Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

On 22/06/2021 at 07:29, Ric Flair said:

If it's Bertrand, which it's likely to be then I'd be astonished if we are going 3 at the back, quietly confident now with the players linked that it'll be 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking for a 4 4 2 in a diamond formation.

Kasper

Justin (eventually)

Forfana

Evans

Castange

Ndidi DM

Soumare CM

Tielemans CM

Maddison CAM

Daka

Kel

Of course this looks good on paper but I'm no manager.

3 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

My thoughts exactly. I was thinking for a 4 4 2 in a diamond formation.

Kasper

Justin (eventually)

Forfana

Evans

Castange

Ndidi DM

Soumare CM

Tielemans CM

Maddison CAM

Daka

Kel

Of course this looks good on paper but I'm no manager.

Not bad and I agree with Castagne over Ricky

23 hours ago, shen said:

What about his teammate Mæhle? Will probably cost the same as Castagne though.

I can't see them losing Gosens and Mæhle. He had a blinding game against Russia though. My top choice Dane would be Damsgaard, though. He looks like a mercurial talent.

Gosens is surely just a bit out of our league and I do worry about having too much of  a good thing. Gosens, Riccy P, Castagne, JJ and Luke Thomas and only being able to give two of them game time is a problem. A good problem to have I suppose in some ways.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Gosens is surely just a bit out of our league and I do worry about having too much of  a good thing. Gosens, Riccy P, Castagne, JJ and Luke Thomas and only being able to give two of them game time is a problem. A good problem to have I suppose in some ways.

I think JJ won’t be the same this season if Ricardo is anything to go by, it’ll be more next season. Which then someone like Ricardo could be sold next summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers at Celtic often used a 4231 that looked like a 3241 when attacking. Tierney was the lopsided fullback who when attacking acted as an additional winger, but dropped back when losing possession:  

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/celtic-vs-rangers-tactical-analysis

Long term, I think we will use a similar system, but with a lopsided right back instead of a left back. Ricardo or Castagne as that player. Maybe having two strikers in the team, but one of them slightly behind to the side of the other so we can get two of Nacho, Vardy and Daka into the team. The lopsided formation would also have explained why we'd have an interest in Gosens too.

Last season we were one of the most varied teams in the league, playing many different formations and even changing during the game. This season will see an evolution of that, and we will probably see:

4231 (the classic)

3412 (last season's most used formation due to injuries)

433 with Soumare, Ndidi and Tielemans. Probably to be used against teams where we struggled last season physically, e.g. West Ham.

442 Diamond

541 (used against Man City away, Arsenal away, Leeds away)

As it stands we can play any of these systems, though 4231 means either Perez, Ricardo or Albrighton as RW. But we did almost qualify for the Champions League with that lineup, and we now have an overall stronger squad. 

Like most fans on here though, I would like to see a top class RW brought in, as our best performances under Rodgers have been in the 4231. Barnes has been excellent, but RW has always been the weak link in that line-up.

Thanks for that @StriderHiryu, I'm hoping Sowah comes back as well, maybe he can also produce something a bit different. I think a flair player could be the missing jigsaw piece that moves us to the next level.

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers at Celtic often used a 4231 that looked like a 3241 when attacking. Tierney was the lopsided fullback who when attacking acted as an additional winger, but dropped back when losing possession:  

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/match-analysis/celtic-vs-rangers-tactical-analysis

Long term, I think we will use a similar system, but with a lopsided right back instead of a left back. Ricardo or Castagne as that player. Maybe having two strikers in the team, but one of them slightly behind to the side of the other so we can get two of Nacho, Vardy and Daka into the team. The lopsided formation would also have explained why we'd have an interest in Gosens too.

Last season we were one of the most varied teams in the league, playing many different formations and even changing during the game. This season will see an evolution of that, and we will probably see:

4231 (the classic)

3412 (last season's most used formation due to injuries)

433 with Soumare, Ndidi and Tielemans. Probably to be used against teams where we struggled last season physically, e.g. West Ham.

442 Diamond

541 (used against Man City away, Arsenal away, Leeds away)

As it stands we can play any of these systems, though 4231 means either Perez, Ricardo or Albrighton as RW. But we did almost qualify for the Champions League with that lineup, and we now have an overall stronger squad. 

Like most fans on here though, I would like to see a top class RW brought in, as our best performances under Rodgers have been in the 4231. Barnes has been excellent, but RW has always been the weak link in that line-up.

Can't Daka play RW as well? Certainly better than the options you have listed. Would allow us to get another attacker on the pitch as well. I look at Perez and Albrighton as depth and see Ricardo as our starting RB. Of course all of this depends on who is in form.

7 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Can't Daka play RW as well? Certainly better than the options you have listed. Would allow us to get another attacker on the pitch as well. I look at Perez and Albrighton as depth and see Ricardo as our starting RB. Of course all of this depends on who is in form.

Rodgers has played ,what seems like dozens , in that position . He will probably give him a go.

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Not really. He could be put out there, but Daka is more of an explosive player rather than a technical one. Fast, strong, cannon of a shot, but not the sort that is going to use skill to beat a man, but pace instead. I could see him being used a bit like Vardy where he drifts out to one side, but in general is more of a central player. He's young enough to adapt, but scout reports show Daka plays a lot like Vardy. Edouard is a good player, but doesn't play in the same way, whereas Daka is clinical, especially on the counter attack and presses like a mad man from the front. We've decided to pay a bit more money for Daka over Edouard because Celtic put the price up and for the same money, we can get the player that is better suited for our style.

