Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

Just now, Nalis said:

Know loads who didnt go to theirs. I was the first in my immediate family to go to uni so went to the undergrad graduation for my mum and dad's sake really more than my own. 

Didnt bother going to my masters one.

Good excuse to catch up with people albeit most go home with their folks aftewards rather than sticking around for a piss up. 

Feels like a nice way to finish the last four years off and celebrate. But understand why people don't go. 

Just a shame that as with everything at undergrad, they charge you for it. 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Feels like a nice way to finish the last four years off and celebrate. But understand why people don't go. 

Just a shame that as with everything in life , they charge you for it. 

Fixed that last bit mate 

• Sad 1

On 09/06/2019 at 21:46, UniFox21 said:

Having paid 36k for tuition, then having to pay out more to hire gowns etc for graduation. 

My daughter starts at Nottingham University in September on a bloody 4 year course,with 1 year abroad.Its going to cost us/ her I know.

One thing is that she has to pay £2450 for 1st term accommodation and her grant money of £1350 doesn’t get paid for another 3 weeks.

is that normal practice?

Luckily I can pay it, but I’m sure there are a lot of students/parents that it could cause problems.

i assume you are on a 4 year too

Edited by cambridgefox

10 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

My daughter starts at Nottingham University in September on a bloody 4 year course,with 1 year abroad.Its going to cost us/ her I know.

One thing is that she has to pay £2450 for 1st term accommodation and her grant money of £1350 doesn’t get paid for another 3 weeks.

is that normal practice?

Luckily I can pay it, but I’m sure there are a lot of students/parents that it could cause problems.

i assume you are on a 4 year too

Usually with the year abroad you either pay the full tuition or just a "retainer fee" which is usually less.

If it's university halls, they normally delay the payment until student finance has come in, and direct debit payments are usually taken out a week or so later than non-DD payments. Be worth an email to the accommodation team to double check, they're usually pretty helpful.

Yeah I'm finishing my fourth year now, so everything you and your daughter will deal with, I've probably had a similar issue. Feel free to PM me about anything if you have any random questions about the whole process. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Usually with the year abroad you either pay the full tuition or just a "retainer fee" which is usually less.

If it's university halls, they normally delay the payment until student finance has come in, and direct debit payments are usually taken out a week or so later than non-DD payments. Be worth an email to the accommodation team to double check, they're usually pretty helpful.

Yeah I'm finishing my fourth year now, so everything you and your daughter will deal with, I've probably had a similar issue. Feel free to PM me about anything if you have any random questions about the whole process. 

Much appreciated.Will mention the above to her.

She is really looking forward to it.Pressure is off as she got her results last year.Travelling and working for Lloyds who have been brilliant.Keeping her job open here for holidays and arranged for her to work reduced hours ( min 15 hours a month) in Nottingham.

Best of luck to you,but it sounds like you don’t need it.

What course did you take if it was 4 years?

19 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Much appreciated.Will mention the above to her.

She is really looking forward to it.Pressure is off as she got her results last year.Travelling and working for Lloyds who have been brilliant.Keeping her job open here for holidays and arranged for her to work reduced hours ( min 15 hours a month) in Nottingham.

Best of luck to you,but it sounds like you don’t need it.

What course did you take if it was 4 years?

Envy her for that, remember results was stressful as hell waiting to see if I got in to my first choice. She'll enjoy uni, it's the best thing I decided to do.

I had a similar thing with the coop, the boss at the one I worked at basically saved my ass by giving me shifts.

Cheers! I did an Integrated masters, so my undergrad degree and then a masters year, and graduate this year.  It's been bloody hard but enjoyable..

12 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Envy her for that, remember results was stressful as hell waiting to see if I got in to my first choice. She'll enjoy uni, it's the best thing I decided to do.

I had a similar thing with the coop, the boss at the one I worked at basically saved my ass by giving me shifts.

Cheers! I did an Integrated masters, so my undergrad degree and then a masters year, and graduate this year.  It's been bloody hard but enjoyable..

Hers is an MSci.Whatever that is!!!

She was lucky to get on the course .

Was predicted CCD from her 6th form and was mortified that they thought that.So she didn’t even apply the previous year as needed AAB.

Really wanted the course in Nottingham so worked her ass off.

We were in Florida results day and got her results about 3am.She was nervous for days before.Not a good feeling.

AAB 

Then the course changed to AAA

We went for the open day and luckily we saw the head of the department, by chance for a chat.He asked why she hadn’t applied beforehand,and she explained the above.

He just said “ i want people like you on my course,your attitude and determination are spot on”

He emailed later that day and said much the same and to email him when she sends the UCAS form so he can sort everything.

That attitude by them really sealed it for her.

Boring post I know,but so far she has made us proud.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

Was predicted CCD from her 6th form and was mortified that they thought that.So she didn’t even apply the previous year as needed AAB.

We were in Florida results day and got her results about 3am.She was nervous for days before.Not a good feeling.

AAB 

We went for the open day and luckily we saw the head of the department, by chance for a chat.He asked why she hadn’t applied beforehand,and she explained the above.

