Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LestaLad

Robin Gosens (unconfirmed)

22 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think it's important to take the group stage seriously from the start. Better to get the job done and then rest players for the dead rubbers, rather than mess up because of a weak team and put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I also think we should have faith in our squad. They have really proved their worth this season and I think we have more then enough to carry us through. 

In theory the above should work but then we never seem to get in that comfortable position  to bring them all off. That or one of them gets injured.

I am convinced our end of season slumps both season under Rodgers have not been mental issues more due to fatigue and having to use our key players too often. 

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can we change the title of the thread to ‘robin gosens (not coming here)’ ? 

yeah think it needs to tbh; facts are hes not coming to us....

if he goes it will be to a team in Spain or another Italian side,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stoney Fox said:

I also think we should have faith in our squad. They have really proved their worth this season and I think we have more then enough to carry us through. 

In theory the above should work but then we never seem to get in that comfortable position  to bring them all off. That or one of them gets injured.

I am convinced our end of season slumps both season under Rodgers have not been mental issues more due to fatigue and having to use our key players too often. 

Re: having faith in the squad - I agree to a point. I think that a few of our fringe players performed incredibly well the season just gone. In fact, it's hard to believe JJ was considered back up a year ago. He could have been player of the season without the injury. Who would have guessed Nacho would end up top scorer after that Palace game? Thomas already looks the part at 19 years old. I thought Mendy was very good early in the season, as well.

I was more talking about the group as a whole, rather than individual matches. I think it's important to qualify as early as possible. If you achieve it with games left, then you can rest important players. The same does apply to a single game, but, like you say, it's rare that you get a big enough lead to allow you to use subs to rest players.

I agree about fatigue being the main reason for both end-of-season slumps. However, I think this may only be remedied by improving the strength in depth of the squad. If we'd been resting key players earlier in the season, then we may well have dropped more points and not been in such a strong position towards the end. Thankfully, it looks very much like we are improving the squad depth this summer. I'm confident there won't be more than one key player leaving, if that, and it looks like we're adding Soumare, Daka and Bertrand, at least. On top of that, KDH and Sowah are returning from loan, and this is all very early in the transfer window. If we're looking to add a RW and a CB, I'll be very happy.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not really. He could be put out there, but Daka is more of an explosive player rather than a technical one. Fast, strong, cannon of a shot, but not the sort that is going to use skill to beat a man, but pace instead. I could see him being used a bit like Vardy where he drifts out to one side, but in general is more of a central player. He's young enough to adapt, but scout reports show Daka plays a lot like Vardy. Edouard is a good player, but doesn't play in the same way, whereas Daka is clinical, especially on the counter attack and presses like a mad man from the front. We've decided to pay a bit more money for Daka over Edouard because Celtic put the price up and for the same money, we can get the player that is better suited for our style.

What is possible is we see Rodgers use the system he used at Liverpool during the year he almost won the title:

Tactical Philosophy: Brendan Rodgers • Outside of the Boot

In this formation, the full backs provide the width, the midfield plays very narrow. Look at the two signings we think we have made so far; Soumare and Daka. Soumare would player where Henderson plays in the above diagram, Maddison where Sturridge plays, and TIelemans for Coutinho. Unless of course we sign Coutinho as well lol! We would use 2 of Vardy, Daka and Ihenacho up top, and with Ndidi / Tielemans / Soumare we could monster up the midfield. When the system works, the game is played in the opponent's half and it's wave after wave of attacks. Liverpool conceded tons of goals in that season, but their attack was simply phenomenal and they blew many teams away.

In this system the question would be where would Harvey Barnes play, who was one of our best players till injured. I suppose he could play as either the 10 or a striker, but neither really suits him. However, this season like last, I don't think we will see a fixed formation. We will change the system and team for each game we play, with us having a squad rather than a first team. Of course some players will always be first pick; Tielemans, Schmeichel, Evans, Vardy, etc. But I expect to see a lot more rotation so each time we play our full backs they can play 100% and really use their engines as it's important no matter how we play. We lost to Slavia because of a bad performance but knackered players. With a deeper squad we should aim to challenge in Europe - the Villareal team that won it are nothing special.

We might also see 4222, the system Southampton use and that Daka himself played in at Salzburg. RB Leipzig under Naglesmann also play the same system. But that still requires a good RW which we don't have, and haven't been linked with.

Unfortunately I can't access the link you've posted. But on your question about where Barnes would play in the kind of 433 formation Brendan played as Liverpool manager when they went close to the title, wouldn't he take the Sterling role, with Daka and Vardy playing the Sturridge and Suarez roles? So you would have a fluid front 3 of Barnes, as well as Vardy and Daka, who both seem able to drift wide.  Tielemans, Soumaré and Wilf in midfield would then be the midfield 3. Maddison would be the one to miss out in this formation, unless you dropped him back as an 8 in place of Soumaré?

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Unfortunately I can't access the link you've posted. But on your question about where Barnes would play in the kind of 433 formation Brendan played as Liverpool manager when they went close to the title, wouldn't he take the Sterling role, with Daka and Vardy playing the Sturridge and Suarez roles? So you would have a fluid front 3 of Barnes, as well as Vardy and Daka, who both seem able to drift wide.  Tielemans, Soumaré and Wilf in midfield would then be the midfield 3. Maddison would be the one to miss out in this formation, unless you dropped him back as an 8 in place of Soumaré?

Surely Maddison could play either the Sterling role, or the midfield role? He's said he's eager to increase the number of positions he can play, it's why he played on the wing so much the other year.

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

He used a few systems there, a 433 and a 442 diamond. For the 433 yes he will plays in the position you mention but it’s not as straightforward in the 442 diamond now we have 3 strikers. 

But we can always change system and personnel based on who’s available and who we are playing and that’s what I expect we’ll do. 

10 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Link?

Barcelona are going after Jose Gaya from Valencia

Nothing about us though

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/tmw-piu-gaya-che-gosens-per-la-fascia-sinistra-del-barca-l-assalto-dopo-l-addio-di-junior-firpo-1552902

More Gayà than Gosens for the left wing of Barça: the assault after the farewell of Junior Firpo

More José Gayà than Robin Gosens as a substitute for Junior Firpo (and above all Jordi Alba) on the left wing of Barcelona. According to what TMW has gathered , as soon as the negotiations for the sale of the Dominican side to Leeds will be officially defined, the Blaugrana will launch the definitive assault on the full-back class of '95 of Valencia and the Spanish national team.

In addition to an economic adjustment, Barça will try to convince the bats with two technical counterparts: Carles Aleñà and Martin Braithwaite , respectively midfielder and striker very welcome to Mr. Bordalas. The contacts between the two "friendly" companies go on relentlessly and the next few days could record important steps forward for the success of the deal, with Gosens (requested by Koeman himself ) instead more complicated to achieve given the high price requested by 'Atalanta (35 million euros) and, at the same time, the poor financial liquidity of the culé .

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Link?

4 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Got a link?

Seen a few but the merc have a hit here :

Could just be people adding us in, rather than an actual link. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Just now, Mark said:

As I said near the start of this thread it just encourages a back five and look how that's ended for them.

England was a back three ( it is not a 5, it rarely is) and they won. :D

32 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Shhhh that doesn't count

Neither england nor germany count for whether a back 3 is good for us, plenty of teams have succeeded with a back 3 over the years, it clearly doesnt work for leicester as shown by the lack of results when it's used

14 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Neither england nor germany count for whether a back 3 is good for us, plenty of teams have succeeded with a back 3 over the years, it clearly doesnt work for leicester as shown by the lack of results when it's used

Yet that FA cup we won doesn't count does it?

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 1