Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigGibbo

How Was Your Day?

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

First day at work finished, have to say felt quite overwhelming being hit with so much information even if I'm not expected to remember it all. Classic worries of not fitting in or not being good enough for what they think I'm able to do sitting in my head which is never fun. Hopefully should grow into the role with time 

What is your job?

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

First day at work finished, have to say felt quite overwhelming being hit with so much information even if I'm not expected to remember it all. Classic worries of not fitting in or not being good enough for what they think I'm able to do sitting in my head which is never fun. Hopefully should grow into the role with time 

Funny you should say that.

I had a coaching call this afternoon with a newly appointed CEO who's now responsible for a £500m business and 2000 staff.

He told me exactly the same.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What is your job?

I'm a lab technician, so i set up the experiments to be carried out by the undergrads and then make sure everything's ordered in and works etc

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I had a coaching call this afternoon with a newly appointed CEO who's now responsible for a £500m business and 2000 staff.

It's nice to know that it's not just me being over worried. 2 others started with me today who have more experience yet are the pay grade below me, which got me a bit worried but Hopefully i can repay the faith they've shown and prove to myself I can do the tasks well 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'm a lab technician, so i set up the experiments to be carried out by the undergrads and then make sure everything's ordered in and works etc

It's nice to know that it's not just me being over worried. 2 others started with me today who have more experience yet are the pay grade below me, which got me a bit worried but Hopefully i can repay the faith they've shown and prove to myself I can do the tasks well 

Sounds like a fun and fulfilling job tbf. Just take notes and remember if they've given you the opportunity you've obviously given them a reason to. Hope you crush it.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Sounds like a fun and fulfilling job tbf. Just take notes and remember if they've given you the opportunity you've obviously given them a reason to. Hope you crush it.

Thanks mate, I'm my own worst enemy most of the time so hoping I'll pick everything up soon

• Like 1

@UniFox21 have you read up on Imposter Syndrome? It opens yours eyes to just how many people feel the same way as you probably do - things are always more reassuring in numbers, too. I went to a talk that SkyBet did last summer and it was two of their most senior web and infrastructure engineers (basically the guys who make sure their website and app stands up every Saturday at 3pm when you want to put your bets on) talking about their experiences with IS. It changed my outlook completely to be honest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Izzy said:

He can get canned and probably never have to work again lol

Pullin the pud always helps.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

No one expects you to remember or know everything

Dont be afraid to ask... the only dumb question is the one that wasnt asked.

Try to enjoy learning for learnings sake.

Remember not to judge yourself against others.  :)

Have fun if you can

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manini said:

@UniFox21 have you read up on Imposter Syndrome? It opens yours eyes to just how many people feel the same way as you probably do - things are always more reassuring in numbers, too. I went to a talk that SkyBet did last summer and it was two of their most senior web and infrastructure engineers (basically the guys who make sure their website and app stands up every Saturday at 3pm when you want to put your bets on) talking about their experiences with IS. It changed my outlook completely to be honest. 

Cheers for sharing this albeit not aimed at me, never even knew this was a 'syndrome' but this sums up a lot about how I feel when I'm having an off day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Manini said:

I think it's safe to say that most of us suffer from IS at some stage in our life/career (I know I certainly have).

It made me think of Harvey Barnes actually. I remember BR saying recently that Barnes is too nice, doesn't realise how good he really is, and needs to believe in himself more. We all know he looks like he lacks confidence sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he suffers from IS.

I coach senior execs in the corporate world and even those who appear to be confident and competent on the outside, are suffering from IS on the inside. It's a fascinating subject and just goes to show how vulnerable we all are. 

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I think it's safe to say that most of us suffer from IS at some stage in our life/career (I know I certainly have).

I don't know if I suffer from, or have ever suffered from IS but I can't believe I'm still smuggling a living doing what I enjoy after 30 years.

Maybe that's just a mindset which keeps me on my toes.

48 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I don't know if I suffer from, or have ever suffered from IS but I can't believe I'm still smuggling a living doing what I enjoy after 30 years.

