Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

20 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Completely wet that. Screams “please come back!” 

Should be making clear there’ll be severe consequences off the back of this. Going off the tune of that I can’t see it though. 

1 minute ago, FoxesFourLife said:

They need to expel the 6 teams from the Premier League this new league will only diminish the Premier League as the no.1 global football league and will cost the league with tv revenues

It's not that simple though. The unfortunate (and fairly obvious) downside to that plan is that by expelling the 6 teams, it will also diminish the Premier League as the number 1 global league and will cost the league with tv revenues.

That's why its such a difficult dilemma for the league to deal with

Just now, FoxesFourLife said:

They need to expel the 6 teams from the Premier League this new league will only diminish the Premier League as the no.1 global football league and will cost the league with tv revenues

This won't happen, like it or not those 6 clubs bring in a hefty chunk, if not the majority, of the PL's income itself so they'll only be shooting themselves in the foot. Most of the reason why overseas fans want to watch the PL is because of these teams plus a handful of others.

I have a feeling it will be points deductions or some sort of transfer embargos or something like that, I can't see them being expelled from the PL myself, but you're right, they can't get off scot-free

• Like 3

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Completely wet that. Screams “please come back!” 

Should be making clear there’ll be severe consequences off the back of this. Going off the tune of that I can’t see it though. 

They can't really go head first into giving out punishments etc. they need to go through everything meticulously, can't go giving the ESL and JP Morgan and all their lawyers anything that could make it easier for them to defend against

ESL have already filed 1 injunction to stop club and player bans, they have had a lot more time to plan a way to defend themselves and will have plans in place whatever route is taken by the governing bodies

Whatever the Premier League and Governing bodies do, they need to make sure they do every single thing correctly and by the book to give the ESL as little room to manoeuvre as possible

Hearing a lot from ex-players about how it would be unfair on players to punish/ban them from Euros/WC - I’m sorry. If you don’t like it, refuse to sign up to ESL. Nobody shed a tear for players and fans of clubs who had to suffer as their Wigan, Bolton, Bury owners financially ruined their clubs. There will be some collateral damage here - if it were highly paid footballers, that would be acceptable as a scenario.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mohammedsaqib said:

Hearing a lot from ex-players about how it would be unfair on players to punish/ban them from Euros/WC - I’m sorry. If you don’t like it, refuse to sign up to ESL. Nobody shed a tear for players and fans of clubs who had to suffer as their Wigan, Bolton, Bury owners financially ruined their clubs. There will be some collateral damage here - if it were highly paid footballers, that would be acceptable as a scenario.

Lot of ex players completely removing blame from them. Which seems wrong for me given they're the ones who continue to demand more and more wages. They're all part of the problem for me 

1 minute ago, mohammedsaqib said:

I think they should be given a choice come mid/end May (supported by UEFA/FA/PL whatever). If clubs remain in this super league, they can either stay with their club but not play for their national team, or they can come out of their contract and be free agents that anyone (non super league teams) can sign for free in the following season and they are allowed to play internationals.

10 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure that he would've been asked anyway. 

Probably not. But we need absolute momentum that this is toxic. A career finisher. 

Make it so working with this lot is the equivalent of being found on the BNP members list or Pete Townsend doing 'research' whilst looking at illegal images 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

It's not that simple though. The unfortunate (and fairly obvious) downside to that plan is that by expelling the 6 teams, it will also diminish the Premier League as the number 1 global league and will cost the league with tv revenues.

That's why its such a difficult dilemma for the league to deal with

Who gives a rat's shite sometimes what needs to be done is the correct and moral thing. Thinking about money first and whether the Premier League will or won't be the best league in the world is academic, that's exactly how these clubs are wired to think and why things are turning to shit.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think they should be given a choice come mid/end May (supported by UEFA/FA/PL whatever). If clubs remain in this super league, they can either stay with their club but not play for their national team, or they can come out of their contract and be free agents that anyone (non super league teams) can sign for free in the following season and they are allowed to play internationals.

