Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc-1992

Jannik Vestergaard

If there are no permanent takers in this window, anything we can do to lighten our financial burden with Vestergaard between now and the summer is a must-do. He's not going to be called upon unless we are absolutely desperate - as proved by how he's behind even Soyuncu - and if we can save even 10% of his wage expenditure to help bring in someone we do want we should be all over it.

Besiktas/Turkish Super Lig is the kind of league he might do well in so it could help him to earn a permanent move in the summer for a fee. We can but live in hope.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

All managers in history have signed a couple of bad players. Pearson did it, O'Neill did it, it happens.

Absolutely. But when you stubbornly play a high defensive line but then sign a defender who expressly cannot do that, there is something significantly more wrong than signing a Ryan Mcgivern or a Graham Fenton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Rodgers should be sacked for signing him.

It’s absolutely insane. What a horrific signing. Did they do any checks on him?! Top should be furious with this. We haven’t even given him a run in the side he must be that bad. Certain people abuse Amartey but how bad must this guy be.

11 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

It’s absolutely insane. What a horrific signing. Did they do any checks on him?! Top should be furious with this. We haven’t even given him a run in the side he must be that bad. Certain people abuse Amartey but how bad must this guy be.

He played in the euros before we purchased him and had very good performances, he wouldn't be the first player we've bought on the back of an international tournament..

https://theathletic.com/2684477/2021/07/01/as-vestergaard-shines-at-euro-2020-his-future-at-southampton-now-has-three-possible-outcomes/

59 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I think he was seen as a long term Jonny Evans replacement - similar build, supposedly good at passing, positioning, reading the game. 

I’ve heard Evans compared to a Rolls Royce. I think that means Vestergaard is a Robin Reliant. 

Just now, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I think he was seen as a long term Jonny Evans replacement - similar build, supposedly good at passing, positioning, reading the game. 

I’ve heard Evans compared to a Rolls Royce. I think that means Vestergaard is a Robin Reliant. 

He’s more like one of those rent a scooters 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

He played in the euros before we purchased him and had very good performances, he wouldn't be the first player we've bought on the back of an international tournament..

https://theathletic.com/2684477/2021/07/01/as-vestergaard-shines-at-euro-2020-his-future-at-southampton-now-has-three-possible-outcomes/

You’d think after rinsing Man Utd for Maguire after he had a good tournament, we might have realised the trap 

When is he under contract until?

Stay here, sit on the bench in footballing obscurity, pick up something like 50-70k per week.

Or

Move to a tin pot league, play games in footballing obscurity, pick up travelling expenses and a boot allowance.

Can't see him leaving tbh.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

We identified vestergaard the summer before we bought him - who on earth is responsible for that?  I’d be checking our head of recruitment’s connections to vestergaard’s people ……

I've often wondered whether schmeichel was involved in this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

We identified vestergaard the summer before we bought him - who on earth is responsible for that?  I’d be checking our head of recruitment’s connections to vestergaard’s people ……

Yes. Don't let our recruitment team off the hook (unless this is purely a Rodgers signing)

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

All managers in history have signed a couple of bad players. Pearson did it, O'Neill did it, it happens.

Yes- But I wonder how many on here for example would have signed him🤔.  Such a blatantly bad piece of business if ever there was one.  If us non-experts can spot a Turkey, why was a highly paid Manager and his best mate allowed to have the Club done up like a kipper????

• Like 1

All of our signings are discussed and agreed by a few people.

Vestergaard is a good player in a certain system. Bizarrely, lots of us knew that wasn’t ours. Saying that, I’m sure he wouldn’t have made our defence any worse at times this season. 

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Yes- But I wonder how many on here for example would have signed him🤔.  Such a blatantly bad piece of business if ever there was one.  If us non-experts can spot a Turkey, why was a highly paid Manager and his best mate allowed to have the Club done up like a kipper????

Also I know a lot of Southampton fans who couldn’t believe their luck. Pretty every on looker thought this deal was silly from all perspectives!

• Like 1