Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

3 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

What i don't understand is, why are they wanting to stay in their domestic competitions? They will be earning 4 times as much for being in a league which matters to them. They would either play the kids or get kicked up and down the league by players jealous about the wealth and will be cheered from the whole stadium for doing one of the greedy lot in. 

They want a foot in both camps in case the ESL goes tits up!

3 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

What i don't understand is, why are they wanting to stay in their domestic competitions? They will be earning 4 times as much for being in a league which matters to them. They would either play the kids or get kicked up and down the league by players jealous about the wealth and will be cheered from the whole stadium for doing one of the greedy lot in. 

They've wanted out of the domestic cups for years, now all of a sudden they want back in

Just now, Silebyfox_89 said:

Only way to kill this money grab from the 'big six' clubs is to force them to sell there stakes at a market rate and adopt the German 50+1 model.

Send the foreign owners out of our game.

Even those from Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We've got to come to terms with this happening. So we need to be creative- fleece the six teams with regards to transfer fees and live with competing in the remaining European tournaments. I've no problem with playing the likes of Sevilla, Atalanta, Villarreal, Napoli, Benfica etc.

2 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

They want a foot in both camps in case the ESL goes tits up!

Yeah very true, but this is a 23 year agreement I believe. If I was down the kp and one of them played us, I would be happy for our players to kick them up and down the pitch. As the next time they played us, they may just play the kids and we could do better in the league, where 7th would be enough for champions league. Seems weird even typing that. 

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

They've wanted out of the domestic cups for years, now all of a sudden they want back in

The cups I understand them not being arsed about but why would they want to stay in the prem when it doesn't matter where they finish? Unless they are wanted it to be a b team league for them 

As they say, if it's not broke don't fix it. There is no need to overhaul the current system - football is as popular as it'll ever be and part of the lure of the champions league is knowing you've earned the right to be amongst the best in the world. If it was handed to you then it takes the integrity out of the competition. 

• Like 2

Okay, now im going to take a look at this not as a fan of football.. simply as a business proposition. 

Its still absolutely honking! 

The numbers they are throwing about make no sense. They are planning less games but expect to raise more money than the champions league... a lot more. 

Now given the fact that 90% of the world are against this. They are going to lose a significant amount of viewers. Typically myself and most football loving fans would tune into a champions league game between juve and real madrid but because of this, lets say they lose 60% of those people. The revenue will not be big enough to keep it running. 

So with local boycotts and a huge boycott by most neutrals... where is the money coming from. Because the tv, marketing and everything else is going to dry up as the viewing figures fall. 

Theyve created this with huge ambition because they think that people will be crying out to watch the same clubs slug it out over and over again.. but the reality is that a lot will lose interest fairly quickly. 

I can see this being the fall from grace for many and the rise of a new era of mega clubs, ourselves, leeds, villa, everton, west ham,wolves.... we are going to be licking our lips because the premier league will never die.... with or without these fools. 

Edited by Lambert09

Would like some statement from the club on this. Appreciate it's likely to wait until after the meeting tomorrow but would be nice if there was even a soft approach that said they were concerned and will consider the stance of the fellow Premier League Clubs.

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I think this demonstrates just how dangerous this is. I expect many people will be thinking "ahh it's okay the FA/Fifa/Uefa will stop it eventually."
A 250m increase in valuation at the announcement of a project that has no clear roadmap and has been rejected by pretty much the entire football community? imagine the stock price if it goes ahead. United will NOT care about UK fans, they will likely not really care about their players either, there will be plenty of top class talent out there who will join united and give up their international career to be on 400k a week.

Juventus up 18% Now think of the money that will be coming from TV rights for what will pretty much be like a cup final for most fixtures? The money involved in this project is dangerous, and very well could be much more important than the fans.
image.png.4af70efdc9452bcc268b1005b8e4ebb3.png

1 minute ago, North Leeds Fox said:

The cups I understand them not being arsed about but why would they want to stay in the prem when it doesn't matter where they finish? Unless they are wanted it to be a b team league for them 

You answered your own question. They could essentially buy Maddison from us, double his wage to play in their B team and earn his place in the ESL. This is why they can't be allowed to compete in both. The Super League must be forced into a body of it's own, expelled from all UEFA and FIFA competition. 

• Like 1

I didn't need another reason to love our club, but I am so proud that we are not part of this. I'd be absolutely devastated if I supported one of these clubs, there is no thought whatsoever for the actual match going fans. 

