Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

Just now, Steve Earle said:

Just stop? He’s our player & our recruitment team, who’ve been after him for a while, rarely get it wrong.

Unconvincing so far for sure, but let him settle into our way of playing before writing him off.

This is FT and it can be a strange place.

I'm not a fan at all but i know why we got him and so maybe I need to lower my expectations a bit. Perhaps we should not bring him and bertrand on at the same time, especially not in a europa or big game. Lol.

For the love of god, pleasssssse turn into fofana or something. Make it happen!

7 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

Panic Vestergaard. 

The bloke has all the physical qualities but non of the footballing ones. Utter dross. 

He’s on a par with Ryan Bennett. 

I don't even think he's got that, and that's the worry. The lack of pace I could forgive (though it does limit us by default) but I've been surprised at quite how weak he's been as well. I thought he'd have a lot more strength and a bit better balance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanya said:

I disagree with people trying to defend Vestergard or claim he’s the victim of scapegoating. First of all, the caveats- he's only to blame for one of the goals and the defence as a unit was poor. But Vestergaard makes us noticeably shakier when he comes on. Let's be real, as wonderful as the attacking performance was (Soumare, Tielemans, Maddison and Daka were incredible) we won't win many games conceding three.

The disappointing thing about Vestergaard today was he was on for such a short time and he was at least partially responsible for one of the goals. He's the opposite of a steady defender. We are poorer when he is on the pitch and one must question why we bought him. 15 million for a player that worsens the team when he’s on the pitch is an awful blunder from the recruitment team.

People can complain that he is being scapegoated - but conceding the third goal took the gloss off the performance. We will get nowhere this season if we can't keep a clean sheet. And Vestergaard's wretched form (compounded by Cags' mistakes and Fofana's injury) is a huge part of that. To say otherwise is completely disingenuous.

Be serious. You have basically defined scapegoating. I can only assume you are ‘pulling of our legs’. lol

• Like 1

I can understand why people want to be support him or get behind him as he is our player. I want him to do much better than how he's performing currently.....

But deep inside when you see him on the touch line about to come on you know we will currently struggle with him on the pitch. He's been horrendous and it remains to be seen if he can turn this around as Southampton fans were glad they got rid of him.

People aren't weirdos for calling him poor. They are literally concerned we can't keep a clean sheet due to his errors, can't play a back 4 due to him being exposed for pace, and his non physical ability despite his size.

He needs to step it up and quickly.

Edited by TrickyTrevLeftPeg

It seems already that Rodgers has noticed he’s not hitting the marks expected - thus the return of Amartey to being ahead of him in the pecking order. If he was too invested in making him work we’d have seen Big Dan dropped for Vestergaard as soon as Evans returned to the fold.

The scouting team would feel his attributes were worth spending the rather moderate fee for, hoping we could push him on further - ironically (don’t take this comparison too far) they did the same when we signed Vardy all the way back then. We don’t get them all right as history has proven - Slimani comes to mind there.

Personally I’ve always felt his weaknesses were too profound to make him a top signing, or someone I’d have ever gone in for - he’s just that tad too slow pace wise, he hasn’t got the footballing intelligence of an Evans - and not really mobile enough for what we want to achieve as a side - but hopefully the coaches will be trying to improve these things on the training pitch so when he does get some starts we see some progression.

If it doesn’t work out hopefully we will be humble enough to do the right thing and get him a decent loan move in January while also bringing in someone else - I could see Vestergaard doing a job in a decent Serie A side in the right system.

As always I hope he proves us wrong, it’s down to him and the coaches now.

Edited by TAFKA Castroneves

It's wrong to say all of his performances have been poor. He was really good on his first start against Man City. But since then he hasn't performed well at all. Even his ability on the ball and passing out from the back, which I saw as his main strengths for Southampton and probably a key reason why we signed him, seem to have deserted him. But at least until Little Wes is back, he remains an important member of the squad so we really need him to pick up - and quickly. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

They aren't just calling his performances so far poor. It's an assassination on a player again after less than about 500 minutes of football. 

Perhaps people don't realise you can criticise performances and want more, without resorting to shit like "seen better Sunday league players", it's hyperbolic bullshit. 

Exactly this

👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanya said:

People can complain that he is being scapegoated - but conceding the third goal took the gloss off the performance. We will get nowhere this season if we can't keep a clean sheet. And Vestergaard's wretched form (compounded by Cags' mistakes and Fofana's injury) is a huge part of that. To say otherwise is completely disingenuous.

It's also disingenuous to pile on him for one goal when 2 others in the game were conceded without him on the pitch. Yet all people focus on is Vestergaard? It'd be fine to criticise all, but the focus only seems to be the 3rd goal just because its Vestegaard. The clean sheet was already gone by the time he came on and somehow its his fault? 

I'm by no means saying he's been playing well and I agree he could be much better, but the pile on after yesterday is OTT. But that's how this site works.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

Exactly this

👍

"Exactly", says the guy who relentlessly mocked Amartey when he arrived at the club, and spent last night explaining how poor our whole back line was (in the Amartey thread), forensically poring over the failings of all our defenders apart from Riccy, Evans, Cags, Luke, Bertrand and Vestergaard

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

"Exactly", says the guy who relentlessly mocked Amartey when he arrived at the club, and spent last night explaining how poor our whole back line was (in the Amartey thread), forensically poring over the failings of all our defenders apart from Riccy, Evans, Cags, Luke, Bertrand and Vestergaard

He's not quite alone when mockery (in form and extent) is the chosen method of illuminating a perceived shortcoming of manager, player or fellow poster. There is a dearth of constructive criticism all over these threads - where hyperbole is used to reinforce a weak hypothesis, because the poster is unsure of his/her own evidence, but wishes to lambast someone he/she has formed an inexplicable enmity towards. So a player experiencing loss of form becomes 'shite' or deserves getting rid of.

I've no axe to grind concerning Amartey, Pereira, Luke Thomas, Söyüncü  and certainly not Evans. As far as Bertrand and Vestergaard have become the target for vitriol, it appears to me that their transfers resulted from panic-buying and a lack of attention by the recruiting arm to defence - so tied up have they been in reinforcing other sectors.

Also there's been a reluctance to trust in Thomas being able to continue his remarkable début half-season. I sincerely hope that that negativity does not disincentify him. I also hope he gives this forum a wide berth - he'll learn nothing of benefit to himself here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gerblod said:

He's not quite alone when mockery (in form and extent) is the chosen method of illuminating a perceived shortcoming of manager, player or fellow poster. There is a dearth of constructive criticism all over these threads - where hyperbole is used to reinforce a weak hypothesis, because the poster is unsure of his/her own evidence, but wishes to lambast someone he/she has formed an inexplicable enmity towards. So a player experiencing loss of form becomes 'shite' or deserves getting rid of.

I've no axe to grind concerning Amartey, Pereira, Luke Thomas, Söyüncü  and certainly not Evans. As far as Bertrand and Vestergaard have become the target for vitriol, it appears to me that their transfers resulted from panic-buying and a lack of attention by the recruiting arm to defence - so tied up have they been in reinforcing other sectors.

Also there's been a reluctance to trust in Thomas being able to continue his remarkable début half-season. I sincerely hope that that negativity does not disincentify him. I also hope he gives this forum a wide berth - he'll learn nothing of benefit to himself here.

Well, of course not (the Daka chumps in last night's match thread are a perfect case in point)

But he's in a select band when it comes to the hyprocrisy of calling out others for it.