Maybe that's just a mindset which keeps me on my toes.

Well for most of us, Impostor Syndrome is completely made up - but for some, it really is the case lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Izzy said:

It made me think of Harvey Barnes actually. I remember BR saying recently that Barnes is too nice, doesn't realise how good he really is, and needs to believe in himself more. We all know he looks like he lacks confidence sometimes and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he suffers from IS.

I coach senior execs in the corporate world and even those who appear to be confident and competent on the outside, are suffering from IS on the inside. It's a fascinating subject and just goes to show how vulnerable we all are. 

Funny that. I have, throughout my 33 year career as a paramedic, always felt that it wasn't really me doing all the things I've done in my job. Nor really me dealing with all the difficult situations I've had to manage. 

I've always felt like I'm up in the sky looking down at myself, somehow disembodied from the reality of the situation and that it's some other "me" doing it.

Like I'm somebody else in a green uniform sticking needles in people, not the real me.

Odd.

Edited by Parafox

21 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Funny that. I have, throughout my 33 year career as a paramedic, always felt that it wasn't really me doing all the things I've done in my job. Nor really me dealing with all the difficult situations I've had to manage. 

I've always felt like I'm up in the sky looking down at myself, somehow disembodied from the reality of the situation and that it's some other "me" doing it.

Like I'm somebody else in a green uniform sticking needles in people, not the real me.

Odd.

I don't claim to understand your job for one minute mate, but I imagine being disembodied from the situation is pretty key in your world. I imagine you go through lots of training so that when situations do arise, your 'muscle memory' kicks in and you unconscious skills take over.

If the 'real' you (the consciously aware you) actually stopped to realise what you were doing, you'd probably freak out! 

That's why I and many others could never be able to do what you do. We'd crumble under the pressure, get too emotionally involved and end up fvcking everything up.

Maybe when you retire and take proper time to reflect on everything you've done, the reality of what you've been through for 33 years will dawn on you and then appear more real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I don't claim to understand your job for one minute mate, but I imagine being disembodied from the situation is pretty key in your world.

If the 'real' you (the consciously aware you) actually stopped to realise what you were doing, you'd probably freak out! 

That's why I and many others could never be able to do what you do. We'd crumble under the pressure, get too emotionally involved and end up fvcking everything up.

Maybe when you retire and take proper time to reflect on everything you've done, the reality of what you've been through for 33 years will dawn on you and then appear more real.

I imagine you go through lots of training so that when situations do arise, your 'muscle memory' kicks in and you unconscious skills take over.

This is so true. I think that, in pressurised situations where lives can be at stake, or at least someone's emotional/physical wellbeing and I feel kind of lost, but my training and experience sort of takes over and I think this applies to anyone who has to deal with critical situations. One does kind of fall back into auto-pilot mode whilst dealing with whatever is in front of one. It's after the event that I think over what has just happened. That's when I think, "was that me who just did all that". It still feels a bit unreal.

I think you have a point in that, when I finally say enough is enough, I will get a sense of reality.

Hope you and yours are doing OK.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I imagine you go through lots of training so that when situations do arise, your 'muscle memory' kicks in and you unconscious skills take over.

This is so true. I think that, in pressurised situations where lives can be at stake, or at least someone's emotional/physical wellbeing and I feel kind of lost, but my training and experience sort of takes over and I think this applies to anyone who has to deal with critical situations. One does kind of fall back into auto-pilot mode whilst dealing with whatever is in front of one. It's after the event that I think over what has just happened. That's when I think, "was that me who just did all that". It still feels a bit unreal.

I think you have a point in that, when I finally say enough is enough, I will get a sense of reality.

Hope you and yours are doing OK.

Yeah we're doing O.K. mate thanks. The daughter is having regular counselling sessions and fingers crossed it's starting to have a small but positive effect :fc:

Just out of interest, do you have any type of 'supervision' after you've been out attending to these pressurised situations?