The only thing that's pissed me off about it really is that the whole thing has taken the shine off the amazing day, and achievement, that was yesterday. Where I should have spent the whole day with a smile on my face and gloating to my colleagues, the conversation has revolved around this instead. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Because the PL is still very lucrative and satisfies the home market as well as spreading their name world wide. It's all about marketing their names.

You have to view this SL as a direct replacement for the CL. 

Guest bennytwohats
25 minutes ago, Finn Claw II said:

It’s quite funny seeing UEFA get all angry and greed and lies.  Hardly a model organisation.

The expanded Champions League basically protects the big clubs.

It all stinks really.

Let them go but only if they also leave the domestic leagues.  

This worries me. People are going to rally behind them under the guise of opposing the super league but the new CL proposals have been snuck in largely under the radar. The super league proposal stinks but the new CL is basically a step towards that.

If we are taking to the streets with our pitchforks we should take UEFA down with them.

1 hour ago, Qwerty said:

One of the things that is confusing me - on the BBC discussion board, several people seem to think this will be a good thing.  They say the "big 6" can go away, with their dirty oil money and referee bias - leaving the remaining teams to participate in a fairer more enjoyable Premier League.  What they don't seem to realise is that without the Big teams playing, the TV companies won't be interested in the Premier League.  And without TV money, the players won't get the wages they want, and will all be desperate to leave (and sit on the bench for Man City etc).  There won't be the money going down to the lower leagues, so teams who are already struggling after Covid will struggle even more.  

The TV companies would pay a lot less money, certainly, but would still have some interest.

For a start, the "Super League" is planned as a mid-week tournament and there will be an awful lot of demand for TV football at weekends, throughout Europe and worldwide.

In theory, if expelled from national leagues the SL could reorganise to play at weekends, but they'd pretty soon ruin their brand if the same 15 teams were playing one another twice a week, wouldn't they?

These SL clubs already have 25+ top players apiece, so other players defecting to them for higher wages would risk spending their careers as 3rd or 4th choice, hardly ever playing at all - and the clubs would have rocketing wage bills.

A few players might be up for that, if motivated only by money, but I imagine it's a tiny minority - most players like/want the money but also want to play football and challenge for trophies.

There'd be less money at every level of national leagues and a lot of adaptation would be required. Maybe players at lower levels would have to resume semi-pro status - or the game might need to find extra sources of funding.

But football did exist with multiple tiers before the Premier League was formed and all the big TV money came in.....and clubs only rarely went bust.

The problem is, even if fans boycott the ground for these games, it won’t matter as there will still be thousands of kids tuning in from America, China etc. It’s an attempt to access the worldwide market with a shiny new ‘best of the best’ product. They will just end up flying in a load of mad oligarchs to fill the grounds anyway. Or worse yet, start playing the games at random neutral grounds in LA, UAE etc.

I really hope they ban the players from national teams etc, then we will find out which players have anything about them.

Edited by FerrisBueller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I didn't need another reason to love our club, but I am so proud that we are not part of this. I'd be absolutely devastated if I supported one of these clubs, there is no thought whatsoever for the actual match going fans. 

The only thing that's pissed me off about it really is that the whole thing has taken the shine off the amazing day, and achievement, that was yesterday. Where I should have spent the whole day with a smile on my face and gloating to my colleagues, the conversation has revolved around this instead. 

This. You’d like to think even if they would ask us (which would never happen seeing as we’re the main reason they’ve done it :ph34r:) we’d say no anyway. 

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

The TV companies would pay a lot less money, certainly, but would still have some interest.

For a start, the "Super League" is planned as a mid-week tournament and there will be an awful lot of demand for TV football at weekends, throughout Europe and worldwide.

In theory, if expelled from national leagues the SL could reorganise to play at weekends, but they'd pretty soon ruin their brand if the same 15 teams were playing one another twice a week, wouldn't they?

These SL clubs already have 25+ top players apiece, so other players defecting to them for higher wages would risk spending their careers as 3rd or 4th choice, hardly ever playing at all - and the clubs would have rocketing wage bills.

A few players might be up for that, if motivated only by money, but I imagine it's a tiny minority - most players like/want the money but also want to play football and challenge for trophies.

There'd be less money at every level of national leagues and a lot of adaptation would be required. Maybe players at lower levels would have to resume semi-pro status - or the game might need to find extra sources of funding.

But football did exist with multiple tiers before the Premier League was formed and all the big TV money came in.....and clubs only rarely went bust.

Important point, but that's just on current numbers. If this is commercially successful, I would not be surprised to see clubs begging to join. Might aswell throw Celtic and Rangers in there, massive fanbases and they both dominate their league. Celtic especially would be financially strong.