Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Says a man only good enough to earn on cap for Jamaica, which isn't the country of his birth. I reckon the established internationals or the ones who are chasing a cap of to cement that place will be very worried about a ban. And generally they are the best players.

I think Kane would be pissed off if he was banned from playing for England for example.

It needs a few big players to come out and categorically say that they're are against it. They won't, they'll stay quiet in fear. But your likes of Fernandes and De Bruyne surely won't be happy about not being able to represent their countries. 

There will be a few who probably don't care, but I'd like to think that these players, who were once fans, who had idols and grew up pretending to be Romario or Klinsmann etc and dream of one day playing at a world cup will eventually take some sort of stand against it 

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Whatever happens here, I don't see how fans of these clubs nor the governors of their domestic game and numerous other stakeholders in the game can forget this. This is abysmal and heads need to roll.

Minute fans are back in any reasonable number, their voice will be made pretty clear. 

Times like this you realise how lucky we are. What an amazing football club we all follow here. Its been just the 25 years since the first game I attended, less than many of you, but we’ve been from the top division down to the third tier and then all the way back to the very top. Number one. Never a dull moment, the idea that this is somehow less marketable than friendlies every week should be laughable. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Even if you disregard everything that is wrong with this from a moral point of view, how bad does the actual competition itself sound? Just the same teams playing each other with no jeopardy whatsoever. Yuck. 

With no jeopardy! And after 3 matches when it is obvious Arsenal and Spurs are shit and not going to be competitive, their matches will be dross. It must be horrible for the fans of these clubs.

8 minutes ago, 21st Century Fox said:

That's what worries me the most. Players like Youri, Wilf, Maddison being snapped up to play in some Big 6 Domestic, B-Team with the incentive to one day play in their mid-week A-Team.

Exactly.  Let's face it, for a young player, what would be the motivation to stay in the "new" Premier League?  You're not getting paid much, you're never going to play against the big European teams, you'd see your mates from the Big 6 teams earning millions and playing Barca and Real Madrid.  So you'd think "yeah I'll do my time on the Man U bench, playing in the B-team in the Prem, and waiting for my turn to get into the A-team so I can play with the big boys".  The rest of the Prem teams would basically be academies for the Big 6, even more than they are already. 

This goes to show what fking morons these owners are if there's any truth in this - reported by Manchester Evening News 

"Manchester United are drawing inspiration from Sir Matt Busby 's trailblazing venture into the European Cup with their support for the widely-condemned Super League.

Senior United sources believe there are parallels with the 'defiance' of Busby and the current regime's support for the Super League, a 20-team concept that would effectively end United's participation in the Champions League, née European Cup."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-news-super-league-20418117

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Even if you disregard everything that is wrong with this from a moral point of view, how bad does the actual competition itself sound? Just the same teams playing each other with no jeopardy whatsoever. Yuck. 

Its the American way , they hate relegation because it makes for a bad financial model the markets do not like risk.  imagine how much the value of a team like Arsenal will go up because investitures are guaranteed revenue long term,  it's a not right and its against everything football should be and they don't give a fu@k you have to see it from their point of view its just money to them 

I know we probably aren't one of the 3 remaining clubs to be part of this sham, but I'm still a bit like this below, praying we aren't. Especially if that Schalke inclusion is real lol (I don't think it is!)

source.gif

Edited by StanSP

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I know we probably aren't one of the 3 remaining clubs to be part of this sham, but I'm still a bit like this. Especially if that Schalke inclusion is real lol (I don't think it is!)

source.gif

Nah if we are included I’m done with Leicester

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonesy9 said:

I think they should kick the 6 teams out of the premiership.

Then you would be fighting with us for the title every season.

That sounds good to me.

Let the money grabbing shits go.

But without TV money our players couldn't be played and they'd leave

What I could see happening....if the Super League moves forward, the next tier of clubs (Leicester among them) likely scrambles to create their own version of a 'super' league and then the lower tiers in all Euro countries become what they are in the baseball in the US - essentially minor league operations with dwindling support.  They're basically a way to entertain the kids and owners need to get creative to attract families.  There is next to zero interest in the game itself at this level expect among the most hard core fans.  

Look at Major League Baseball for the model, though there would be a huge difference in revenue between the main league and anything at the next tier (whereas the American and national Leagues are equals).  

But bottom line is it destroys the sport at the lower levels. In the US baseball has become an old man's sport because no one plays it after about age 12 and the kids really don't follow it.  In fact John Henry's Boston Red Sox have to hire consultants to try to make young kids become fans of the sport.  

Edited by TeaMen Tom

I’m a massive rugby fan and the talk of no relegation as wound me up for years in that sport. I understand the present no relegation situation in rugby brought on by COVID and the fact teams would go bust if sent down, but last seasons end of season games were an awful spectacle with sides not fearing relegation playing kids to give them experience and basically forfeiting matches with the better sides and going strong against similar rivals. Without relegation sport isn’t the same. We all want success but staying up on the last day of the season brings almost equal joy sometimes. 

• Like 2

What i don't understand is, why are they wanting to stay in their domestic competitions? They will be earning 4 times as much for being in a league which matters to them. They would either play the kids or get kicked up and down the league by players jealous about the wealth and will be cheered from the whole stadium for doing one of the greedy lot in.