Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

On 03/10/2023 at 11:30, BenTheFox said:

I've thought about it a little more and actually I'm wondering if Enzo has made a calculation that we can play this way in the championship because the reward is worth the risk. because we are less likely to be punished at this level playing this way. IF we get promoted he may be a little bit more pragmatic because we are more likely to be punished in the premier league. In the games against Norwich and Blackburn we were still taking risks in terms of playing out from the back but our backline was nowhere near as high up the pitch. 

We won't change the way we play even in the Prem we will probably bring is some more quality players, but most of the squad is premier league anyway that's why there is a gulf in class, we only went down because the previous manager had lost the dressing room and wanted out.

• Like 2

As soon as Maresca was rumoured, I backed him for the job 100%. You don't just go and win one of the hardest trebles in history as an Assistant Manager and not be able to replicate your former boss' managerial prowess in some way or another in the Championship. The man has ambitions that surpass the sky, he could have stayed at Man City and sat comfy... but he took the higher risk/higher reward option of becoming a manager himself of a relegated Premier League club, consequently stepping out of the shadows of Pep Guardiola.

Every player on our squad is a cog in the machine and Maresca is the engineer, his end-goal is to have the machine well oiled and operating at its optimum level. Which takes time and effort from all parties involved. But once everyone is fully on board Leicester City's new philosophy, the club climbs back up the ranks again. Enzo Maresca is with Leicester for the long-term, a man of great commitment and integrity. He understands the history; the meaning; the journey and most importantly the project that entails. Fast forward a few years, the once long ago fairytale of 2016 may repeat itself again under the leadership of yet another Italian on Filbert Way. 

• Like 2

Enzo said a few weeks ago when we were winning by the odd goal that he had only taught the players 10-20% of what he had planned.  I wonder what the percentage is now?  This must have increased given that we are starting to score more freely, particularly against tiring opponents.  It makes me excited to see what is coming next, if it is tactics and patterns to break through the low block then we could be in for a lot of fun and the rest of the league should be very worried.

Our board should be backing this man in the next two transfer windows. Give him whoever he asks for because I'd be 95% sure they will improve the team and he will improve them (which benefits the club financially should they leave). 

He clearly knows what he's doing, how to coach and how to set up a team. His overall man management will take time to judge but for as long as we are winning we can assume we have a happy and competitively healthy dressing room. 

Just dipping in to say that so far I am enjoying Enzo a hell of a lot. Not one red flag for me so far. He's an absolute breath of fresh air. 

The big test will be come on our first downturn of form though, you only see the true make up of a person when times are tough. Not getting too carried away as I was smitten with Brendan till 2020 :D 

I love that while we have a system, the players do have freedom to try different things out, if they see a ball on they will go direct. It's absolute levels above the predictable sideways and backwards stuff that Rodgers was churning out

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

We're seeing the benefits of a young manager carving out his career. He's very hungry, detail driven and a breath of fresh air. Really couldn't have gone any better.

Concern being success brings attention but for now sit back and enjoy the journey 👍

Well, if the top brass are doing their jobs right they'll already have a list of replacements drawn up in the likely event he moves on in the next couple of years. 

Love this but from the above article:

Maresca’s ‘Football and Chess’ thesis

This moment has been coming for the 43-year-old, ever since passing his Pro-License coaching badges in the summer of 2019 with a near perfect score.

Like De Zerbi, he studied at the revered national training centre in Coverciano. With him in the classroom were the likes of Italy World Cup winner Mauro Camoranesi, former Arsenal and Manchester City defender Sylvinho and Antonio Conte’s assistant Cristian Stellini.

Maresca’s thesis was called “Football and Chess”, and he has taken those ideals into management: “There are many similarities between both games: the opponent will do something a certain way and I have to react and adapt

Man's attention to detail must be second to none. When it comes to football management you'd think this is such a valuable quality, and why we look so slick because he's clearly communicated what he needs from each player and collectively what he demands as a team. You can have all the best tactics in the world but lack in communicating them. Or vice versa. But Maresca seems to build the perfect balance because of his mind and his vision. 

I'm so glad players have bought into his style and character and ambition. Relegation was absolutely shit but we've picked the right person to not only get us back up, but to hopefully keep us there. Fingers crossed he decides to stay here if we do go up. 

14 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Very soon, if not already, Premier League clubs are going to be looking at Enzo, at what point (if not already) are we a more attractive club than bottom half Prem clubs? What clubs would you think he couldn't turn down if they come in for him before Xmas?

Nah mate. There's all but about 8 clubs he'd jump ship for in the PL. And all of those are extremely unlikely to appoint him on the basis of half a season. 

The eventual threat if he continues may well come from a major club on the continent 

15 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Very soon, if not already, Premier League clubs are going to be looking at Enzo, at what point (if not already) are we a more attractive club than bottom half Prem clubs? What clubs would you think he couldn't turn down if they come in for him before Xmas?

Glad I'm not the only one thinking about that because I posted yesterday ManU might go after him and I was laughed at. I reckon he would turn down any job offers from the classic mid table downwards teams. It depends on his ambitions and confidence. ManU are a mess, he's a Pep "apprentice", probably he would turn down a job there. Idk if he would turn down a Chelsea job though next summer. 

3 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Glad I'm not the only one thinking about that because I posted yesterday ManU might go after him and I was laughed at. I reckon he would turn down any job offers from the classic mid table downwards teams. It depends on his ambitions and confidence. ManU are a mess, he's a Pep "apprentice", probably he would turn down a job there. Idk if he would turn down a Chelsea job though next summer. 

Enzo would be a huge gamble for Utd, he has a football system that he's set up in the championship, and he's having great success with it, but so did Kompany, and now he's struggling in the Prem, so I could only see a middling to lower league team interested, so it's going to get to a point where its that teams ambitions vs ours which would make his mind up, because its looking like it'd take something major to knock back our momentum 

I always questioned whether the players we had could play "Maresca's way"

We bought in Hermanson and Winks who have been instrumental, the latter I was not happy with but consider me eating delicious humble pie:blush:

Ndidi has been transformed and has to be Maresca's most impressive work so far but others such as Ricardo and Vestergaard to name but two, whilst always capable with the ball, are allowed to flourish in the system.