Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Europa League 2021/22 Thread

On 27/05/2021 at 11:47, FOXSE said:

Winners of europa league are top seeds for the following champions league campaign, I think.

Yep think that’s right. It’s actually a very good way to qualify for the CL. 

I think people forget we were a Pot 1 team in 2017, and how important that was to how things panned out. 

I was gutted we didn’t qualify again this year by finishing 4th, but realistically we’d be a Pot 3/4 club, and I think we’d struggle to get out of the group stage. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Can't see us being anything else but Pot 2. Just need a fairly good draw and we'll be fine. Braga we did this season, Leverkusen are not scary. Even Lazio we could have a go at. Frankfurt have lost manager and players so will be average.

It shows how difficult it is to become an established European side.

By winning the cup and finishing 5th we essentially qualified twice via the two best methods of doing so and topped our EL group last season yet still we're likely to be in pot 2.

We've played 26 UEFA CUP/Europa League games in our history. For comparison, Villareal have played 136. We just gotta qualify every year to gain more points.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Adster said:

Just heard its likely it'll be approved to scrap it from next year. 

I'm in favour of it tbf, can see why a lot aren't but nothing worse than boring games because teams are parking it due to an "away goal".

I don't really have an opinion on it either way. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Koke said:

We need to get lucky again and get domeone  like Braga. Although looking at the CL qualifiers the only teams I'm worried about facing are Monaco, Benfica and Shaktar, all 3 have loads of CL experience. The rest we are better.

Not saying you Think this way, just Jumping in on your post..

I reckon before we posters get too cocky ,and telling all & sundry, and spaying expectations around....

We should look at ..how experienced most of these Teams are in playing decades in Europe, some with decent CVs in CL..

A Bit of respect towards our opponents, & less how ...> Crap, awfull, shit..<    they are..!!

Many of their fans ( players)  have enjoyed & followed our story....Including sending their commiserations , when we lost Vichai..

Much of this forums Frustration & disapointment, is built on putting down the opposition, and expecting a cake walk in most games

Enjoy us challenging & competing against these traditional European participant.Plus The others who must have put in a decent season

to qualify....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Corky said:

It is time for away goals to go. I'd probably go further and have no extra time, if the scores are level after 90 minutes of both legs then have penalties.

I agree. Extra time benefits the home team in the second leg, and gives them an unfair advantage. Two games over the same duration with no away goals, followed by penalties, to me is a fairer system.

• 3 weeks later...

Europa League Dates

Draw Dates:

Group Stage - 27th August

Knockout Round Playoffs - 13th December

Round of 16 - 25th February

Quarter and Semi Finals - 18th March

Match Dates:

Group stage 

Match 1 - 16th September

Match 2 - 30th September

Match 3 - 21st October

Match 4 - 4th November

Match 5 - 25th November

Match 6 - 9th December

Knockout Stages

Knockout Round Playoffs - 17th & 24th February

Round of 16 - 10th and 17th March

Quarter Finals - 7th and 14th April

Semi Finals - 28th April and 5th May

Final - 18th May 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Europa League Dates

Draw Dates:

Group Stage - 27th August

Knockout Round Playoffs - 13th December

Round of 16 - 25th February

Quarter and Semi Finals - 18th March

Match Dates:

Group stage 

Match 1 - 16th September

Match 2 - 30th September

Match 3 - 21st October

Match 4 - 4th November

Match 5 - 25th November

Match 6 - 9th December

Knockout Stages

Knockout Round Playoffs - 17th & 24th February

Round of 16 - 10th and 17th March

Quarter Finals - 7th and 14th April

Semi Finals - 28th April and 5th May

Final - 18th May 

Right then, who's sorting out who we have in the league after each of these gameweeks.....

On 29/05/2021 at 15:16, MGLCFC said:

I agree. Extra time benefits the home team in the second leg, and gives them an unfair advantage. Two games over the same duration with no away goals, followed by penalties, to me is a fairer system.

Then  the other Team should of done better at home....so no unfair advantage..Plus some Teams like Leicester do better Away from home...!!

Quirks  twists & turns of football...All Part of the game...

Though I would say, if both legs are goal-less,then have penalties....I like the idea of extra-time..Added spice..sort of buy one,get One free.

+ Survival of the fitess..!

Too many worrying about injuries,or Next game(s)...

I'lli say this every season...25-30 man squads...Bloody use them.!!..We are paying so clubs can afford such luxuries....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Then  the other Team should of done better at home....so no unfair advantage..Plus some Teams like Leicester do better Away from home...!!

Quirks  twists & turns of football...All Part of the game...

Though I would say, if both legs are goal-less,then have penalties....I like the idea of extra-time..Added spice..sort of buy one,get One free.

+ Survival of the fitess..!

Too many worrying about injuries,or Next game(s)...

I'lli say this every season...25-30 man squads...Bloody use them.!!..We are paying so clubs can afford such luxuries....

But for me this is the whole problem of away goals.  I don't see losing 3 -2 away from home should be any different to losing 1 - 0 as you could argue that you've only conceded 1 goal away from home, which is better than conceding 3. The net result is the same in either scenario, you've lost by one goal.

Scrap away goals for me, I can just about live with extra time, but I still feel the home team in the second leg is getting an unfair advantage of an extra 30 minutes in front of their home fans. Just my take on it and I know others will have differing views, which is why football has so many great debating points.

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 11:22, ALC Fox said:

It shows how difficult it is to become an established European side.

By winning the cup and finishing 5th we essentially qualified twice via the two best methods of doing so and topped our EL group last season yet still we're likely to be in pot 2.

The main thing is qualifying regularly. For example, Leverkusen don't do that well but they qualify most seasons and just rack up points. If we came back next year and the year after, we would start moving up.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 12:21, Corky said:

It is time for away goals to go. I'd probably go further and have no extra time, if the scores are level after 90 minutes of both legs then have penalties.

...penalties are a lottery and a poor way to decide a fixture!!!

At least with the away goal rule, you have put yourselves in a favourable position through game play and not a "one of" moment. 

Like qualifying in tournaments where you have won the first three games and you rest your better players for the last game having assured qualification. Absolutely your right to take this option as you have previously taken the opportunity to win the previous group game encounters.

Doing away with the away goals would more or less see teams playing for penalties, and in a cup game on a school night, playing extra time, with both clubs focused on penalties as their only aim does not bode well for supporters, or for the viewing public. The chances are, you are going to miss the last train home and you have to decide to leave before the game concludes if you want to get home that night. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...penalties are a lottery and a poor way to decide a fixture!!!

At least with the away goal rule, you have put yourselves in a favourable position through game play and not a "one of" moment. 

Like qualifying in tournaments where you have one the first three games and you rest your better players for the last game having assured qualification. Absolutely your right to take this option as you have previously taken the opportunity to win the previous group game encounters.

Doing away with the away goals would more or less see teams playing for penalties, and in a cup game on a school night, playing extra time, with both clubs focused on penalties as their only aim does not bode well for supporters, or for the viewing public. The chances are, you are going to miss the last train home and you have to decide to leave before the game concludes if you want to get home that night. 

If they Love Leicester ( until they die) then they would walk home...even 500 miles...