Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
whoareyaaa

Nations League 2022

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I'm not saying anyone on here is saying it, but some people are defending Southgate and saying give him time, we've made a semi and a final.

Cool.

Would you want him to manage Leicester City?

Is David Pleat still alive? All is forgiven 

There’s literally no difference in philosophy regards Rodgers and Southgate

Gets a free ride off the media because he gives them the access which a lot of managers previously wouldn’t. 

A few years back a manager would have quit off the back on that result. 

I feel for the players going from being encouraged to play high tempo football at the top clubs to the utter dirge that Southgate gets them doing. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

yeah i get Southgate is the most successful england manager we've had since 66 but jesus, look at the games we played to get so far in tournaments etc

we had massively favorable games in the WC and the Euros(even that german side was incredibly poor by their standards)

the jounos all seem to be massively up his arse

theyve got very short minds some of them, even in that WC we scrapped by Colombia via pens

• Like 1

When I realised we were going to be playing 4 games a week after the season ended I thought there would be trouble.

Only one goal and that's a soft penalty. 

Personally now shifting to Southgate out. Not because I think he's done a bad job (absolutely far from that, he's been the best English manager since Sir Bobby IMO) but because I think he's overseen the culture change that the national team desperately needed, brought through a lot of players with world class potential and has harboured a desire for these lads to play for their country.

A fully fit England doesn't lose 4-0 to Hungary. We can't lose sight of the fact last night was a freak result. It reminded me a bit like the games that saw off Sven and Puel. 3-0 home defeat to Milwall got rid of Sven, a freak result but one that said a lot about how the club was at the time. Puel was sacked after a 4-1 home defeat to Palace IIRC.

For me, the time is now right to switch to a manager that's more tactically aware. One that can make the difference in tight games.

Many who want Southgate gone should be careful what they wish for. Who else, at present, would do a better job.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves instead of treating it as "just another game".

Play with with pride and passion and feel as though it is an honour to be selected  for your country.

31 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Many who want Southgate gone should be careful what they wish for. Who else, at present, would do a better job.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves instead of treating it as "just another game".

Play with with pride and passion and feel as though it is an honour to be selected  for your country.

Hard to imagine anyone could get us playing as well as Southgate does before. Until the last 4 games he's been really good at beating teams we're much better than. Best England manager since Ramsey and I don't care if people say that we've beaten teams that are worse than us, you can only beat what's in front of you (unless they're similar to your level and you take an early lead in an important game).

I personally hope he goes back to have 7 defensive players on the pitch and getting lucky with the 1 or 2 shots on target we generate on average.

People will come crawling back and putting their waistcoats back on when we beat Iran with a last minute penalty.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Personally now shifting to Southgate out. Not because I think he's done a bad job (absolutely far from that, he's been the best English manager since Sir Bobby IMO) but because I think he's overseen the culture change that the national team desperately needed, brought through a lot of players with world class potential and has harboured a desire for these lads to play for their country.

I tried to write something like this last night but you've nailed it. Essentially he's done the job he was asked to do and we've also had time to hire the right people at the FA into comms roles etc to improve the relationship with the media. Dan Ashworth responsible for a lot of that. 

I thik it's probably timing with who they want to replace him that's the main issue. I don't think they would have renewed his contract after the Euros if they felt the replacement was available. 

Poch suddenly being available might make things interesting for them...

Or they let Southgate ride the World Cup out and get Potter after that. 

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

I tried to write something like this last night but you've nailed it. Essentially he's done the job he was asked to do and we've also had time to hire the right people at the FA into comms roles etc to improve the relationship with the media. Dan Ashworth responsible for a lot of that. 

I thik it's probably timing with who they want to replace him that's the main issue. I don't think they would have renewed his contract after the Euros if they felt the replacement was available. 

Poch suddenly being available might make things interesting for them...

Or they let Southgate ride the World Cup out and get Potter after that. 

Not sure why Potter would have any interest. I'd be tempted to offer Poch a 6 month contract for the world cup and then see if he wants to continue afterwards.

We've got a well spoken PE teacher in charge of the national team at the minute, so replacing Poch after the world cup would hardly be a challenge.

11 hours ago, Staffs Fox said:

This is most certainly not just jumping on the bandwagon but he has to go, the man is a fraud. 

I remember during the last Euros I was very critical of Southgate and all my mates were outraged by it! We’ve arguably won one game in his time as England manager where we were  evenly matched (the last 16 match versus Germany) aside from that this is his record at major tournaments (which apparently makes him the messiah)

Last minute goal vs Tunisia to win 2-1

Beat Panama 

Lost to Belgium

Beat the mighty Colombia on Pens

Beat Sweden

Lost to Croatia (who were there for the taking)

Lost to Belgium 

Beat Croatia 1-0 in thee most boring game ever

Drew with Scotland 

Beat Czech Rep 1-0

Beat Germany 2-0 (the good result)

Beat Ukraine

Beat Denmark after a dodgy pen

Lost to Italy at Home 

Every time aside from that Germany game (and this isn’t a Germany team of 10 years ago) any time we play anyone half decent if comes unstuck. We should have beaten Croatia in the World Cup semis, this wasn’t Brazil, France or Argentina, it was a side with a 34 year old Mandzukic up front and Dejan ****ing Lovren at centre half! Hardly vintage

Then lose to Italy at home in a final who less than 12 months later fail to even qualify for their 2nd consecutive World Cup! We’ve been half successful in spite of Southgate not because of him. Anyone half decent and we’d have won one of those tournaments 

That Germany side were on a real slide, we absolutley should have been beating them. Wouldn't even give him that result. 

