Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Unfortunately there is a school of thought that believes exactly that.

Equating bank balance with acumen/intelligence/"success" every time.

I think it’s entirely possible than they believed they have UEFA/ the FA, etc. covered, but didn’t count on the UK government getting involved.

From the Press Conference

14:01JORDAN BLACKWELL
Will it happen?
“We don’t know. It’s hard to predict the future of the game. If this was done years ago, which teams would have been in? It’s so hard to forecast. What we all have a notion to do is protect the game. Sport is about competing and progressing on merit and not what you’ve done historically. There will be a lot of conversations.”

14:01JORDAN BLACKWELL
Informed about the Super League plans before they broke?
“I have a good relationship with Susan Whelan and she informs me of what’s happening, but for everyone it came as a surprise in terms of what’s put out there. The level of emotion that has come out. It was news to us all. We need to think logically about what we can do.”

“I’ve got a call with Susan later. I haven’t seen her face to face at Wembley. I’ll have a cup of tea with her later. Leicester are an example of a club where you can challenge the hierarchy and that’s through a sound business model and performing on the pitch. Susan has led the club brilliantly. We’ve seen the progress. Her relationship with Top gives the club a strong foundation. The fans can be grateful that the ownership know it’s about the supporters. Susan leads that connection between the ownership and the club.”

13:58JORDAN BLACKWELL
Players' thoughts on Super League?

“You’ve seen some of the reports in terms of players not playing for their country. That’s why these guys play their game. The financial rewards are there, but it’s about the game as well. That would not sit comfortably with any player. There are lots of discussions to be had. We’ll continue to have that and get a handle on it.”

City's success had a role in it?
“I think it will have played a part. Throughout Europe, Leicester City is maybe not what is wanted but the story shows what can happen in sport. Our job was to disrupt the market. What defines the top six? Clearly it must be money. We have tried to disrupt that in a football way. It will be ongoing, there will be discussions. Sometimes you need to take the emotion out and look logically at it, and logic will sort it out.”

More on the Super League
“The game is for the supporters and in turn the players. There has been a line drawn in the sand and it has moved across. It’s a purely business proposal. The merits and reward in sport, it looks like that isn’t taking into the ideas going forward. We see the evolution of the game, and the beauty of teams that develop. It’s about competition. The six teams that are there, they cannot forget that the Premier League’s brand is based around all 20 teams. Because the bottom team can beat the top team. It probably does feel like an attack on people’s ability to support. Everyone will fight to protect that and the game in this country.”

13:57JORDAN BLACKWELL
Super League?
“You see the statement from the Premier League, we’re aligned with that. The sport and the competition should be based around your domestic performance, rather than historically. I’ve listened to a lot. There’s a lot of emotion involved and rightly so. Hopefully over these next few weeks, everyone can sit down again and look at it and act on the best interests of the game. Football is moving from sport to business, but we must never lose that it’s a game for players and supporters. That has to be at the forefront of every decision.”

13:32JORDAN BLACKWELL
Rodgers is here
Here we go. Answers should come through in around 20-25 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Wouldn't you need a reason to refuse a licence? Bit hard to argue Man U didn't qualify for one when they've been hosting games for 100 years plus. 

Yes in competitions that were/are officially approved and sanctioned by the likes of the FA, Premier League, Football League, UEFA and FIFA.  The SL has literally none of that.  Not a single organisation outside of their own little clique supports them.  

The government may decide to strip clubs of their operating licences unless they take part in officially sanctioned competitions.

It's game over.  Sounds like some may be beginning to realise it.

3 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I think it’s entirely possible than they believed they have UEFA/ the FA, etc. covered, but didn’t count on the UK government getting involved.

Given the way governments (UK and otherwise) have often got into bed with such people in the past it's possible that they didn't see the rebuke from that corner coming, yeah.

Shocking cowardice by these owners to not come out and face the music. Leaving it to their employees to comment on decisions that have nothing to do with them. Well... it's not shocking at all now I come to think of it.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 2

Just now, David Hankey said:

The fact of the matter is what Leicester City achieved in 2016 was a shock to the 'Big Six' and this is some sort of retaliatory measure. They should all go and sit on the naughty step.

No it's not. The PL has been about money for years. They don't care what goes on, what their fans want. The idea of a super league has been banded about for the past decade or so.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Throughout Europe, Leicester City is maybe not what is wanted but the story shows what can happen in sport. Our job was to disrupt the market. What defines the top six? Clearly it must be money. We have tried to disrupt that in a football way

We did it the right way and the elite didn't like that. Simple as that. 

• Like 2

I still just can't get around how on the nose it is. It's like somebody's made an unconvincing parody of football executives, not that it will ever even happen but what they haven't accounted for is just how shit it'd be lol .

When extant tournaments or competitions get 'revolutionised' for the worst you still have decades of history, goodwill and the structures in place for fans to stay interested. Relying on the interest of (notoriously fickle) overseas fans to prop up a brand new, otherwise unpopular format is so amazingly short sighted. It needs players, sponsors, managers, broadcasters, fans, media and governing bodies to pass a threshold level of 'buy in' for it to be worthwhile and almost of none of those listed are going to do it in significant enough numbers. It's like they've seen some fag packet maths and so prematurely spaffed - they didn't for one second think how it might actually work in practice.

Sure, they can buy the interest of some officials, players or whoever but they can't buy enough and it just seems insane they've gone all in so early. I can't help but think there must be more than meets the eye with this because I can't believe the execs involved are this stupid. I'm not convinced but I think this essentially a bluff to shake UEFA down and the elite clubs' respective leagues down for more money, instead they've just massively overplayed their hands. Even if they face no punitive measures at all (there'll be some relatively minor punishment imo), the reputational damage alone is huge.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I just watched Pep, that interview, on SSN and he did criticise it but also went around the bushes a bit as he kept saying "we [managers] don't have enough information to have an opinion" which is what Klopp's point was. It was too early for Tunchel but hopefully he criticises also.

To be fair it seems they know as much as the general public know about it, also they have to be careful what they say in public tho as at the end of the day it’s their employers they are talking about, they could be raging inside but still have to appear fairly diplomatic and professional to everyone else 

• Like 1