Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Nah I like to mow it so the balls roll smoothly when I demonstrate me footballing talents 😂

Also it a battery mower so it's pretty quiet....plus my granddaughter trips over in the long grass 

Just a thought. I've always found the British lawn obsession quite odd. 

But I get the football point. 

34 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Just a thought. I've always found the British lawn obsession quite odd. 

But I get the football point. 

I read something about the "lawn obsession" supposedly, back in the day, only the very rich could afford to have land and not grow anything useful on it, so big "useless" lawns were a sign of wealth and power... this has carried over into our modern society subconsciously :) and we all believe that our lawns demonstrate our wealth and power

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

I read something about the "lawn obsession" supposedly, back in the day, only the very rich could afford to have land and not grow anything useful on it, so big "useless" lawns were a sign of wealth and power... this has carried over into our modern society subconsciously :) and we all believe that our lawns demonstrate our wealth and power

Hmm...Interesting point. Might be something in it. I believe something like 80% of British gardens have a lawn. Because they're so prevalent it's something most tend to overlook or just take for granted. But when you think about it, it is quite odd. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Hmm...Interesting point. Might be something in it. I believe something like 80% of British gardens have a lawn. Because they're so prevalent it's something most tend to overlook or just take for granted. But when you think about it, it is quite odd. 

Why is it odd?

We play football on ours and it’s the perfect surface for it. It’s like your own little private park.

What surface would you suggest would be more useful and less odd?

• Like 1

Absolutely hate mowing the lawn, but the benefits make it one of those necessary evils. Good to look at, good to sit on and good for things that roll.

Is there not a lawn equivalent of those auto-hoovers that cats sit on?

24 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Absolutely hate mowing the lawn, but the benefits make it one of those necessary evils. Good to look at, good to sit on and good for things that roll.

Funnily enough I seen those mowers advertised on tv for the first time last week, cant remember who make them though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

So when I let my lawn grow out that’s my equivalent to excessive bling.

I could go and cut the lawns this morning, but I really want to demonstrate to my neighbours my wealth and power over them! 
Let the lawns grow.

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

So when I let my lawn grow out that’s my equivalent to excessive bling.

I could go and cut the lawns this morning, but I really want to demonstrate to my neighbours my wealth and power over them! 
Let the lawns grow.

Quite the opposite 😊 keeping it neat and short shows your neighbor just how wealthy you are. Stop being lazy and mow your lawn!😂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Yes there are plenty now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not quite sure where to put this but does the coverage of Prince Philip's death need to be on every possible BBC TV and Radio station?

Surely BBC One and the News channel can simulcast and BBC Two run to a fairly normal schedule? They are showing the exact same thing currently.

It shouldn't be on their main channels full stop. BBC have a dedicated news channel exactly for it. 

It's old people's fault. They'd flip their zimmers if they moved it as they have no idea how to find the news channel. 

Edited by The Bear

33 minutes ago, Corky said:

Not quite sure where to put this but does the coverage of Prince Philip's death need to be on every possible BBC TV and Radio station?

Surely BBC One and the News channel can simulcast and BBC Two run to a fairly normal schedule? They are showing the exact same thing currently.

Agreed. It was on SSN so odd.

43 minutes ago, Corky said:

If it was a developing story, I could maybe understand, something like 9/11.

However, Prince Phillip is still dead.

44 minutes ago, Corky said:

Why are you watching both channels at the same time?

12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Is that because their normal programming is awful?

Unfair TBH. If you're selective, there's a lot of decent stuff on C4. Some excellent documentaries. 

Not for this topic thread to discuss, though.

2 hours ago, Corky said:

Absolutely this. There will be thousands of people who will give a passing nod to this moment in history but, just like everyone else, life goes on. We don't need blanket radio and TV coverage for the whole day and evening. Give us a break, there's only so many times we can hear about his life.

Yes it's an historical moment and let the TV and Radio dedicate 1 channel to the moment. Not every single BBC output. 

That's why I won't join the criticism of C4.