Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Vestergaard

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/08/12/i-expect-to-stay-fulham-target-rules-out-potential-12m-cottagers-switch/

‘I EXPECT TO STAY’: FULHAM TARGET RULES OUT POTENTIAL £12M COTTAGERS SWITCH
Danny Owen

Jannik Vestergaard believes he is now set to stay at Leicester City after turning down a potential £12 million move to Premier League rivals Fulham, speaking to Danish publication BT. 

You might have noticed that Brendan Rodgers’ Foxes have not signed a single new player this summer. But you only have to think back to 2021 to realise that, sometimes, a fleet of new faces creates more problems than it solves. 

Ryan Bertrand made next-to no impact in Leicester blue. Boubakary Soumare has been linked with a return to France already. And, according to The Athletic, Rodgers may consider offers for Vestergaard too, after just six Premier League starts in 12 months at the King Power Stadium. 

Fulham, per the Daily Mail, have offered £12 million for the former Southampton and Borussia Monchengladbach giant. But, with two years left on his contract, Vestergaard is not going to give up quite so easily on his ailing Leicester City career. 

“I am fully dedicated to Leicester, which is a great club with passionate fans,” the Denmark international says.  

“I don’t know anything about those rumours and honestly don’t follow all the chatter in the transfer windows. I don’t spend my energy on that sort of thing. (I) have all my focus being the best possible version of myself when the season starts.  

“If there are inquiries, my agent will take care of it. But I expect to stay in Leicester.” 

Vestergaard was outstanding during the 2020/21 season at Southampton; His wonderful crossfield passing and formidable aerial presence attracting the interest of Tottenham Hotspur and others before Leicester made their move. 

The 30-year-old looks like a square peg in a round hole under Rodgers, however; A lack of mobility and a tendency to switch off under pressure quickly forcing him down the Leicester pecking order 

But Vestergaard remains determined to prove his doubters wrong. 

“It has gone well in the pre-season for me,” he adds. “And it is great that, unlike last year, after the Euros, I have had a full and good preparation for the season.  

“It gives me optimism and good reason to believe that I will have a better season than the last one. I believe in a better season this year and that I will stay here and play my part in a successful project in Leicester.” 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

His managerial career is fascinating: Trophies and wreckage. 

I actually quite like him. Still remember how he destroyed Mourinho after Ranieri got sacked. Loved his press conference. But you're right  he's so demanding and intense,  his teams just cant take it beyond a few years.

28 minutes ago, Nalis said:

On one hand, Vesty is well within his rights to pick up a wage for just training if we are contracted with him.

On the other, and this is probably a question for anyone who works in football, how is it perceived within a squad when its clear management want to move them on but they dont want to go? Do the other players even give a shit or do they see the player as selfish / not a team player?

They’ll all know how it works, and that you’re always one injury away from the money stopping for ever so you have to do what’s best for you and your family.

And never forget that it’s just a job to them. To all of them. Nobody expects an accountant to move to a worse firm for less money, even if the boss doesn’t like them and they basically just get given filing to do.

Unless he’s a Dennis Wise type, which he clearly isn’t, I can’t imagine any of the players would have any problem with him staying.

He's turned down Brentford and Fulham.

Not everyone wants to live in London, he's from rural Denmark and in his career has played for sides not exactly based in bustling cities.

Maybe he just doesn't fancy a move down there?

Galling that he's turning down approaches from other clubs. £11m back for Vestergaard even with subsidising some of his wages would have been a big step in the right direction.

Ultimately this is the club's fault. The guy offers next to nothing and made absolutely zero sense as CB signing - pretty much to a man the fanbase said he wouldn't work in our system, the Southampton fans were jumping for joy at him leaving too so there were alarm bells everywhere. But did we push on with it? Of course we did!

Now we're stuck with a nearly 30 year old CB who could not be less suited to how we want to play, that the manager will not use and is on a fat contract. Hell, he was even behind 2 x CM's in Ndidi and Hamza to play in his natural position. Utterly honking signing and you just know he's going to dig his heels and in and we'll be scrapping around for a loan to Besiktas or something like that on deadline day. 

I can understand him staying as we gave him the contract, so if money is his prerogative then he's well placed for that here. However, if he takes that decision I hope he never wears our shirt again, and misses the Denmark world cup squad.

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

He's turned down Brentford and Fulham.

Not everyone wants to live in London, he's from rural Denmark and in his career has played for sides not exactly based in bustling cities.

Maybe he just doesn't fancy a move down there?

I'm not sure this argument would really hold up if he was good enough to attract interest from the likes of Chelsea or Paris Saint German. 

11 hours ago, 4everfox said:

Wants to stay and fight for his place. Can't fault his attitude to be fair. 

I mean that's obviously bollocks though. There's no place for lurch to fight for. Dude just cares about the money ahead of even playing at a world cup. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Yeah, he usually gets the house in order for the first season or two and then burns it down as soon as he's done. There's no doubt that he is a brilliant tactician and motivator, I'm just not sure that he's an ideal long-term solution. 

Inter almost won the league again last season …..:

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Spurs have put Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguilon and Winks into the dog house, making them train alone until bids come in.

Wish we were that ruthless at times.

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Conte is superb, United missed a trick not getting him in.

He's elite but almost goes under the radar with it.

If Rodgers did that he would get absolute pelters on here

1 hour ago, Le Renard said:

If he feels he's been badly treated by Rodgers or the club, then he's going to give the middle finger as long as possible.  He could have been promised game time to persuade him to come to Leicester, which didn't materialise and maybe he feels he's been unfairly made a scapegoat for the team defensive frailties.....because it can't be Rodgers fault, can it!  We've all been in situations at the work place where the boss has been a complete tool, and then maybe dug our heels in as a big F.U.

See lets ping Rodgers despite everyone of us wanting him out

Guest itude
20 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

“I am fully dedicated to Leicester, which is a great club with passionate fans,” the Denmark international says.  

giphy.gif

Yeah, you got it in one, all the rest is just daft speculation

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Inter almost won the league again last season …..:

And Chelsea won the league the season after Mourihno left despite him also being accused of burning the house down. I also watched three Serie A games live in April including AC Milan, who would go onto win the league and the standard wasn't that impressive. I am aware that we were knocked out of Europe by a Serie A side. 

14 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Maybe waiting to see if Rodgers goes and someone else will give him a chance? 

If that was /is the case it suggests the players are not behind Rodgers.

That would not surprise me though. They must hate his boring tactics as much as we do.

Two ways to play the game attacking flowing football at pace. Or Rodgers boring ball game.

31 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I mean that's obviously bollocks though. There's no place for lurch to fight for. Dude just cares about the money ahead of even playing at a world cup. 

Would you take a pay cut to go and do the same job somewhere else? I know I wouldn't 

• Like 1