Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

I'd be fuming if it were us. Seething. 

Liverpool fans love to feel outraged and hard done by so this is Christmas for them. 

I agree, it’s an abomination of greed, and the fans were (and many still are) riled up, but it does seem to be mellowing.

Agree about Liverpool, this is what they were made for

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

Yes and? The ESL clubs will get one 15th of whatever broadcast deal they get. That won’t be determined on a club by club or fixture by fixture basis.  

As an Arsenal or Tottenham fan, would you not expect that their 15% share would soon be under review?  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Mehrez said:

Anyone want to club together for a hilarious plane banner?

“Actually we were wrong, it means feck all”

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Hate quotes like this, makes it seem like the club are upset that they werent asked lol

I don't read it like that. Don't have to be upset about it but you can at least have had the courtesy to be recognised, especially given the recency of our title win. 

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

As an Arsenal or Tottenham fan, would you not expect that their 15% share would soon be under review?  :rolleyes:

All I’m saying is, currently each PL club gets an equal share of broadcast deal. 

the assumption is that the ESL clubs would get an equal share of a broadcast deal. So whether Arsenal vs Spurs becomes the equivalent of Burnley vs Fulham is irrelevant to their demonstrably naked commercial interests - their income will be the same regardless of football quality or achievement - that’s the entire point of the ESL in the first place 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

If the project was a commercial success, I suppose they could seek to extend it - establish a Super League 2nd Division or whatever - but would these "big clubs" want that and would it be financially viable?

These dirty dozen (or fifteen) are looking to cash in on their global fame via TV megabucks.

The likes of Celtic & Rangers have massive fanbases in Scotland, but are they that big in China, India, SE Asia, Africa or the Americas - or even in the rest of Europe?

Would TV companies want to offer megabucks for the right to broadcast a Super League Div 2 with, say, Celtic, Rangers, Leicester, West Ham, Zenit, Lazio, Villareal, Lille, Galatasaray, Ajax, Bruges etc.?

Surely the point is that these dirty dozen feel that they have much bigger name recognition and big-name star players to cash in on via global TV audiences - and they feel that wasting their time playing smaller clubs merely restricts the amount of money they can make. 

They both have a huge worldwide fanbase, probably linked to the Irish/Scottish diaspora.

Edited by Buce

24 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

I'm still baffled about the 5 teams who are allowed in.  They can get relegated after a season, is that right?

Like the Champions League it will be the 5 clubs that have performed best in the season so it would quite naturally be different teams ever year especially as I assume it would be across all the FA of Europe.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Like the Champions League it will be the 5 clubs that have performed best in the season so it would quite naturally be different teams ever year especially as I assume it would be across all the FA of Europe.

From which countries?  And they'd get to play in the super league for a year, then chucked out again, and another 5 brought in?  Bizarre.

1 minute ago, Qwerty said:

From which countries?  And they'd get to play in the super league for a year, then chucked out again, and another 5 brought in?  Bizarre.

Those that have performed the best across all European Leagues which is how you currently qualify for the CL, it's no different except the 15 would be in automatically. Likewise next year it will be those top 5 teams which could be different teams. They haven't said how they would measure the best 5.