Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

12 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

How we getting on with the new peaky lads? Got to be honest, I'm not convinced so far

Not as good as the best series. Better than the worst (season 3 I think for me). 

First episode starts a bit slowish. Does get better from 2nd episode. 

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not as good as the best series. Better than the worst (season 3 I think for me). 

First episode starts a bit slowish. Does get better from 2nd episode. 

Thing is the formula is becoming established. First episodes, some dissent or unrest in the ranks. Second, Tommy comes up against a seemingly impervious antagonist. Third and fourth he'll struggle, at times losing ground, fifth it will be revealed that he's been ahead the whole time and we just DID NOT SEE IT. Usually because we won't have been given chance to see it. 

This is what sets, in my opinion, Breaking Bad apart. The narrative and character arcs are not predictable parabola. Though that is an outlier in terms of quality. 

That being said, i love PB. Great watching. 

On 05/09/2019 at 07:44, foxile5 said:

Thing is the formula is becoming established. First episodes, some dissent or unrest in the ranks. Second, Tommy comes up against a seemingly impervious antagonist. Third and fourth he'll struggle, at times losing ground, fifth it will be revealed that he's been ahead the whole time and we just DID NOT SEE IT. Usually because we won't have been given chance to see it. 

This is what sets, in my opinion, Breaking Bad apart. The narrative and character arcs are not predictable parabola. Though that is an outlier in terms of quality. 

That being said, i love PB. Great watching. 

I think the issue for me is, I still enjoy watching it and enjoy it for what it is. But in the earlier seasons, I quite like the addition of the PTSD on both Arthur and Tommy from the war, made them a lot more interesting characters and feels as we've gradually gone further it's less on that and more about slow motion scenes with the flatcaps having a cig with sparks flying in the background. Arthur so far this season doesn't seem much interesting & Tommy kind of feels like we're back where we were at the beginning of last season. I don't get them making him an MP and all this bollocks with Oswald Mosley either. We're definitely missing Hardy this series I think

23 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I think the issue for me is, I still enjoy watching it and enjoy it for what it is. But in the earlier seasons, I quite like the addition of the PTSD on both Arthur and Tommy from the war, made them a lot more interesting characters and feels as we've gradually gone further it's less on that and more about slow motion scenes with the flatcaps having a cig with sparks flying in the background. Arthur so far this season doesn't seem much interesting & Tommy kind of feels like we're back where we were at the beginning of last season. I don't get them making him an MP and all this bollocks with Oswald Mosley either. We're definitely missing Hardy this series I think

It's still there but does that not coincide in wanting to be less physically involved with gangs and tribes and more towards making a difference perhaps more subtly and less violently? (I know they still get involved but it's to a lesser extent). 

So there's less of a focus on PTSD because they don't suffer it as much?

Agree about Hardy. He was superb. Loved his acting and his character. 

15 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The Capture......I'm so confused :blink:

Enjoying it personally! His conviction on dodgy footage is very important - and the detective is starting to realise that she can't trust what she sees too. Very interesting and while I wouldn't put it alongside Bodyguard yet, it certainly has that potential as long as the resolution isn't daft.

16 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Enjoying it personally! His conviction on dodgy footage is very important - and the detective is starting to realise that she can't trust what she sees too. Very interesting and while I wouldn't put it alongside Bodyguard yet, it certainly has that potential as long as the resolution isn't daft.

Yeah I'm enjoying it too. Like you say the ending is key, especially with this kind of show. It'll either be wow, or an oh ffs moment. I think a lot of writers write these days with series two in mind, which kills the ending, and some series work better as a stand alone piece of work. Harlan Coban is excellent at stand alone one series dramas and they end well.

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah I'm enjoying it too. Like you say the ending is key, especially with this kind of show. It'll either be wow, or an oh ffs moment. I think a lot of writers write these days with series two in mind, which kills the ending, and some series work better as a stand alone piece of work. Harlan Coban is excellent at stand alone one series dramas and they end well.

The BBC do quite well with having so many standalone shows. Though Bodyguard might be having another... ITV are the worst though, the amount of times they have a series with a FULLY CONCLUSIVE ENDING only to announce in the credits they're making Series 2 is nauseating. (Broadchurch and Liar spring to mind)

I've read a few Coban books and he certainly is very good.

43 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

The BBC do quite well with having so many standalone shows. Though Bodyguard might be having another... ITV are the worst though, the amount of times they have a series with a FULLY CONCLUSIVE ENDING only to announce in the credits they're making Series 2 is nauseating. (Broadchurch and Liar spring to mind)

I've read a few Coban books and he certainly is very good.

Series 2 of Broadchurch was a joke. Have they even made season two of Liar yet? I'm annoyed Netflix have commissioned a second series of After Life too. Brilliant stand alone series.

As for Coban, he wrote The Five that was on Sky a few years back and Safe, that was on Netflix last year. I read Netflix where making an adaptation of his book The Stranger too.

Edited by Facecloth

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Series 2 of Broadchurch was a joke. Have they even made season two of Liar yet? I'm annoyed Netflix have commissioned a second series of After Life too. Brilliant stand alone series.

As for Coban, he wrote The Five that was on Sky a few years back and Safe, that was on Netflix last year. I read Netflix where making an adaptation of his book The Stranger too.

I enjoyed Safe, though having googled it again I can't believe it was it's own thing and not an adaptation of one of his novels! As a writer it irks me how prolific he is - just, how?! Haven't seen The Five, though there's a French adaptation of Tell No One that was brilliant a few years back. I need to read a few more of his, thinking about it.

I remember they announced another Liar, and I think they're filming it as we speak. 

With After Life I agree - it was utterly perfect as one series and I really hoped he wouldn't do another one. I'm a huge fan of Gervais though, and he must have enough decent material for it, so I'll definitely check it out.

Mindhunter has improved the further into it I've got.

It reminds me of Cracker with Robbie Coltrane, which I ended up not watching as it was just getting too ridiculous.  He'd find a discarded item of little significance & from this could tell you what the person they were looking for had for his tea last night.  

It's similar with Mindhunter.  They wade into an investigation & solve it based on the relationship someone has had with their Mum.  Piece of piss.

I like the characters, all the 70's stuff, the soundtrack & Ed Kemper is brilliant.  Going to start season 2 later today.   I've got to stop comparing it to Cracker though.