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Not this again. 

Not the fans job. There are plenty of over paid suits at the FA who should have a list as long as their pay checks containing names that are more qualified than Southgate. 

Also, careful what they wish for??? A manager who can get an exciting bunch of players playing to the base level of performance at least and without completely stifling them through garbage negative tactics would be nice. 

Oh and also one that picks players that actually deserve to be there. 

Edited by Lako42

Only way Southgate goes before the world cup is if he walks, and he won't do that. He will ride out the next few days and then focus will return to club football for a bit, important couple of games in Sept/Oct but even if we lose them he will still get the world cup. I predict a last 16 exit at the world cup and I think he will leave then. 

Might be a wake up call for him, he's got a bit too comfortable with everyone up his arse but this is a reality check and tells him people outside the media bubble are not as impressed as he thinks they are. 

I don't think we are good enough to win the world cup, so I don't judge him on trophies but we are good enough to play a more expansive game and utilise exciting attacking players. 

Really interesting dynamic at the minute between media and fans. 

The Nations League is an unwanted addition to a long season. To think we had the Euros last summer and then the long season plus this nonsense is ridiculous. The dross Southgate has served up is still unacceptable given that other countries also had long seasons. I heard him talking about the need to go full strength. So does he think we can win things with just a fit first 11. Some of the players that failed are his first choices anyway. Plus you have to allow for injuries and loss of form. As I said he is a diplomat but not convinced he has that nous to be a coach that will win against the best.

• Like 1

A well run football club knows to match a manager with players that fit his footballing philosophy. 

Man City built a squad around Pep's approach to football, Liverpool did it for Klopp, at the other end of the spectrum Burnley and Stoke did so for Dyche and Pulis respectively. 

All of these clubs were rewarded with success relative to their input for putting round pegs in round holes. 

But a national team can't build a squad like a club can, it's largely restricted to  what it has available to it in its talent pool and England have an embarrassment of riches at the moment in terms of young, creative, attacking talent.

I'd go so far as to call it a golden generation in terms of attacking midfielders and forwards. In my life, you've never had the kind of depth that you have now. When guys like Maddison and Barnes can throw up goal contribution numbers like they have in the Prem, not be selected and you've STILL got quality attackers all through your squad? It's really impressive. 

So if you've little flexibility in who you've got available in a playing sense, the choice you do need to make smartly is your manager. You need to go out and pick a manager who's going to play a style of football that suits the guys you have to play. And your FA have done the complete opposite. You've got a defensive manager, a decent organiser. Yeah, the players seem to like him and he can be commended for cultivating a club atmosphere in the club but the bottom line is that his approach to football isn't really compatible with the makeup of your squad. 

It'd be like Man City replacing Pep with Neil Warnock. It's just not going to work. 

Defensive organisation and hard work gets you pretty far in knock out football to be fair, look at Greece. It's how they won their Euros. So I mean if all you ever want to do is grind out well fought wins then there's definitely worse managers out there. But you do get the impression England fans will always feel this collection of players was wasted if they're never given a coach who's actually going to let them off the leash and entertain. 

• Like 2

In the Southgate interview earlier, he says it was his fault as he didn't get the balance right between offering youth opportunities and starting a strong enough team in the Hungary games. Despite the obvious throwing of Gallagher, Justin, Bowen under the bus (which seems to be his thing now days), don't tell me those players weakened us so severely that we lose the latter game 4-0.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Torten said:

In the Southgate interview earlier, he says it was his fault as he didn't get the balance right between offering youth opportunities and starting a strong enough team in the Hungary games. Despite the obvious throwing of Gallagher, Justin, Bowen under the bus (which seems to be his thing now days), don't tell me those players weakened us so severely that we lose the latter game 4-0.

Awful game and man management 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Any of the 20 managers in the premier league would do a better job. Any of a pick of maybe 20/30 managers across Europe too. And they wouldn't be too hard to tempt, i cant imagine the FA are paying peanut wages.

Edit - just checked, £100k a week wages plus bonuses, which won't be too hard to earn given we play San Marino about 8 times a year.

Edited by grobyfox1990

21 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Not this again. 

Not the fans job. There are plenty of over paid suits at the FA who should have a list as long as their pay checks containing names that are more qualified than Southgate. 

Also, careful what they wish for??? A manager who can get an exciting bunch of players playing to the base level of performance at least and without completely stifling them through garbage negative tactics would be nice. 

Oh and also one that picks players that actually deserve to be there. 

im pretty sure their post is a troll tbf

in all honesty tho, anyone outside the media can see Southgate isnt very good, in fact hes below average as a manager, 

hes just a Yes man for the FA who wont pull up trees there,

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You actually went to molineux?!? Well done and I respect that, out of interest, why did you go? Do you care about the nations league? What was the general atmosphere/mood like? 

Sadly yes I went. 

Only go for the caps (same as priority points for LCFC), as I want to go Euro 2024 in Germany. 

Don’t mind the nations league tbf, allows you to play teams you’d probably never normally play in a competitive game. 

Atmosphere was decent before the game, boos at HT, I left at 60 minutes and saw the goal for 2-0 as I walked off up the hill, heard a few boos then as well. Think a lot of people want Southgate gone now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1