Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

England Vs France - Saturday 10th Dec - 19:00

For all the negative moaners on here get a bloody life..

England since 66 have never,never belonged to the elite..

We are not Brazil,Argentina,or Germany…

We have always been the also rans,since many of you were born..

The British media always get in front of themselves & many Fans covered in wool

follow the hype & become like petulant kids,when told they can’t have that little

old World Cup..

Southgate has brought this team & his past charges,further than his predecessors.

We have a good decent team,this next game against France could be our & his

history making,or we fall to a better recognised side…So fking What..:dunno:

Nothing ventured nothing gained..we have a chance,that all I and normal

English fans really only want…Media makes promises they can’t keep,English fans

after 60+yrs still don’t understand anything top 4 we are underdogs,anything top

8 equal ,but no further expectation,because we have see what history proves..

But this is football,an entertainment & pastime…We have no right to entitled thoughts,just hope & dreams. You feel frustrated & miserable..more your problem

& trolling negativemites. 

France spent nearly 70+yrs in this also ran status,their football never quite reaching their Rugby teams at least entertaining periods…Then they evolved,built
& made these last yrs incredible period & era…

It will again be nice to be the worlds underdogs,nobody expects ( except some really weird fans who love playing world rulers & football manger & believe what their PC allows them)

I have no pre treppedation,planned frustration prepared for aftermath social media,

I am going to sit down & enjoy it….

Instead of being a miserable pessimistic sheep…

I enjoy challenges,and don’t fear the bogey-man of predestined misery.

Its the amount you fall down but then get right back up to be counted,that gives a life that kick ,enjoying small successes ,not telling all and sundry it’s not worth it…

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The parallels to 2018 are so startling I'm amazed at the likes of Phil Mcnulty screaming that Southgate's critics are wrong. 

You've bulldozed some rubbish, looked wonky against the only half decent team you've played and run up the goal difference by beating some minnows. 

Foden and Bellingham definitely make a big difference to four years ago absolutely but let's be honest, a team with France's finishing would have been 2-0 up yesterday before England even got a sniff. 

Comfortably the biggest test of Southgate's England career. If you win this he genuinely will have answered a lot of his critics and even I'd have to admit you'd probably be the favourite to win the whole thing. I think Argentina and Brazil have both largely flattered to deceive. Definitely think a European team will win this wc. 

Bitter Welshman is bitter, I am shocked! 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

The parallels to 2018 are so startling I'm amazed at the likes of Phil Mcnulty screaming that Southgate's critics are wrong. 

You've bulldozed some rubbish, looked wonky against the only half decent team you've played and run up the goal difference by beating some minnows. 

Foden and Bellingham definitely make a big difference to four years ago absolutely but let's be honest, a team with France's finishing would have been 2-0 up yesterday before England even got a sniff. 

Comfortably the biggest test of Southgate's England career. If you win this he genuinely will have answered a lot of his critics and even I'd have to admit you'd probably be the favourite to win the whole thing. I think Argentina and Brazil have both largely flattered to deceive. Definitely think a European team will win this wc. 

Spot on. You're not allowed to point it out though. Not until we lose again. 

• Like 3

A few "England have had it easy" comments. I don't really consider opposition at the stage, every tournament opens up after the groups as the better teams are obviously remaining.

France have beaten Poland, Denmark and Australia so far. Hardly tough opposition.

These later stages will now show how good sides are (or aren't), England included.

I've never been a fan of Southgate but he makes progressing groups look easy which hasn't always been the case in my life supporting England. I'm excited for this game Saturday, France are a good side and it'll be tough. But if you want to win things you have to beat the tough teams. Come on England.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I know man, the only thing more predictable is an England fan in denial right? lol lol

It must be miserable being so obsessed with us. You're using a Phil McNulty article, which had no presumption whatsoever about our chances, only a response to those who were criticising his team selections thus far, to suggest we're all deluded and that we all assume we're going to thrash France. It's tiresome and a waste of time.

Edited by TJQuik

France and England both deserved to be 2 nil down in their Last 16 games before ending up comfortable winners. 

France and other big nations have toiled in certain games as did England vs USA, we do now seem to have broken that barrier though where we cannot afford any mistakes or whiffy performances and still get the job done.

This will be a huge test. A lot of England's style of play is quite dull which makes it difficult to gain any confidence that we are in fine fettle as we embark on playing one of the favourites, it just feels like we are destined to shut a lot of people up (including myself).

I think we will scrape through 3-2.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

I love the idea that the african champions are somehow inferior to the USA lol

I can't say I'm an authority on either team but I don't think that's a particularly outlandish claim, especially given Senegal's best player and the player of the tournament at that AFCON is absent and they were also without Gueye and Kouyate.

38 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

It must be miserable being so obsessed with us. You're using a Phil McNulty article, which had no presumption whatsoever about our chances, only a response to those who were criticising his team selections thus far, to suggest we're all deluded and that we all assume we're going to thrash France. It's tiresome and a waste of time.

