the case. Too much time has passed for not one player or coach or staff (of one of the 12 clubs) to not say anything about it without it looking dodgy. 

I give them a Good week...all staff will from the super-league clubs around Europe,will first want to gather their thoughts....

Then decide es individuals when they consider...its The right Time to approach the press und make a statement, that will have a long

lasting Effect on their careers & lives....

One cant expect panic, Or ones-jerk reactions or statements...!!

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I honestly don't care if they all u-turn and pretend like nothing has happened. The cat is out of the bag and they can get ****ed for all I care. 

Yep. They've stated their cause now. And have to face the consequences regardless of what happens from today. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

That's a good point actually.  At the moment those teams have mass appeal because they're so successful.  Put them in a league of better teams, and they're not successful any more.  Bit like when you go from primary school to secondary school - top dogs one minute, lowest of the low the next!

Thing is, this whole thing is about money - if Arsenal/Spurs become the whipping boys of the ESL, what do they care? They still get their guaranteed slice of the new big pie. 

4 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Thing is, this whole thing is about money - if Arsenal/Spurs become the whipping boys of the ESL, what do they care? They still get their guaranteed slice of the new big pie. 

But people won't be interested.  In TV revenue terms, Arsenal vs Spurs will be the equivalent of something like Palace vs Southampton. 

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I find it quite pathetic that no current England players have come out and opposed this. Fernades, Podence and Cancelo have. 
Where is Kane, Maguire, Rashford etc? 

Rashford rightly criticised the government on not providing free school meals. 

...the clubs would have shut them down!!!

Imagine the conflict there would be with the assets of the club openly going against their own hierarchy. What would that say to the other clubs signed up and to the media who have I bet you provisionally agreed to cover this circus. 

Wonder what happens if a club meets the criteria to join as one of the 5 'qualifiers' but then they send a massive shit in the post with a big two fingers up at ESL, 'nah you're alright'. Do the ESL just go down a list until they get a club that's interested? Having seen the backlash today, what club would do that? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

there is nothing to compete for if you’re not top 3/4. Can’t get relegated, dont need to attain a certain position to qualify for a competition. Whats the point?

Isn't this basically the logical end to this narrative of football as entertainment. 

I feel this is all the logical end to what has happened since the PL started. The take over by these owners, an FA, FIFA and UEFA (all of whom would rather not acknowledge their complicity in all this) more invested in money than what fans think. Unable to uphold even basic regulatory things like FFP. That now defunct neoliberal idea that corporations will provide (be it for workers or fans) as long as you enable them to maximize profit. Well it's all come home to roost. This is just football's flavor. 

I hope no matter what happens we can get to readdress a lot of this stuff. We can reset this sport into a more healthy position imo. It probably wont happen as I had a similar feelings towards the pandemic and how we'd rethink what we want for our society. But listening to the over paid idiot Lineker basically say we should find a compromise with these clubs angered the cr*p out of me. No. No compromise now. 

2 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

I'm still baffled about the 5 teams who are allowed in.  They can get relegated after a season, is that right?

I'm guessing it'll be more of a "thanks for coming, we'll call you" kind of thing, regardless of where they finish lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It is interesting to check on Blue Moon, Red Cafe, as there is a definite watering down of the outrage as the day has worn on, Liverpool fans not so much.

I'd be fuming if it were us. Seething. 

Liverpool fans love to feel outraged and hard done by so this is Christmas for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

But people won't be interested.  In TV revenue terms, Arsenal vs Spurs will be the equivalent of something like Palace vs Southampton. 

Yes and? The ESL clubs will get one 15th of whatever broadcast deal they get. That won’t be determined on a club by club or fixture by fixture basis. 

Palace vs Soton is more ‘boring’ than Man Utd vs Liverpool but all 4 clubs get the same broadcast income