Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Chelsea away, Tues 18th May (For Ric Flair)

I have no idea what to think about this. If I was being realistic, then Chelsea will comfortably move us aside as they will be annoyed from yesterday and we will probably be knackered. 2/3-0.

The optimist in me thinks that Chelsea are under pressure and we will turn up sitting deep again and hoping for a chance or two. We will be confident and without pressure.

Who knows, it's football.

I would sign up for a draw now because if we lose, I think Top 4 is gone. A draw and it stays in our hands and I think we will do a job last game. A win and the job is done of course.

2 hours ago, MPH said:

You say we can’t keep competing with the giants without champions league money but we have finished in the top 4-5 two seasons in a row AND won the  FA cup. all without champions league money... 

the training ground has only just been built so that’s money we haven’t benefitted from yet and certainly not the  reason for our recent success

I think you have to look at out wage bill Vs turnover to realise we need extra income just to sustain the current spending.

The speculation on wages has worked so far but there comes a tipping point that has started to be exposed this season, if we continue to reach the Europa League we need more players, but the money involved in the competition cannot justify the investment.

Despite this, Rodgers and the players have done an incredible job to stay in contention when you consider the size of the squad, but this won't continue indefinitely without an increasing budget.

• Like 4

I'm just not buying into this idea that we will be knackered from the FA Cup and at the same time they won't be. I know they have some players they can rotate for freshness but they put so much effort into that Final (like us) and the difference you feel when losing, is so much more exhausting, physically and mentally. 

I also think they have been full of confidence since Tuchel came in and playing with a swagger and real belief, well that has gone now. A loss to us in the Final and to Arsenal in the league, will have hit that confidence pretty hard. This is still the same squad that was terribly inconsistent for most the season. 

On the flip side, we have ourselves who have managed to perform under huge pressure in a final against a team that were favourites, and win! The boost to our confidence that we can do that again, under pressure and when it matters, is huge! 

We will need grit, some stand out performances and of course a helping of luck, but I really believe we will win again on Tuesday and leave a nervous, erratic and low on confidence Chelsea, to battle it out with Liverpool, whilst us fans can finally put our feet up! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I'm just not buying into this idea that we will be knackered from the FA Cup and at the same time they won't be. I know they have some players they can rotate for freshness but they put so much effort into that Final (like us) and the difference you feel when losing, is so much more exhausting, physically and mentally. 

I also think they have been full of confidence since Tuchel came in and playing with a swagger and real belief, well that has gone now. A loss to us in the Final and to Arsenal in the league, will have hit that confidence pretty hard. This is still the same squad that was terribly inconsistent for most the season. 

On the flip side, we have ourselves who have managed to perform under huge pressure in a final against a team that were favourites, and win! The boost to our confidence that we can do that again, under pressure and when it matters, is huge! 

We will need grit, some stand out performances and of course a helping of luck, but I really believe we will win again on Tuesday and leave a nervous, erratic and low on confidence Chelsea, to battle it out with Liverpool, whilst us fans can finally put our feet up! 

The difference Saturday makes is that Tuchel will know who performed and not. Chilwell will start Tuesday no doubt, he caused us problems. They will also have that extra desire to win because they simply have to after two losses and knowing a draw leaves them vulnerable to missing out on Top 4.

However, knowing they have to win could give us some space if they open the game up. It's important that we keep it tight and keep them out as long as possible.

8 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

We have been erratic lately but the last two games we have been pretty solid , keep that up and we should be OK.

This! Plus Chelsea have been exactly the opposite: solid, but erratic in their last 2 (losses).

Another massive game. But we’ve shown we’re up for the big games. 

They’re under more pressure than us for the points and they have a CL final looming.  They’ll be on it fast from the start, but I think Brendan will know that. (Wouldn’t be surprised if he changes the formation / starting 11 a little for the start of the game to combat them). 

Weirdly, we’re not built for Newcastle at home; we’re built for beating Man U, winning the FA Cup and then twatting Chelsea again in the space of 8 days. 

Keep The Faith. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

2-3 Vardy 2 Maddison. 

Happening kids. 

Think it will be another tight, nervy game with just a goal deciding it, as whoever scores first will defend for their lives and not commit guys forward. 1-0 win us then!

1 hour ago, Vestan Pance said:

I think you have to look at out wage bill Vs turnover to realise we need extra income just to sustain the current spending.

The speculation on wages has worked so far but there comes a tipping point that has started to be exposed this season, if we continue to reach the Europa League we need more players, but the money involved in the competition cannot justify the investment.

Despite this, Rodgers and the players have done an incredible job to stay in contention when you consider the size of the squad, but this won't continue indefinitely without an increasing budget.

The model we have been using so far is that almost every year we sell a star player and that funds the purchase of 2-3 others that become great purchases.

why do people think that this can not be sustained?

Now don’t misunderstand me, I think the champ league money will be great and it could find the purchase of a good player but what I don’t understand is why people think we NEED it to maintain success? I would argue we are already maintaining success. Without champions league money. We are using the proven model mentioned above.

Vardy will certainly have something to say, plus the Chelsea fans will give him some, which we know is rocket fuel for him. And I just have a feeling, Madders is about to book his plane ticket to the Euro’s in spectacular style. 

1 hour ago, Vestan Pance said:

You reckon we'll bank our entire finances on one season in the champions league?

It's a short term cash flow injection. Winning trophies is as valuable in the long term - commercial revenue far more sustainable.

Theyll be some announcements in the next few weeks and people will realise that the cl is not the be all and end all. It'll help us retain players for sure but they'll be no financial requirement.

Yesterday was huge for the club. Brands will be all over us now.

• Like 1

We have CL players. But we’re not (yet) a CL club.

The dream - be the best in Europe. CL football is the dream. Tuesday is the match.

We saw we can do it on Saturday. It can’t be a one off. We must go again.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Things don’t work out yet again? Worst case we finish 5th and have won a major trophy.

And we’re not about attracting top players. We spot emerging talent. Fofana, Maddison, Soyuncu, N’didi, JJ, Pereira. We develop our own talent. Barnes, Thomas, Chilwell.

Whether we finish 3rd, 4th or 5th, this will be the second best season in our entire history.

I agree and am thrilled we finally won the FA Cup. The atmosphere, even though it was coming from a telecast, was reminiscent of the euphoria we experienced after winning the Premier League.

But there are 2 games remaining and, by virtue of things still being in our hands, there are no excuses for not going all out to win them. We can't sit back whilst we still have control.

If we take our foot off the gas and finish 5th, we could lose Rodgers and Tielemans over the Summer. Like it or not, we'll certainly regret that.

Edited by Kendal Fox