Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

England Vs France - Saturday 10th Dec - 19:00

5 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Pickford

Walker

Maguire

Stones

Shaw

Henderson

Foden

Bellingham

Rashford

Kane

Saka

I just never see the point of playing Henderson and Rice at the same time. I'd only bring on Rice if it's ten minutes to go and we are leading by just the one or two goal margin. 

Henderson and rice are not the same type of players at all? 

• Like 1

Interesting team for me would be this 

Pickford 

walker stones Maguire 

arnold                                Shaw 

Bellingham rice 

saka            Kane            Foden

feel like Arnold could make up for the one less midfielder with his attacking abilities

10 minutes ago, Lcfc098 said:

Henderson and rice are not the same type of players at all? 

Southgate's decision to bring Henderson on against the USA wasn't popular, but it probably secured us a point. We were under the cosh before he came on and looked like we were going to concede. We were much calmer, more confident and more positive when he was on the pitch. He also played well against Wales and Senegal

He's one of those players who fans don't rate highly but are loved by their managers because they work hard and will do anything they're asked. He's also apparently a strong voice on the pitch, which we'll need tomorrow. If Southgate resists the temptation to play three at the back and sticks with a back four (which I hope he does), there's no way he'll also sacrifice one of his more defensive midfielders to play an extra attacker. 

Henderson won't be dropped tomorrow. Not a chance.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Southgate's decision to bring Henderson on against the USA wasn't popular, but it probably secured us a point. We were under the cosh before he came on and looked like we were going to concede. We were much calmer, more confident and more positive when he was on the pitch.

He also played well against Wales and Senegal. He won't be dropped tomorrow. Not a chance.

Tbf, this is bang on. Think most people were disappointed to see him play in those matches, but given that the USA match was not going how we anticipated it, the conservative decision to bring Henderson on turned out to be a decent one, as like you say, had they beat us, we would have probably finished second and faced the Dutch. For what its worth, I thought he was brilliant against Senegal too.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

Whatever Henderson's individual merits I think he also allows Bellingham a bit more freedom to express himself. He is theoretically a more defensive selection than someone like Mount but we've seen what Bellingham can do when he has less to worry about defensively.

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Southgate's decision to bring Henderson on against the USA wasn't popular, but it probably secured us a point. We were under the cosh before he came on and looked like we were going to concede. We were much calmer, more confident and more positive when he was on the pitch. He also played well against Wales and Senegal

He's one of those players who fans don't rate highly but are loved by their managers because they work hard and will do anything they're asked. He's also apparently a strong voice on the pitch, which we'll need tomorrow. If Southgate resists the temptation to play three at the back and sticks with a back four (which I hope he does), there's no way he'll also sacrifice one of his more defensive midfielders to play an extra attacker. 

Henderson won't be dropped tomorrow. Not a chance.

He’s a player who I think if he was Spanish playing for Real or Barca, he’d be lauded as a great player for what he does (work rate, composure, dictating the tempo). 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 11:18, Lcfc098 said:

People are genuinely forgetting we have Maguire in our back line and i'm not even just saying it because we all hate him but if you look at the Senegal game in the first 15 minutes they put 2 balls in behind our defence which maguire clearly struggled to keep up with and got bailed out. We wont be getting bailed out against france, it only takes one chance for them. Maguire has had a pretty solid start to the tournament however but i reckon he will really struggle on Saturday.

I’m grimly optimistic about Southgate and England yet Maguire does worry me, a worry only mitigated by the idea that our defensive, dull and well-practiced football should protect him and that our criticism of Maguire sometimes a little over the top—he’s not 90 million pounds worth of centre back but as long as we play to his strength and protect his weaknesses he should again perform well this World Cup.

England to beat France, Portugal and then Argentina to rid all there karma.

I can remember us losing to France with the Zidaine masterclass in the last minutes, Sol Cambell's disallowed goal v Portugal and the Beckham sending off v the Argies.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

England to beat France, Portugal and then Argentina to rid all there karma.

I can remember us losing to France with the Zidaine masterclass in the last minutes, Sol Cambell's disallowed goal v Portugal and the Beckham sending off v the Argies.

Argies are Argies mate, we need Dutch to beat them. Agree RE France, Zidane last min winner? He was to good though, one of the best ever, that's what we were up against then.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Argies are Argies mate, we need Dutch to beat them. Agree RE France, Zidane last min winner? He was to good though, one of the best ever, that's what we were up against then.

At least this time, we’re not up against a great, world leading attacker tomorrow who can create something out of absolutely nothing. 

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Henderson is so underrated. Still.

Constant moaning when he's picked to play yet he covers everywhere and lets others be creative. He's the only player I've seen for Liverpool go out right and cover for Trent going forward.

Over 350 games for Liverpool where he's won everything. He isn't the bad player people make him out to be.

Yeah but England don't play like Liverpool. If they did, it'd be a great midfield. Problem is England play much slower and need extra creativity in the middle of the park so having Rice AND Henderson is a bit like overkill. 

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah but England don't play like Liverpool. If they did, it'd be a great midfield. Problem is England play much slower and need extra creativity in the middle of the park so having Rice AND Henderson is a bit like overkill. 

Yeah but he's not Mason Mount which imo makes him undroppable

• Haha 3

This is effectively the final to me. These are the two best teams in the competition to date by quite a long way. I think whoever wins this is the clear favorite to win the whole thing as long as they don't pick up any key injuries or suspensions.

Just hope we get an open attacking game and not yet another dull contest where both sides really don't want to risk anything. 

England can win this.