He just said “ i want people like you on my course,your attitude and determination are spot on”

He emailed later that day and said much the same and to email him when she sends the UCAS form so he can sort everything.

Not boring at all, it's great to see people finding something they want and working their asses off to get there!

Ah you see grades don't mean everything, uni's generally just want people in. Know a fair few who got into their uni several grades below their offers. You'd be surprised. 

MSci, it's a masters in science in her subject, so the 3 years will be the Bsc or bachelors section of the degree with the fourth year being the masters segment! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

AAB 

Fair play to your daughter @cambridgefox, I respect that, Nottingham is a decent uni and my friends that went had a ball. Sounds like she'll thrive (although I thought that about myself lol). Just as an aside, so much of the talk is always about tuition fees but your example shows that for many students it can be tough getting by on the maintenance they get. I was fortunate to get enough (shed load in final year) and to work a well paid job but for many it's hard. Seems strange that they ask for payment before loans come through as well.

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Fair play to your daughter @cambridgefox, I respect that, Nottingham is a decent uni and my friends that went had a ball. Sounds like she'll thrive (although I thought that about myself lol). Just as an aside, so much of the talk is always about tuition fees but your example shows that for many students it can be tough getting by on the maintenance they get. I was fortunate to get enough (shed load in final year) and to work a well paid job but for many it's hard. Seems strange that they ask for payment before loans come through as well.

Tuition fee I've just ignored tbh, maintenance loan has been the biggest issue for me.

2nd year my rent was more than my loan, so had to work my ass off to afford to live. My dad lost his job and so I was helped a bit more in 3rd and 4th years but it's still tough to get by.  

2 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Cheers,I know we get the bare minimum re the accommodation grant,but count ourselves lucky we can support her.Others aren’t as fortunate. I’m not stinking rich btw.

Would never stand in the way of her dreams and you never know she might pay us back one day!!!

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Tuition fee I've just ignored tbh, maintenance loan has been the biggest issue for me.

2nd year my rent was more than my loan, so had to work my ass off to afford to live. My dad lost his job and so I was helped a bit more in 3rd and 4th years but it's still tough to get by.  

We have said the same regarding the tuition fees.

Its the day to day and the extra £1000 per term accommodation that might be harder.

We have said we will pay her £350 PM and with the work she might be ok,unless she keeps going out!

10 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

We have said the same regarding the tuition fees.

Its the day to day and the extra £1000 per term accommodation that might be harder.

We have said we will pay her £350 PM and with the work she might be ok,unless she keeps going out!

I wouldn't worry or lose sleep over it though. Everyone will be in the same boat. It just becomes a running joke of how little money we all have. 

Like you said, she'll have a job for a bit and you've offered to help. That's the best you can do, she seems like she has her head screwed on so I'm sure if she needs help she'd ask and be able to sort out how much she can and can't spend. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

That you can't even mention Tottenham on this forum anymore without the known small group of idiots derailing the thread with the same witless comments and shit patter they've posted in 1000 threads before already.

think you meen the spuds!!!!!?

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

That you can't even mention Tottenham on this forum anymore without the known small group of idiots derailing the thread with the same witless comments and shit patter they've posted in 1000 threads before already.

Verminous Spuds etc etc etc.

Always the same 3 or 4 posters. WELL, er, it's mainly just one.

5 hours ago, Corky said:

FT- "Let's go to Fighting Cock, see what they are saying".

FC- "Can't stand Leicester, their fans are obsessed with reading about us".

FT- "HOW CAN THEY SAY THAT WE ARE OBSESSED WITH READING ABOUT THEM? I WAS ON THEIR FORUM AND COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS READING!"

Completely agree with you, didn't the Tottenham thing run its course a couple of years ago?

The amount of times Adrian Durham has been slagged off on this forum for saying something inflammatory about us...says one insulting thing about Spurs and suddenly it's, 'good bloke', 'knows what he's talking about' 'always liked him' etc.. lol

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

People who think it's 'fun' to take a selfie of themselves at tragic sites like Chernobyl and Auschwitz and post in on Facebook etc.

This is not aimed personally at you Wymes, just your comment reminded me.

All the complaining about "selfies",

A) If i want to remember a place or time or event and it helps to include me in the pic, get over it, it is not impacting your life.

B) The rules about places that shouldnt be "selfied"...  Who gets to decide what location is above selfie? Especially in the UK... every bit of ground you step on has some historical relevance, someone may have fought there, A battle may have occurred, a King may have been buried, or a great inventor or writer may have sat there. 

C) Yes.. VERY rarely someone will die or be injured taking a stupid pic... but tbf 5 other people will die/injured from stupid driving, walking, eating, drinking, cycling and no ones knickers are in a knot about that.

D) Just dont look.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matty98 said:

Parents who take young children on flights that aren't short. If your kid can't keep reasonably quiet and not kick the back of people's chairs they shouldn't be going on any flight over 2 hours imo.

Totally agree, those tall, lanky kids are a nightmare lol 

• Haha 4