Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Vestergaard signs

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

He's better without the ball. Vestergaard has been woeful defensively so far. Don't get me wrong, I think a defender being able to defend is priority #1. 

But at the same time, Amartey is shocking with the ball while Vestergaard is our best defender with it (except maybe Baby Wes.) His range of passing is excellent and he's confident in himself to slot one through between the lines. 

If people want us to get over the issue of sideways passing around the back four and slowly get back to playing good football then I can understand why Vestergaard is getting picked above Amartey. Amartey and Soyuncu playing together right now is just a recipe for 5000 passes between CBs per game. 

Amartey might be better at reactive defending but his poor ability on the ball equally gets us in to plenty of bad scrapes anyway. And it was Amartey that fvcked up for Legia's goal. 

Ideally neither would even be at the club let alone starting games but given what's available to Rodgers, I do understand why Vestergaard is getting picked. 

I think when your down to 4th or 5th choice centre back than you have to accept there will be some shortcomings in their game, be it on the defending side, or the passing side.

It obviously a personal opinion, but I would rather start the better defender and lose some of the passing ability, than play a car crash at the back just because he can ping a decent ball out wide. Obviously Rodgers thinks differently and that's fair enough, but it is the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

We keep going round and round with this. 
Amartey is crap. He’s not a Premiership quality defender.

Unfortunately it looks like neither is Vestergaard

But the buck stops firmly with Rodgers over this. We needed to buy proper defensive cover in the summer. Cags had had an awful Euro’s. Evans is injury prone, Amartey just isn’t good enough and the injury to little Wes (by far the best CB we have) was very unfortunate 

Rodgers went out and bought Daka (who we hardly ever play), waited and waited and then seemingly bought Vestergaard as a panic buy.

That’s rubbish management and we are now suffering because of it.

This club needed a better defender. Not another fookin ‘squad player’ but a first choice centre back.

Amartey isn’t crap. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

Amartey isn’t crap. 

Amartey isn't a crap central defender but he's not very good at playing the style Brendan demands. He's great at last ditch blocks and is quite physical but he lacks the technical ability and passing Brendan craves. 

• Like 1

All we have done during the summer is boosted a squad… non of the players we bought were ever going to be starters when everyone is fit..

it all seems very slimani, Musa, inler etc at the mo..

we needed a CB even without Fofanas injury.. it would I have been apparent through the summer that evans was always going to be struggling..

with an injury that can’t be treated, we may only get another half a dozen games out of him this season then that’s his career done..

we are firmly in the shite at present , with no real light at the end of the tunnel..if there wasn’t money for an extra signing or two in the summer, there will be non in January either..

id say we have reached our peak with the current players, manager and style of play..BR will move to pastures new when the opportunity arises..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rigga said:

All we have done during the summer is boosted a squad… non of the players we bought were ever going to be starters when everyone is fit..

it all seems very slimani, Musa, inler etc at the mo..

we needed a CB even without Fofanas injury.. it would I have been apparent through the summer that evans was always going to be struggling..

with an injury that can’t be treated, we may only get another half a dozen games out of him this season then that’s his career done..

we are firmly in the shite at present , with no real light at the end of the tunnel..if there wasn’t money for an extra signing or two in the summer, there will be non in January either..

id say we have reached our peak with the current players, manager and style of play..BR will move to pastures new when the opportunity arises..

Re the defence… absolutely spot on 

1 hour ago, GingerrrFox said:

I thought he’d be solid and do a job but actually it was a mistake to buy him. We should have gone all in for Tomiyasu. 

Based on what? 

Unfortunately he was a bang average defender in a bang average side. 

I think we missed a trick to go and buy a defender with real presence. We have a few similar ball playing defenders, but not really any angry defender defenders. 

I've only seen Tomiyasu once - any idea if he would have come to us?  

I’m with @Col city fan I’m afraid, Amartey is crap….. he is an athlete and that is about as much as you can say about the guy, he has the finesse of one of those inflatable advertising sausage things you occasionally see floating around and second hand car sale’s garages. 

It is a bit of a myth that he doesn’t let us down when he plays, because he does and it often leads to conceding goals, like Warsaw, **** knows what he was doing, but it wasn’t defending. 

He might be okay in a three, but I feel totally uneasy with either Jannic and Amartey playing, both are as bad as each other. So why not just see what Benkovic can do….. 

But, problem is the longer this kind of form continues the worse the confidence will get. I do not accept that it’s simply the omission of Evans that has resulted in our form nose diving, we still have quality players out there, we have all of our attack, most of the midfield and at least a defence of some sort, but we’ve shown signs of this form twice under Rodgers, and this is where he will prove his worth by turning things around, there is more than enough quality in that side to be performing better than we are doing. 

There was a few mins in the first half against Legia Warsaw and for much of the second half that Vestergaard starting stepping forward and being more on front foot, which helped our midfield and broke up their play. 

He's capable of it but the lack of confidence (and pace) means our defence is staying too far back, so teams are hurting us between the lines. 

Needs someone to command that defence, if not Kasper, to push the defence out and get closer to the midfield. 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2021 at 16:57, deanolegend1989 said:

He’s a Peter Taylor standard signing.

My other team is Welling United, which means I've had Peter Taylor as manager of both my clubs (and England as well). He's only had three games so far at Welling and the supporters are just starting to get confused with his substitutions. Poor them, they don't know what they're in for. I can confidently say that Vestergaard would not be an improvement on our defence which is bad enough anyway. I think Peter Taylor would give Vestergaard a swerve. 

17 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Hate to bring this up after such a good win but it’s frightening how bad this guy is.

The worse signing we’ve made since the Peter Taylor days. He’s absolutely shockingly bad.

Agreed. But big Dan isn't as bad as people make out here tho !