The reason I ask is that when therapists are sometimes listening to quite horrific tales of abuse and addiction, they must have professional supervision sessions afterwards to ensure they don't 'carry' anyone else's issues, pain or guilt with them. We also hear a lot about the forces where troops often face traumatic situations but 'bottle up' what they see and then suffer with PTSD when they retire. 

I just hope you have some sort of regular 'release valve' and a way dealing with the stress of the job?

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah we're doing O.K. mate thanks. The daughter is having regular counselling sessions and fingers crossed it's starting to have a small but positive effect :fc:

Just out of interest, do you have any type of 'supervision' after you've been out attending to these pressurised situations?

The reason I ask is that when therapists are sometimes listening to quite horrific tales of abuse and addiction, they must have professional supervision sessions afterwards to ensure they don't 'carry' anyone else's issues, pain or guilt with them. We also hear a lot about the forces where troops often face traumatic situations but 'bottle up' what they see and then suffer with PTSD when they retire. 

I just hope you have some sort of regular 'release valve' and a way dealing with the stress of the job?

Thanks for asking. Over the last 5 years or so, we have had many more ways of getting support and help than we used to have. 

I remember going to a car fire one night near Desford many years ago where an 18n yr old was trapped. My colleague and I dragged him free in intense heat and darkness. Sadly his legs and lower torso were almost completely burned away. He was alive but died after we got him to hospital.

Back then, we were offered a single counselling session by appointment at the Mental Health services at the General Hospital.

Now, thankfully, we have in-house pastoral services, support and peer to peer counsellors that we can access. Also we can go through our own OH service to get referrals for PTSD and other forms of support. If we need additional counselling we get 6 sessions paid by EMAS. Any additional sessions can be negotiated. Sadly, people do still bottle it up and don't like to talk about what they see as a weakness in struggling to cope.

The 3 emergency services as well as prison officers, A&E nursing staff and others now get so much more support than ever.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 11:42, Countryfox said:

Nowt wrong with January ....   I can think of lots of reasons but I haven't got time to tell you at the moment as I need to get my suitcase packed before the taxi arrives ...

Sun tan lotion, check ...   LCFC cap, check ...   orange swimming trunks, check ...    reflective sunglasses which enable you to gawp unnoticed at womens parts as you talk to them, CHECK ! ...       :)

On 06/01/2020 at 12:23, RoboFox said:

Sod off, CF. lol

Just wanted to let you know Robo that I’d arrived safely ..   just in case you were worried like ...   :)

A8661A20-326D-4B32-AABC-250BA2E2B789.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Well Day 4 of my job, filled out a safety form for the first time with small amount of assistance to submit to the section manager for approval. I got a few things wrong, instead of helping me they've sent a passive aggressive email and using me as a way to push an argument in their favour. Then calls in my line manager to speak to me and the person helping me. Bloody brilliant so far chaps. 

All i needed was them to help, not knock me back on my first week. 

Edited by UniFox21

10 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Well Day 4 of my job, filled out a safety form for the first time with small amount of assistance to submit to the section manager for approval. I got a few things wrong, instead of helping me they've sent a passive aggressive email and using me as a way to push an argument in her favour. Then calls in my line manager to speak to me and the person helping me. Bloody brilliant so far chaps. 

Not sure i completely understand but if she's just using you as a way to push an argument in her favour then maybe you don't need to take it personally?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Well Day 4 of my job, filled out a safety form for the first time with small amount of assistance to submit to the section manager for approval. I got a few things wrong, instead of helping me they've sent a passive aggressive email and using me as a way to push an argument in her favour. Then calls in my line manager to speak to me and the person helping me. Bloody brilliant so far chaps. 

I know it can be a lot easier said than done in a new role but don’t let today set you back.

Look back at that first sentence, that in itself is a massive positive and I’m sure any others on here will agree, you’ve managed to fill out that form for the first time using your own initiative.

There was a few mistakes but so what, that form will have been new to everyone at some point so don’t let their lack of consideration to you in your new role set you back.

Tomorrow is a new day, start fresh and if you can rectify those errors next time around then great, good on you for trying. Don’t let their mood effect your work ethic. 

• Thanks 1