Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

England friendlies.

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Relative to the rest of the world / Europe, your current squad is as close to objectively better than the "Golden Generation" as possible. 

With the exception of France, most of Europe's big sides are going through some sort of transition or crisis. 

Yeah, it's a fair argument to make.

I guess it just sticks in my craw when folks state (or imply) that Southgate is the only (or biggest) issue with the England team and state that as if it's a fact on the level of the Earth being an oblate spheroid or flipping a coin will result in heads, tails or edge, and that contrary opinions are somehow contradictions of fact on that level, rather than actually being legit opinions subject to debate.

Just now, adam said:

Still no palmer. What's the point in calling these players up if your not gonna give them a go.

Someone from Chelsea has probably kindly asked Southgate not to select him..

3 minutes ago, adam said:

Still no palmer. What's the point in calling these players up if your not gonna give them a go.

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Someone from Chelsea has probably kindly asked Southgate not to select him..

Yes he was an injury doubt wasn’t he ?

It's all well and good saying 'it's only a friendly' but these are the only games have to prepare. England were also pretty w*nk in the Nations League. You can't pass off every game as it 'doesn't really matter.'

Edited by Tielemans63

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, it's a fair argument to make.

I guess it just sticks in my craw when folks state (or imply) that Southgate is the only (or biggest) issue with the England team and state that as if it's a fact on the level of the Earth being an oblate spheroid or flipping a coin will result in heads, tails or edge, and that contrary opinions are somehow contradictions of fact on that level, rather than actually being legit opinions subject to debate.

He is obviously, and again I think this is about objectively true, the weak link in the England national teams set up. You have a talented squad and a failed manager who nobody had hired in years as a coach. 

What I would say to that is that a lot of countries are held back by shit managers. Belgium were for ages, Portugal are, the last world cup was full of football terrorists. 

Your Klopps and Guardiolas don't really want to do international management anymore, the prestige is all at club level on the Champions League. So it's easy to have some sympathy with your FA because it's not like there's a line of world class managers coming in. 

But then they need to have the confidence to go the other end of the career spectrum and back a young, progressive coach with modern ideas and an actual footballing identity. Southgate doesn't have a discernable philosophy, he just organises you and hopes individual excellence will win you games. There's no system, there's no ideas. 

Can you imagine the carnage someone like Enzo Maresca could cause with Foden, Bellingham and Co getting you to play quick, creative, attacking football? 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

He is obviously, and again I think this is about objectively true, the weak link in the England national teams set up. You have a talented squad and a failed manager who nobody had hired in years as a coach. 

What I would say to that is that a lot of countries are held back by shit managers. Belgium were for ages, Portugal are, the last world cup was full of football terrorists. 

Your Klopps and Guardiolas don't really want to do international management anymore, the prestige is all at club level on the Champions League. So it's easy to have some sympathy with your FA because it's not like there's a line of world class managers coming in. 

But then they need to have the confidence to go the other end of the career spectrum and back a young, progressive coach with modern ideas and an actual footballing identity. Southgate doesn't have a discernable philosophy, he just organises you and hopes individual excellence will win you games. There's no system, there's no ideas. 

Can you imagine the carnage someone like Enzo Maresca could cause with Foden, Bellingham and Co getting you to play quick, creative, attacking football? 

Nah man, I reckon our thoughts on burden of proof about something being objective differ a bit, and that's fair enough.

The points about there being a dearth of talented managers at international level I'd absolutely go with, though.

23 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

"It's a learning experience for Southgate tonight". Has he not had 8 years of "learning" already?

“We had some good moments” 

• Haha 1