Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

What grinds my gears...

11 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Arrogant coercive grammar usage.

That reminds me...

A bit niche this one maybe, but smarmy precious British people on the Duolingo forums moaning about the Americanisms in English phrases on an American app. So smug and high and mighty.

I say this as a British person by the way. Find a proper language course in this country or an app that specifically uses British English if you're that bothered by it.

They also seem to forget that there is a huge variety of legitimate regional words and turns of phrase from these isles too. There's no such thing as one correct English. It's so narrow minded.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

That reminds me...

A bit niche this one maybe, but smarmy precious British people on the Duolingo forums moaning about the Americanisms in English phrases on an American app. So smug and high and mighty.

I say this as a British person by the way. Find a proper language course in this country or an app that specifically uses British English if you're that bothered by it.

They also seem to forget that there is a huge variety of legitimate regional words and turns of phrase from these isles too. There's no such thing as one correct English. It's so narrow minded.

You've reminded me that someone was trying to seriously claim that words (such as bath) that have 2 legitimate pronunciations, actually don't. One is right, the other isn't, I was told by said person.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

That reminds me...

Completely agree with what you're saying about the apps, especially if they're free.

I can overlook the Americans dropping the U in colour and neighbour. 

I can even forgive them for calling maths, math.

Even the different words we use, such as fender, elevator and highway are fine. That it mainly because they're new words that have come about since the original Pilgrims founded what we now know as the USA

But I am not having their pronunciation of Aluminium lol 

download (10).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Completely agree with what you're saying about the apps, especially if they're free.

I can overlook the Americans dropping the U in colour and neighbour. 

I can even forgive them for calling maths, math.

Even the different words we use, such as fender, elevator and highway are fine. That it mainly because they're new words that have come about since the original Pilgrims founded what we now know as the USA

But I am not having their pronunciation of Aluminium lol 

download (10).jpeg

Aluminum was the original trade name. It’s called aluminium over here due to a typo. So it’s not a pronunciation thing, it’s a different word in the States, and the right one at that.

So nah hah!

• Like 1

What's going on with these Rylan car adverts at the moment? 

He's gone from sitting on someone's kitchen work top criticising their decision to not have a vasectomy, to as good as saying 'someone's great to look at is but is thick as shit' lol

No way is this ok if it was a tradesman advert saying it to a blonde woman.

21 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Arrogant coercive grammar usage.

9 hours ago, String fellow said:

Shouldn't the two adjectives be separated by a comma? 

I'm not 100% sure but....I think a comma is only needed if he's referring to the arrogant and coercive usage of grammar.

If he's referring to the arrogant usage of coercive grammar (and I think he is), then no comma is required as "coercive grammar" or even "coercive grammar usage" is a noun phrase and only "arrogant" is an adjective? :whistle:

Care to clarify, @HighPeakFox

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm not 100% sure but....I think a comma is only needed if he's referring to the arrogant and coercive usage of grammar.

If he's referring to the arrogant usage of coercive grammar (and I think he is), then no comma is required as "coercive grammar" or even "coercive grammar usage" is a noun phrase and only "arrogant" is an adjective? :whistle:

And this kids is why you should pay attention in English class at school.
You never know when it’ll come in handy during your adult life :thumbup:

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Tbh, my message was an attempt to find out if what I'd written was itself an example of 'arrogant coercive grammar usage', because I'm struggling to understand what the phrase actually means! 

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Tbh, my message was an attempt to find out if what I'd written was itself an example of 'arrogant coercive grammar usage', because I'm struggling to understand what the phrase actually means! 

....and I was largely messing about.

But I'm curious, too. Not sure whether High Peak means people using grammar to force other people to do things, forcing people to use particular forms of grammar or just being "Grammar Nazis"....or something else..... :dunno:

2 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Aluminum was the original trade name. It’s called aluminium over here due to a typo. So it’s not a pronunciation thing, it’s a different word in the States, and the right one at that.

So nah hah!

You're saying the pan-Atlantic deviation in the naming of a chemical element is a trademark issue? 

:wes:

Edited by RoboFox

2 hours ago, Blarmy said:

So nah hah!

you're half right. the discoverer of aluminum named it that, but was told it didnt sound sufficiently latin, so they added "ium" to the end. the americans however, did not. and so we have the diferences, the correct, original spelling and pronunciation was "aluminum"

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

....and I was largely messing about.

But I'm curious, too. Not sure whether High Peak means people using grammar to force other people to do things, forcing people to use particular forms of grammar or just being "Grammar Nazis"....or something else..... :dunno:

59 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I didn't know the phrase myself, until someone who has much better command of language than I do introduced me to it. Coercive grammar is phrases like 'the whole nation mourns', 'everyone thinks that it's a shame', 'we all know what we voted for' and so forth. Regardless of context, and even if it happens to agree with my own opinion, I dislike it intensely because it forces one into either silence (and therefore be coerced whether you like it or not) or say something about it, and look pedantic/difficult/gobby, and get marginalised that way.

It really hit home in the coverage of the recent royal death -  a lot of people purporting to speak on behalf of us all without any knowledge or authority to do so. It is common to see in the main forum too - 'we all know that BR will leave for a bigger club as soon as they come along' being a good example.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I didn't know the phrase myself, until someone who has much better command of language than I do introduced me to it. Coercive grammar is phrases like 'the whole nation mourns', 'everyone thinks that it's a shame', 'we all know what we voted for' and so forth. Regardless of context, and even if it happens to agree with my own opinion, I dislike it intensely because it forces one into either silence (and therefore be coerced whether you like it or not) or say something about it, and look pedantic/difficult/gobby, and get marginalised that way.

It really hit home in the coverage of the recent royal death -  a lot of people purporting to speak on behalf of us all without any knowledge or authority to do so. It is common to see in the main forum too - 'we all know that BR will leave for a bigger club as soon as they come along' being a good example.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I completely agree with all you've said.....but am generally happy to be viewed as a pedantic, difficult, gobby, marginalised character. :D

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I completely agree with all you've said.....but am generally happy to be viewed as a pedantic, difficult, gobby, marginalised character. :D

I spend an awful lot of time deciding not to challenge it, for the most part, because it is soul-destroying, knowing that it is most likely to be ignored or misunderstood. So yes, I identify with that position too. Use of language is so important, yet many people appear to think that it is of little or no consequence. I could go on and on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliall said:

you're half right. the discoverer of aluminum named it that, but was told it didnt sound sufficiently latin, so they added "ium" to the end. the americans however, did not. and so we have the diferences, the correct, original spelling and pronunciation was "aluminum"

Well it was from memory, I still feel smug.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yep, I can see why that is frustrating.

However, I'd suggest there is a place for such language in matters that are a matter of fact or record, like the vast majority of scientific discoveries, for instance. To be quite brutally honest, coercive grammar like that can sometimes be used to help stop highly damaging misinformation about that particular topic from spreading.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I spend an awful lot of time deciding not to challenge it, for the most part, because it is soul-destroying, knowing that it is most likely to be ignored or misunderstood. So yes, I identify with that position too. Use of language is so important, yet many people appear to think that it is of little or no consequence. I could go on and on...

And we all know you will... :D

• Haha 2

Messy tradesman.

Maybe I’ve just had a bad run, but tilers, joiners, plumbers and other people of this ilk all appear to be messy buggers.

And that’s before you find out that they’ve bodged it!

Oh yea and don’t get me started to time keeping and punctuality. Wouldn’t know what that is if it is slapped them round the chops. 

20 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

We feel your pain Peaky 

• Haha 1