What is possible is we see Rodgers use the system he used at Liverpool during the year he almost won the title:

Tactical Philosophy: Brendan Rodgers • Outside of the Boot

In this formation, the full backs provide the width, the midfield plays very narrow. Look at the two signings we think we have made so far; Soumare and Daka. Soumare would player where Henderson plays in the above diagram, Maddison where Sturridge plays, and TIelemans for Coutinho. Unless of course we sign Coutinho as well lol! We would use 2 of Vardy, Daka and Ihenacho up top, and with Ndidi / Tielemans / Soumare we could monster up the midfield. When the system works, the game is played in the opponent's half and it's wave after wave of attacks. Liverpool conceded tons of goals in that season, but their attack was simply phenomenal and they blew many teams away.

In this system the question would be where would Harvey Barnes play, who was one of our best players till injured. I suppose he could play as either the 10 or a striker, but neither really suits him. However, this season like last, I don't think we will see a fixed formation. We will change the system and team for each game we play, with us having a squad rather than a first team. Of course some players will always be first pick; Tielemans, Schmeichel, Evans, Vardy, etc. But I expect to see a lot more rotation so each time we play our full backs they can play 100% and really use their engines as it's important no matter how we play. We lost to Slavia because of a bad performance but knackered players. With a deeper squad we should aim to challenge in Europe - the Villareal team that won it are nothing special.

We might also see 4222, the system Southampton use and that Daka himself played in at Salzburg. RB Leipzig under Naglesmann also play the same system. But that still requires a good RW which we don't have, and haven't been linked with.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SO1 said:

If that's true that could be a brilliant way to get him used to the league before vardy slows down (more).

It used to be done a lot more historically. Heskey I'm sure started there for the first team(?) and Thierry Henry for the Arse.

I'm not so sure Vardy will always be a first pick.  If his form is as it was in the second half and you have other options, especially as dictated by the formation, he's not going to be an automatic on the team sheet.  Plus, he could clearly benefit from playing less.

• Like 1

Not really. He could be put out there, but Daka is more of an explosive player rather than a technical one. Fast, strong, cannon of a shot, but not the sort that is going to use skill to beat a man, but pace instead. I could see him being used a bit like Vardy where he drifts out to one side, but in general is more of a central player. He's young enough to adapt, but scout reports show Daka plays a lot like Vardy. Edouard is a good player, but doesn't play in the same way, whereas Daka is clinical, especially on the counter attack and presses like a mad man from the front. We've decided to pay a bit more money for Daka over Edouard because Celtic put the price up and for the same money, we can get the player that is better suited for our style.

What is possible is we see Rodgers use the system he used at Liverpool during the year he almost won the title:

In this formation, the full backs provide the width, the midfield plays very narrow. Look at the two signings we think we have made so far; Soumare and Daka. Soumare would player where Henderson plays in the above diagram, Maddison where Sturridge plays, and TIelemans for Coutinho. Unless of course we sign Coutinho as well lol! We would use 2 of Vardy, Daka and Ihenacho up top, and with Ndidi / Tielemans / Soumare we could monster up the midfield. When the system works, the game is played in the opponent's half and it's wave after wave of attacks. Liverpool conceded tons of goals in that season, but their attack was simply phenomenal and they blew many teams away.

In this system the question would be where would Harvey Barnes play, who was one of our best players till injured. I suppose he could play as either the 10 or a striker, but neither really suits him. However, this season like last, I don't think we will see a fixed formation. We will change the system and team for each game we play, with us having a squad rather than a first team. Of course some players will always be first pick; Tielemans, Schmeichel, Evans, Vardy, etc. But I expect to see a lot more rotation so each time we play our full backs they can play 100% and really use their engines as it's important no matter how we play. We lost to Slavia because of a bad performance but knackered players. With a deeper squad we should aim to challenge in Europe - the Villareal team that won it are nothing special.

We might also see 4222, the system Southampton use and that Daka himself played in at Salzburg. RB Leipzig under Naglesmann also play the same system. But that still requires a good RW which we don't have, and haven't been linked with.

Didn’t Rodgers say somewhere recently that he’d have won the league with Liverpool if he’d had the defence he had now?

I think you’re right about the desire for more options to rotate the squad. Should we keep Tielemans he’d need a rest at some point - he’s already played nearly 70 times this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Would love to see us sign Madueke, who would be perfect for this formation imo. Barnes and Madueke as wingers that also function as more central players would be perfect imo.

Iheanacho Daka

Barnes Ndidi Tielemans Madueke

Thomas Soyuncu Evans Ricardo

Would be a very strong formation to have up our sleeve, especially against the likes of West Ham or Villa - teams that will try to attack us. Would be perfect for counterattacking.

https://en.fullmatchsports.co/salzburg-vs-atletico-madrid-full-match-ucl-2020-21/?tab=first-half

That's very interesting about Southampton and this match with Atletico is exactly why I asked the question. Watched the first 30mins and it seemed as though Daka was playing right side attacker or wing position. Although still taking up positions in the center of the pitch when Salzburg were on the attack. Totally understand what you mean about the difference in type of technical ability though between a classic winger and Daka though. Thanks.

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Didn’t Rodgers say somewhere recently that he’d have won the league with Liverpool if he’d had the defence he had now?

I think you’re right about the desire for more options to rotate the squad. Should we keep Tielemans he’d need a rest at some point - he’s already played nearly 70 times this season. 

That's crazy. No one can complain about us not getting our monies worth.

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

He did say that and if that Liverpool team had Kasper Schmeichel and Johnny Evans in it they undoubtedly would have won the league. But that was a while ago. Would such a system and tactics work now? I think they would but football is evolving all the time. That system against the way Klopp’s Liverpool play would be suicide because of their wide forwards and raiding full backs.