The tired old cliché that England fans are uniquely overconfident and deluded about our team's abilities is still much-beloved by fans of other countries. After we drew with the USA, a Scottish LA-based film producer with lots of followers went on a massive rant, claiming that "every English newspaper had already inscribed England's name on the trophy" after the win against Iran. This was, of course, an absurd lie - nobody was claiming any such thing. Yet many of the comments under the tweet accepted it without question - there was no doubt in their minds that us England fans were convinced we'd win the trophy after the Iran game before the USA brought us crashing back to earth. They were practically jerking off at the thought of us being relieved of our arrogant sense of entitlement yet again.

I once had a conversation with a UK-based Irish friend about this. He said that he didn't think England fans were really any more deluded than those of other countries, but, he added, "We just like to think of you as being really arrogant."

I suppose that must be it.

• Like 2

The thing I don't get is the hype and praise put on Southgate so far.  It's dangerous.

England have looked decent but then again, the starting lineups we've played against:

Iran: 0 players from the top 5 leagues

USA: Included players from Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, Fulham, AC Milan, Juventus, Lille, Valencana, Atelyspor and Nashville FC.

Wales: Spurs, Fulham, Leicester, Bournemouth, Swansea, Nice, Rennes, Spezia and LA Galaxy

Senegal: Chelsea, Leicester, Valencano, RB Leipzig, Monaco, Sheff Utd, Watford, Salernitana

England's last starting XI: Dortmund, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Everton.

So, 4 games in, 3 convincing wins and a draw would be the minimum expectation from any England manager with the resources we have available, imo.

France is a step up and a half.  A real test.  Their team v Poland started with Barcelona, both Madrid teams, AC Milan, Juventus, PSG, Man Utd, Spurs and Bayern Munich.

France have top quality all over the pitch and I expect it's going to be a very difficult match.  I'll be watching more in hope than expectation.  I think France have to be favourites.

If we do get through, then England will have genuinely laid a marker and will have well a truly earned their spot in the last 4 and be in with a genuine shout.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The tired old cliché that England fans are uniquely overconfident and deluded about our team's abilities is still much-beloved by fans of other countries. After we drew with the USA, a Scottish LA-based film producer with lots of followers went on a massive rant, claiming that "every English newspaper had already inscribed England's name on the trophy" after the win against Iran. This was, of course, an absurd lie - nobody was claiming any such thing. Yet many of the comments under the tweet accepted it without question - there was no doubt in their minds that us England fans were convinced we'd win the trophy after the Iran game before the USA brought us crashing back to earth. They were practically jerking off at the thought of us being relieved of our arrogant sense of entitlement yet again.

I once had a conversation with a UK-based Irish friend about this. He said that he didn't think England fans were really any more deluded than those of other countries, but, he added, "We just like to think of you as being really arrogant."

I suppose that must be it.

I think historical enmity and power imbalance has its part to play in the perception, too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

England should respect their opponent but only so much. They can hurt France as much as France can hurt England. Mutual respect. Today I saw a dodgy French back line that started to wobble when the polish got at them. England too have a weak chink but play smart and they’ll be ok.

someone said rice and hendo winning balls in the middle was important I would go as far as saying that it was key to our attacks. It also made the Senegalese very nervous as they were being dominated. If England beat France it will be a watershed moment for southgate and his brand of football.

You were really selling me until that last bit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I think historical enmity and power imbalance has its part to play in the perception, too.

Oh yes - undoubtedly. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about the historical baggage, so we probably just have to accept that this is how people will see us and probably will do for several hundred more years at least...

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Oh yes - undoubtedly. Unfortunately there's not much we can do about the historical baggage, so we probably just have to accept that this is how people will see us and probably will do for several hundred more years at least...

I'll be honest, it doesn't bother me much, but then that's likely down to my own views on attachment towards the nation state expressed by any citizen of any nation outside of what might be deemed superfluous (sporting in this case) reasons.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oohaahmustafa said:

Why does the thought of the England team returning home as hero's not sit right with you lol

Don’t get me wrong I’m an extremely proud Englishman, but for me they would not be “heroes”. For me a hero is represented by someone that adds value to everyone in society, whether this be a soldier, a philanthropist (ie Vichai), a doctor, a nurse etc etc. I see it as part of the wider problem in the world for me: the almost deification of footballers, “influencers” etc etc. 

The amount of praise that SOME odious individuals will receive if we win the World Cup will be insufferable. Again, just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

For me cannot see any other French win. Not to say we will make tight for them. But when comparing the two squads they just have the edge, my biggest fear we score to early and go into Southgate defence mode for the rest of the game like against Italy and Croatia. 

Our attacking players, on the whole, are as good as theirs, if not slightly better. If we hold up defensively I’d say we just edge them especially since they’re without Kanté.

I’ve tried to do something very different this tournament and that is to enjoy every game for what it is - a one off spectacle where anything could happen! Rather than loading up the preconception of s favourite.

you know what I’ve really enjoyed it. That includes the England games also.

Against Senegal I didn’t go to the pub, or put on my england shirt or have flags waving all over (sure I could have) I just sat and watched a good game of footy with the family and it was fine. I will try do the Same this weekend and resist the urge to go gung-ho. I just want to enjoy the game win or lose without the high blood pressure, volatile mood swings etc.  l’m sure the deeper we go into this tournament the harder it will be to enjoy like a neutral lol

• Like 1