Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

LCFC v Bristol City - 23/9/23

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

You think it’s weird to have a bit of sentimentality for a player like King to score if we win anyway?

I remember Steve Claridge scoring for Millwall in a game we otherwise won 4-1 and the whole ground applauded when it was announced Claridge scored. It was a great moment.

Of course we want to win first and foremost, but there’s nothing wrong with wanting to see a player like King or a manager like Pearson doing well. There’s more to supporting a football club than just obsessively caring about winning by as big a margin as possible and nothing else, having a connection with certain players or managers is a big part of the community and social aspect of the game.

I can see both opinions. Clean sheets have been not regular enough for us this season with just 2 in 7 games. So I can’t be wanting us to activity concede goals even if a consolation.

But, I don’t get those who think we should not acknowledge past achievements for us. Pearson won two leagues with us and put us through on goal with an assist for the third title. And King won all 3, the only player to do so. 

I definitely think they deserve recognition. But the talk of creating a testimonial atmosphere I don’t agree with. It is still a competitive game for us.

• Like 1

I think home will be our slip up this season, but with the squad choice last night we may have something in the bag and some fresher legs. 

Would take a draw as Bristol are no pushovers and are on a good run. Only got beat by Brum because of the red card argueably. 

If we can somehow win this, regardless of if it's nasty or not, I will believe we can be in the mix for the majority of the season.

8 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

I think home will be our slip up this season, but with the squad choice last night we may have something in the bag and some fresher legs. 

Would take a draw as Bristol are no pushovers and are on a good run. Only got beat by Brum because of the red card argueably. 

If we can somehow win this, regardless of if it's nasty or not, I will believe we can be in the mix for the majority of the season.

At home we should try and play two forwards (3-5-2), that's my preference if we are struggling to break down the opposition.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

I adore the bloke! Had a photo with him at Barnsley away ("One Stephen Dawson, there's only one Stephen Dawson") and he said it was great to meet me so I'm sure he's excited to come back to the KP. 

The one 'man-of-the-match' announcement we all remember !!!!!!

59 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I can see both opinions. Clean sheets have been not regular enough for us this season with just 2 in 7 games. So I can’t be wanting us to activity concede goals even if a consolation.

But, I don’t get those who think we should not acknowledge past achievements for us. Pearson won two leagues with us and put us through on goal with an assist for the third title. And King won all 3, the only player to do so. 

I definitely think they deserve recognition. But the talk of creating a testimonial atmosphere I don’t agree with. It is still a competitive game for us.

To be a pedant, a couple of the Ipswich Town players under Alf Ramsey also won all 3 in the 50s and 60s. Ramsey also the only manager to win all 3 divisions with the same club in England 

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

To be a pedant, a couple of the Ipswich Town players under Alf Ramsey also won all 3 in the 50s and 60s. Ramsey also the only manager to win all 3 divisions with the same club in England 

I was aware of this, I had meant for us but didn’t specifically say, my bad! Yeah, in terms of legendary status for us, he was the only ever present in all 3 seasons.

6 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

At home we should try and play two forwards (3-5-2), that's my preference if we are struggling to break down the opposition.

If we use 2 up top at some point this season then think it's likely to be a system similar to the 4-1-3-2 Man City have used so far with Alvarez and Haaland, rather than a traditional 3-5-2. 

2 hours ago, ramboacdc said:

Fvck me we are playing Bristol City not Man City, we should be beating these at home simple as that. Doubt it will be easy but still shouldn't be 'taking a draw' at home to anyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Any insight how Bristol set up, or have been playing? @StriderHiryu presume you are going to do a piece on the opposition?

I will do a small piece yeah, but I have to say I haven't looked at them so much yet.

Teams I have been keeping a close eye on are Southampton, Leeds, Ipswich, Norwich, Sunderland and Coventry. There are so many teams in the league and games are so frequent, it's really hard to keep up with everything. Preston are top, have made one of the best starts in Championship history, and I think I can name 3 of their players at best! Are they amazing or lucky? I have no idea!

I've seen Ipswich play a few times, they are quite good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Weird. We want to win by as many possible and another clean sheet. I don't care for Bristol City players.

I wouldn’t say it’s weird. I really don’t usually have sentiment for players and I’ll clap them etc but couldn’t really give a toss, once they’ve gone they’ve gone. King won league 1, the championship and the prem with us. As a fan base he never got a goodbye he deserved due to covid so he’s my exception to the rule. I don’t think it’s strange that I’d like to pay respects to somebody who did so much for our club (as I’m sure others will) - ok hoping he scores is a bit far but if it meant nothing for the result I’d be all for it. 

• Like 2

Since Pearson went there I've naturally looked out for their results and wished them well. Been generally a bit underwhelming but as ever you feel there are small signs of improvement under him. I think the strongest thing I could say with him is that if you took any two points of his tenure exactly a year apart you would be stronger at the second point almost every time. How it should be really. I became accustomed to progress.

They won't make this easy. I think as ever, I'll expect we beat them, because we do have a simply superior side and we're getting to grips with things now I think. But I don't expect us to roll them. Maybe even a 1-0.

3 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

That isn't what happened at all with that game Claridge scored. He got an amazing reception before the match but he scored after about 20 seconds and the whole ground was silent because Millwall fans were banned. He celebrated like he'd won the world cup and I just thought what a willy puller. 

Then we tonked them anyway.

Really was a bizarre match/moment without their fans in. Someone in the kop shouted "what you doing Stevie?!", he shrugged and jogged off.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Really was a bizarre match/moment without their fans in. Someone in the kop shouted "what you doing Stevie?!", he shrugged and jogged off.

Yeah there was certainly no applause. The post I responded to made it sound like something off Cool Runnings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was having a look at the BC forum and came across this little titbit;

"Living near Leicester I now know quite a few fans, and some members of their fitness/coaching staff. Reports are that Enzo was a bit shocked at some aspects of the off the pitch culture - a two night bender during their preseason tour in Thailand for the owner's birthday caused some friction apparently, but now the season has started I hear that he's happy."

Yes - I'm aware it could be total BS.

10 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Was having a look at the BC forum and came across this little titbit;

"Living near Leicester I now know quite a few fans, and some members of their fitness/coaching staff. Reports are that Enzo was a bit shocked at some aspects of the off the pitch culture - a two night bender during their preseason tour in Thailand for the owner's birthday caused some friction apparently, but now the season has started I hear that he's happy."

Yes - I'm aware it could be total BS.

There was a big party for Aiyawatt's birthday with all the staff and players there, whether they were all on the razz who knows.

• Like 1