Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox in the sox

Radio Leicester coverage

7 hours ago, Sly said:

I’m sure they made up and did an interview together? 

Yeah, it was in The Fox a few years ago.

Pearson invited Stringer round his house for a cup of tea.   They apparently had a good chat about things, and it ended with a gentlemanly handshake and burying of the hatchet.

Just my opinion.  But I always got the impression that the single thing Pearson hated most, was that Stringer kept asking leading questions like "you didn't play well in the first half, did you?" or "we really struggled to break them down after the break?"    You could hear Pearson's brain thinking "Stop telling me what to think, you fk'in ****".

All Stringer had to do was start with a nice open question like "how did you feel the game went?" or "how do you sum that match up?".     Every time he asked the silly leading question, me and the missus just looked at each other, as if to say "here we go again".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FLAN said:

Did we all see the info yesterday about stringers case with BBC’?  Accepting gifts for marathon run or sometring and improper use of social media 

no... link or info please?

edit NV... daily fail...

Gary Lineker is set to be dragged into the employment tribunal of a BBC journalist who was sacked for misuse of social media.

In October 2021, Agenda noted that popular Leicester City reporter Ian Stringer had not been heard on the airwaves for several weeks.

It can now be revealed Radio Leicester bosses had launched an investigation into Stringer.

Stringer, who ran a series of marathons for charity, was accused of accepting items including running shoes, sunglasses and a watch and tweeting his thanks to the companies involved, in what officials say was a breach of policy. 

Former Foxes striker Lineker is understood to have voiced concerns to director general Tim Davie, who commented that the sacking seemed harsh. Proceedings are due to start next Monday.

Stringer is claiming unfair dismissal and is also alleging that the BBC failed to protect a whistleblower.

Edited by ozleicester

On 13/03/2024 at 12:02, Groby_Blue said:

Couldn't stand listening to the commentary when Stringer was doing it. He came across as a smug, arrogant know it all. 

I've never met the bloke and he might be sound as a pound (heard a few things that suggest the opposite though) but the RL commentary is now 100 times better since he's been gone. 

met him a few times and my mother said if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all

So

6 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

no... link or info please?

Not much online but found the below in this article from two days ago: 

Gary Lineker is set to be dragged into the employment tribunal of a BBC journalist who was sacked for misuse of social media.

In October 2021, Agenda noted that popular Leicester City reporter Ian Stringer had not been heard on the airwaves for several weeks. It can now be revealed Radio Leicester bosses had launched an investigation into Stringer.

Stringer, who ran a series of marathons for charity, was accused of accepting items including running shoes, sunglasses and a watch and tweeting his thanks to the companies involved, in what officials say was a breach of policy. 

Former Foxes striker Lineker is understood to have voiced concerns to director general Tim Davie, who commented that the sacking seemed harsh. Proceedings are due to start next Monday. Stringer is claiming unfair dismissal and is also alleging that the BBC failed to protect a whistleblower.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Pearson invited Stringer round his house for a cup of tea.   They apparently had a good chat about things, and it ended with a gentlemanly handshake and burying of the hatchet.

Just my opinion.  But I always got the impression that the single thing Pearson hated most, was that Stringer kept asking leading questions like "you didn't play well in the first half, did you?" or "we really struggled to break them down after the break?"    You could hear Pearson's brain thinking "Stop telling me what to think, you fk'in ****".

All Stringer had to do was start with a nice open question like "how did you feel the game went?" or "how do you sum that match up?".     Every time he asked the silly leading question, me and the missus just looked at each other, as if to say "here we go again".

in the back of the head?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Were these the marathons he did for one of Vichai's charities? He lives around here so I have seen him a few times and had some interaction with him on the cesspool that is Twitter in my time. Seems like a nice enough guy in my eyes. If he is being put through the ringer or lost his job because he worked for the BBC and accepted a pair of trainers from a company that wanted to help sponsor him, I struggle to see the issue. BBC platform aside, Twitter has since been deemed almost a level playing field after the Lineker incident last season. It's not like he went "thanks to Under Armour for giving x amount and providing me with these new supersharkydoodle F90's, Out tomorrow and available from Sports Direct for £89.99. Use Promo Code "GRIFT" for 30% off your first order."

• Like 2

5 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Remember driving home after the infamous FOAD match. The RL team were beside themselves with excitement as they were reporting that Nigel had hit someone in the stand and was swearing in front of children. They just fell short of saying”We’ve got him now”. Nigel was great for City and didn’t suffer fools gladly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

Were these the marathons he did for one of Vichai's charities? He lives around here so I have seen him a few times and had some interaction with him on the cesspool that is Twitter in my time. Seems like a nice enough guy in my eyes. If he is being put through the ringer or lost his job because he worked for the BBC and accepted a pair of trainers from a company that wanted to help sponsor him, I struggle to see the issue. BBC platform aside, Twitter has since been deemed almost a level playing field after the Lineker incident last season. It's not like he went "thanks to Under Armour for giving x amount and providing me with these new supersharkydoodle F90's, Out tomorrow and available from Sports Direct for £89.99. Use Promo Code "GRIFT" for 30% off your first order."

I agree from a moral point of view who cares, but where do you draw the line - sounds like it was a watch and bound to be some other stuff.  Stringers got some semi decent advice and the BBC will end up settling with him, probably for a decent sum of money - maybe 6 months pay or more - depends how good his laywer is. I can imagine he isn't earning much being a bit part for talksport and doing guest speaker stuff so the money will be welcome. 

• Like 1

So is  "accepting trainers, etc" the same as footballers "accepting" new boots for every game? 

Or is that "corporate" sponsorship?

If so it seems a tad unfair on Stringer.

10 minutes ago, Parafox said:

So is  "accepting trainers, etc" the same as footballers "accepting" new boots for every game? 

Or is that "corporate" sponsorship?

If so it seems a tad unfair on Stringer.

The players don't work for the BBC

Met Stringer a few times when we won the prem and he always came across fine.

Not pompous or arrogant like others seem to suggest.

I listen to most the stuff and pods they do tbf, probably out of habit from the old days really but suppose I still enjoy listening or wouldn't bother! 

But i wish OPA would stop all these terms like 'Winks and Ndidi in the double pivot role'. Just meaningless 

4 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

I listen to most the stuff and pods they do tbf, probably out of habit from the old days really but suppose I still enjoy listening or wouldn't bother! 

But i wish OPA would stop all these terms like 'Winks and Ndidi in the double pivot role'. Just meaningless 

Agreed - sounds more like gymnastics or something from the kama sutra !

On 09/04/2024 at 18:25, CrazyKopCorner said:

Has he not blown the whistle on someone and he's not been protected is how I read it 

Hmmm. This whistleblower thing might be a red herring. Protectionist move. 

Pure gossip, but having been confronted by a disciplinary, stringer went on the offensive and 'whistleblew' to try and bluff his way out of his own shite

I might be wrong,. obvs....

On 09/04/2024 at 18:25, CrazyKopCorner said:

Has he not blown the whistle on someone and he's not been protected is how I read it 

ah makes more sense given some of the comments in the do they mean us thread

On 09/04/2024 at 19:30, peterborofox said:

"Breaking a line"

4 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Just seen on Twitter that Jason Bourne is recovering from cancer 

linking the post for those that don't use twitter.

But appears it was spotted early and he's doing well with treatment, so hopefully will make a full and speedy recovery

• Like 4