Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Women's World Cup 2023 - Australia/New Zealand

Just now, StanSP said:

What happened with the ref there lol

Blew for full time 15s too early. 

Realised it was too early. 

Drop ball, played for 2 secs, then blew for full time anyway lol

I don’t think it was the ref who blew, if you watch her movement she’s still running and side stepping as the whistle is being blown like she’s following play, not ending the match. Her reaction immediately is to wave her hand as though she’s trying to get players attention to say don’t acknowledge it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Blimey that was a tough watch, I thought we were about 4th best team there, might have to lower that now...maybe it was a one off?

England at full strength probably are but fair few injuries and a bit of a disrupted preparation for the tournament with the dispute with the FA over bonuses 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

England at full strength probably are but fair few injuries and a bit of a disrupted preparation for the tournament with the dispute with the FA over bonuses 

Yes England have lost 4 top players ,and Meadˋs injury meaning a major rethink on tactics…

Not easy..

People forget that a small nation can find top quality skillfull players..the only question then are they fit enough for x amount of games in a short time..I said before the tournament that Haiti won’t be a roll over.

That said with the possession we should of on the day created more clean and clinical changes,we could of won 3-0.

Both Gks made decent saves…and one hopes and believes that’s why they are there.

Every competition the GKeeping skill set and quality seem to jump up a few good notches each time..

There will be suprises outside my favourites for last 4…Japan,Germany, USA, and England.

England do have to improve & step up…I do believe Wiegman will deliver her side,,we do need quicker précis or ball,and more people in the box,,

Still a good win, no easy games for England,despite losing some damn good individuals we still have a good squad,they just need the game time to mesh.

• Like 1

Poor first showings from both the England and US women.  Getting out of their groups is a formality, so they'll have time to get it together.  But this is a wide open tournament.

England are going to struggle this tournament. Haven’t scored a goal in their warm up games and only managed a retaken penalty today. Missing the key players, obviously. 

Was far from vintage from England today, despite having most of the play in terms of in front of goal we looked quite weak. Against a stronger nation we'd be punished. Coming into a tournament without Mead, Williamson, Kirby and even the retired White was always going to be tough. Some positions can be replaced but I do feel losing all four of those key players and completely disjointed the team... maybe it's early days. But based on how we have looked coming into this tournament, it doesn't look good. Going forward Daly needs to start, Russo has looked out of form and looking lost today. Can't afford to keep the leading WSL goal scorer on the bench. 

Seeing Houghton in the studio, made me think she was in the wrong place and should be at the World Cup. Bright is not a strong enough captain to takeover from Williamson, I would have recalled Houghton based on her strength, knowledge and experience. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

You could very much see England getting done on the counter against one team repeatedly. Bit like the men in 2010 v Germany. The back four and base of the midfield were a mess on the transition 

Pretty much what we saw with city when Evans started to be out for extended periods of time. All the England defenders are good individual players but Bright isn't a good enough leader and organiser to keep it together the way Williamson does

38 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Pretty much what we saw with city when Evans started to be out for extended periods of time. All the England defenders are good individual players but Bright isn't a good enough leader and organiser to keep it together the way Williamson does

Did think that too. Two full backs high up. Lots of space on the counter to take advantage of.