Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Chelsea away, Tues 18th May (For Ric Flair)

I'd like to think that part of our problem in the recent past is that we didn't quite believe we were good enough to mix it with the big boys.

This season we seem to have turned a corner, and beating two of them to win the FA Cup should give the squad plenty of confidence going into these final two games. They have silverware and medals to prove they deserve to be where they are. I don't think they'll let their guard down. No way Vardy, Kaspar and Co. would let them.

Edited by CloudFox

48 minutes ago, HoChiMinhFOX said:

I'm curious, where are the guys that were saying they'd rather top 4 over an fa cup win? 😂 Mental.

I think there are a few converts this morning, but it puts to bed another recurrent theme on these pages.  Leicester City - bottlers?

I have to admit that I have questioned whether there is a certain fragility in our mindset and yesterday we all had an emphatic answer to that question.  I hold my hands up and apologise.  I shall never doubt you again.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

It isn't mental, money unfortunately rules football, CL is where it's at, you want to see more finals and silverware you need the best players, to get and retain the best players you need CL if you're Leicester City, so it's fairly logical if there were a one or the other choice to choose CL over FA Cup.

To choose the potential for silverware over actual silverware does not seem very logical to me :dunno:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Now is the time to bask in the afterglow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, murphy said:

I think there are a few converts this morning, but it puts to bed another recurrent theme on these pages.  Leicester City - bottlers?

I have to admit that I have questioned whether there is a certain fragility in our mindset and yesterday we all had an emphatic answer to that question.  I hold my hands up and apologise.  I shall never doubt you again.

Agreed. Now they've had a taste of success hopefully it will spur them on even more!

18 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

It isn't mental, money unfortunately rules football, CL is where it's at, you want to see more finals and silverware you need the best players, to get and retain the best players you need CL if you're Leicester City, so it's fairly logical if there were a one or the other choice to choose CL over FA Cup.

This makes no sense to me.

If money ruled football, Chelsea would have won yesterday and Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool would be in the top 4 instead of us.

We’ve just proved we don’t need to be in the CL to win silverware and the players that have joined us recently did so without us being in the CL. 

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

To choose the potential for silverware over actual silverware does not seem very logical to me :dunno:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Now is the time to bask in the afterglow.

You are more likely to win silverware if you are as good as Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, so to join that group in competitive terms requires adding to and the retention of a quality team, and to climb that slippery pole requires qualification to the CL. I don't like it, but imo that's the way it is. 

This is huge. Point needed at least. 

I expect a lot of changes for them, so a fresher and probably more dangerous prospect. Havertz, Pulicic, Chilwell and probably Giroud too. 

Think we'll need to bring in a couple newbies. Riccy P and Praet or Papy I reckon. 

I'd be over the moon if we can get something!!!

5 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Things I took from yesterday:

Mount and Kante are very good players.

The moment the players ran to the fans before the trophy lift was the bit that broke me.

I support the best football team in the world.

Don't think get enough credit for how technical good he is, Chelsea best player on the ball yesterday, was at the heart of their best moments 

26 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I was one of them. Yesterday did change my mind to a degree. As a fan, qualifying for and playing in the CL won't touch that feeling of yesterday but the facts remain the same. Qualifying for the CL progresses us more as a club than winning the FA cup. 

Top quality players aren't attracted to teams because they've won the FA cup, they are attracted to teams that play on Tue/Wed nights in the Champions league. Not to mention the increased revenue that comes with it. 

Agreed. And if the worst case scenario happens and we do crash out of the top 4, Brendan could likely go to the likes of Arsenal who would be able to offer him money we cannot match and a team with strength in depth.

But that could change for us with CL qualification, and with the extra revenue, we'd almost certainly get some top tier additions to the squad. It's a no brainer.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

This makes no sense to me.

If money ruled football, Chelsea would have won yesterday and Spurs & Arsenal would be in the top 4.

We’ve just proved we don’t need to be in the CL to win silverware and the players that have joined us recently did so without us being in the CL. 

Our story is incredible, why is it so incredible? Because to do what we have done, to get where we have, is against all odds. We have got where we are but unearthing talent under the radar with a strategy that is admired by the top teams in Europe, but I cannot see how we continue to be cherry picked by richer teams and reach them with simar quality. Top level players want CL football, without it they will look to move on. Arsenal and Spurs will still be a pull for top quality players because of wages, stadium (fan base) and location, for us to compete, we need to offer something extra, and that's CL.

So we’re not the new Spurs. That is good. I’ll say it again because no cvnt has really reacted, but we’ve beaten the CL winners already this season, whichever one of the greedy snides lifts it. 

We are more than capable of winning again against Chelsea and the pressure is now massively on them. Not easy no, but doable. So let’s get out there and facking do it. 

37 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

you say it’s fairly logical yet we have won the prem and FA cup within the last 5 years flans have spent far less than the greedy 6. And that’s without ‘ retaining’ champions league..

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

Agreed. And if the worst case scenario happens and we do crash out of the top 4, Brendan could likely go to the likes of Arsenal who would be able to offer him money we cannot match and a team with strength in depth.

Really? I could see the appeal of the name of Arsenal but neither of those things are applicable right now.

7 minutes ago, MPH said:

you say it’s fairly logical yet we have won the prem and FA cup within the last 5 years flans have spent far less than the greedy 6. And that’s without ‘ retaining’ champions league..

I would never ever say it was a fluke or a freak, but we did win it on a fairly low total, and we then struggled to retain our first 11 and gain further talent. We have had to revoulutionise our play style and build a £100m training facility to move on following our win, look at Blackburn for example, without the immense talent behind the clubs decision making we could have easily fallen away as they did, as I have said it is a slippery pole we're climbing and the clubs we're challenging are far more equipped to climb that pole.

19 minutes ago, Corky said:

Really? I could see the appeal of the name of Arsenal but neither of those things are applicable right now.

Well, as you say their name and you have to believe they will always attract top players based on their history. Also, they will have more - money-wise than us - to offer him a great package with the aim of getting back to being a routine top 4 club.

I could see us doing the double over them after breaking them yesterday or we turn up half-pissed still and get hammered by four goals. 

Don’t mind either way after yesterday.

38 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I would never ever say it was a fluke or a freak, but we did win it on a fairly low total, and we then struggled to retain our first 11 and gain further talent. We have had to revoulutionise our play style and build a £100m training facility to move on following our win, look at Blackburn for example, without the immense talent behind the clubs decision making we could have easily fallen away as they did, as I have said it is a slippery pole we're climbing and the clubs we're challenging are far more equipped to climb that pole.

I don’t know if you realize what you are saying here but you’re basically admitted that it’s more than just about money... if you have the right people in charge and you recruit well, your dreams can come true. Again. More than once.

6 minutes ago, MPH said:

I don’t know if you realize what you are saying here but you’re basically admitted that it’s more than just about money... if you have the right people in charge and you recruit well, your dreams can come true. Again. More than once.

We spent £100m on a training ground to retain and improve our status. We did break the mould so to speak but you can't keep competing against the giants without CL and the money it brings in if you want consistent chances at silverware, that's why the big 6 are so desperate to retain their status with top 4 finishes. The decent players are attracted to clubs that finish there, I'm sure that will be a big consideration for Youri and his signature 

• Like 3