Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Stephy Mavididi

Just now, SemperEadem said:

Enjoyed how direct he was.

Nice to have a player who'll run at the opposition. I was well impressed he had that in him at the end of the game considering his pre season was a week shorter and he's only just joined.

People are going well overboard on him in this thread mind. He'll cause problems with his directness though, it's nice not worrying about the gaffer looking to coach it out of him asap as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Enjoyed how direct he was.

This is huge for me. Was really worried about how the possession based football might mean we lack that. Seen it too many times with us where we try and implement it and don't have the players. You'll always need players who can directly make something happen at any point. 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I like how it came from the ball literally bouncing about 6 yards off him lol

the best players don’t let a bad moment faze them. A very positive sign if you follow up an embarassing touch with something like that imo 

• Like 1

I really liked his willingness to make runs off the ball. So many times in the first half especially he was on his bike looking for a ball over the top but they were rarely played. Even if the pass doesn't come, it will worry defenders as they'll be thinking in the back of their minds he could burst in behind them at any time.

It looked like he wasn't quite sure what to do when he got the ball in the first half in terms of 1v1s but improved massively towards the end. Hopefully his confidence will grow as the season goes on and he can be more of a threat in the box cos if he does he'll be a massive player for us.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Premier league tax would have made him 15-20M probably.

That's not really been the case with Brentford, you had Brighton signing Caicedo for about the same we paid for Mavididi. They also paid about £3 mil for Mitoma, and we paid a minimal fee for Kante. These players are out there, and we stopped going for them. 

• Like 2

I thought it was a very promising debut. He is a winger, so we will have to put up with the usual frustrations at times, but he certainly looks like he can create something out of nothing, and he will likely terrify defenders with his tricks and speed. 

Just need one for the other side now! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DionDublinsThirdLeg said:

I think Mavididi may be less of a goalscoring threat but actually offer us a more complete package as a team. He will be better at progressing us up the pitch than Barnes was, that's for sure, and he showed that against Cov with both his direct running and his passing.

For just £6-7 million though, why didn't we have at least one of this type of player on our bench last season?

Great analysis. Put a similar player on the other side and we will be too hot to handle for this division.

We did sign Tete for his ability to beat a man, and we thought we would probably sign Lookman who can do the same even if he's not quite as direct. Last summer we just couldn't spend / didn't want to spend so we didn't have that depth.

Guest BlueBrett

Very optimistic about this guy's potential at this level. Couple of lovely touches and once his confidence was up he seemed so positive and direct while actually managing to still play with his head up. I really like that he seems like a decent physical specimen as well, not one of these flimsy little wingers but genuine athleticism on top of the pace and trickery.