Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc-1992

Jannik Vestergaard

12 hours ago, splinterdream said:

What puzzles me about him is he isn’t as bad as his performances for us. He is the wrong fit for the way Rodger’s likes to play, Rob Tanner tweeted that he even mentioned this to Rodger’s at the time and found the signing bizarre, not because he though Vestegaard a bad player, just the wrong type of player.

Good post. And rewind back there were quite a lot on here happy with the signing, hindsight is a wonderful thing, we were desperate at the time and after players with Premiership experience to bolster the squad. 
It’s worked out badly for all involved (not taking into account the salary he’s taking) 

2 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Yes- But I wonder how many on here for example would have signed him🤔.  Such a blatantly bad piece of business if ever there was one.  If us non-experts can spot a Turkey, why was a highly paid Manager and his best mate allowed to have the Club done up like a kipper????

35 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Also I know a lot of Southampton fans who couldn’t believe their luck. Pretty every on looker thought this deal was silly from all perspectives!

Well everybody seemed happy when we signed him.

It took until the third page until someone brought up how slow he is.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Good post. And rewind back there were quite a lot on here happy with the signing, hindsight is a wonderful thing, we were desperate at the time and after players with Premiership experience to bolster the squad. 
It’s worked out badly for all involved (not taking into account the salary he’s taking) 

Agree - also given our atrocious record at defending set pieces, I personally had rather misplaced hope that signing one of the tallest players in world football would offer some part of the solution there. What I hadn't taken into account was the fact that quite remarkably, he doesn't have the ability to win many headers, alongside the fact that he seemingly has absolutely zero desire to win it. 

Big mistake and an awful panic buy - honestly think our fortunes would be so different if we'd had the foresight to sign someone like Ahmedhodzic who can actually defend on the front foot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

And that's the problem, bad signings will sometimes happen, but whoever negotiated that contract didn't weigh up the risks, surely you must always think if it doesn't work our, can we move them on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Also I know a lot of Southampton fans who couldn’t believe their luck. Pretty every on looker thought this deal was silly from all perspectives!

I spoke to a Southampton fan a few days after Vestergaard signed. I have a clear memory of him chuckling and shaking his head in astonishment. The phrase 'turning circle of a cargo tanker' was used. I had a bad feeling about it after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

30% of his wages and a squad spot free, would still go for it tbh

100%. Even 30% would be around £20k a week off the wage bill. He's never going to play, any more injuries and Alex Smithies will play centre back. 

On 23/01/2023 at 07:38, Fox92 said:

Well everybody seemed happy when we signed him.

It took until the third page until someone brought up how slow he is.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think most were happy we'd actually quickly due to a late transfer of Fofana, and presumed we actually had a plan to fit him in our style or our style around him.

Not that we'd just carry on playing a high line with an oil tanker at centre back.

• Like 3

On 23/01/2023 at 02:07, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

prem experience

height for corners

solid international tournament

can pass a ball

available

I feel like that was the scouting meeting and that was that. no consideration to the vast difference in how denmark and even southampton set up to us. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Of all the players we’ve been linked to sending to Turkey, I can only think of Ghezzel and Diabate that have gone? 

Slim ?    Turkish Clubs rarely sign Turkeys.  

As somebody who has adopted Hertha Berlin as my local team since moving to Berlin for work,  I have the absolute joy of reporting that they're in for our Jannik according to BILD. Feels like I've somehow cursed the long suffering fans of the old lady, in honesty.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, -sodapop said:

As somebody who has adopted Hertha Berlin as my local team since moving to Berlin for work,  I have the absolute joy of reporting that they're in for our Jannik according to BILD. Feels like I've somehow cursed the long suffering fans of the old lady, in honesty.

Great city and don't they play in the old Olympic stadium? Not at all envious. 

Berlin or Leicester?  let's hope the big guy is tempted but could they afford his wages?