As much as it sounds nice that ain't gonna happen, assets worth hundreds of millions, which is what the players are aren't going to just walk away for nothing.

Just now, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Who gives a rat's shite sometimes what needs to be done is the correct and moral thing. Thinking about money first and whether the Premier League will or won't be the best league in the world is academic, that's exactly how these clubs are wired to think and why things are turning to shit.

Don't get me wrong, i agree with you. They want a closed shop league, lets close off our league to them. Throw them out on their arses. But the Premier League and the 14 clubs are still businesses at the end of the day and they will have to take into account the financial implications of any sanctions they might impose

What needs to be immediately stopped in its tracks is the term ‘Legacy Fans’. I’m tired of hearing folk yak on about how they have loved their club for x amount of years and state that they live, sleep and breath football. 

if that’s the case, you really need to stop being an INCEL and promptly a grip. 

Edited by Glorious Leicester Fan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Don't get me wrong, i agree with you. They want a closed shop league, lets close off our league to them. Throw them out on their arses. But the Premier League and the 14 clubs are still businesses at the end of the day and they will have to take into account the financial implications of any sanctions they might impose

The premier league will still have more than enough money and likely still more money than any other league.

Lke I said, that's the issue, stop thinking about money first, this is a moral, competitive and sporting integrity issue first and foremost.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FoxesFourLife said:

They need to expel the 6 teams from the Premier League this new league will only diminish the Premier League as the no.1 global domestic  football league and will cost the league with tv revenues

Whilst I would like to see that happen, it won't unfortunately. The punishment must be severe though, even if they pull out of the ESL, they have brought the sport into disrepute. I want to see them deducted enough points to relegate three of them and guarantee that the other three will not be playing European football next season. It really does need to be that severe to deter them from doing it again.

6 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

As much as it sounds nice that ain't gonna happen, assets worth hundreds of millions, which is what the players are aren't going to just walk away for nothing.

Agreed, however this is a seismic alteration to their working conditions, possibly breaking the contract they have signed, and a restriction of workers rights if they are unable to play for national teams and in certain competitions? Breach of contract?

Edited by Kilworthfox

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

I’ve said earlier in the thread that I think that the 14 clubs have more financial power in this situation than people realise.

But right now we’re in a really high-stakes game of chicken. Both sides are capable of holding the other to ransom. It is in nobody’s interests to have a Premier League without the greedy 6 and it is not in the interests of the 14 to have a Premier League running in parallel with a Super League. 

The only reasonable way out of this is for the “Super” clubs to back down and the only way that will happen is if they think they will be worse off under the new structure than the current one.

There are a few ways that can happen, amongst others:

1) The other 14 get rid of them. Vote them out, deduct points, whatever the mechanism. This is hugely risky but would be quick and decisive. As I’ve said earlier I think at that point the risk becomes too big for the Greedy 6 and they will come crawling back.

2) Don’t watch. Without viewers there is no advertising or subscription money. They will default on their debt to JP Morgan and go out of business (or come back). This is a new product, we have no loyalty or interest in watching it, there’s no history to it. If you don’t like it, don’t watch. Your life will not be worse for missing out on a European Super League that currently does not exist. Simple. 

3) Don’t buy from the advertisers. I won’t be buying anything from anybody advertising this. Again, this is highly likely not to be a problem - does it really matter if you have to stop drinking Heineken or going to McDonalds? You might say “what difference do I make?” but there are tens of millions of people across Europe opposed to this.

The most important thing is that people do not give up and do not forget. The Guardian live article earlier made the very salient point that the Glazers have ridden out similar controversies before (where are those green and gold scarves now?) because people ran out of interest/energy.

We are too passive as fans in this country. We need to come together and act as a unit to put pressure on the authorities and the clubs in question where we can. We need to stand not only with our club but with supporters of other clubs.

So the only option is 1 then. Try telling a billion people worldwide not to pay or not buy advertised products, that’s the market this will be aimed at. Imagine just charging £1 per game, that’s £10 billion a week. Makes every other completion look petty I’m comparison.