Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Let's have a TV shows thread.

This is probably old news, but I have recently discovered Justified. 

Six seasons, going back to 2010, but if you missed it first time around like I did, it is well worth catching up on, I'm hooked.

It features a cool as Clint, modern day cowboy Marshal, banished to the backwaters of Kentucky and his one time friend and nemesis, the seriously charismatic bad guy, Boyd Crowder.  Lots of convoluted hillbilly twists and turns, sometimes quite dark and often very funny.

2 hours ago, murphy said:

This is probably old news, but I have recently discovered Justified. 

Six seasons, going back to 2010, but if you missed it first time around like I did, it is well worth catching up on, I'm hooked.

It features a cool as Clint, modern day cowboy Marshal, banished to the backwaters of Kentucky and his one time friend and nemesis, the seriously charismatic bad guy, Boyd Crowder.  Lots of convoluted hillbilly twists and turns, sometimes quite dark and often very funny.

I raved about this at the time.

One of my all-time favourite series

Boyd is an amazing character.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

I raved about this at the time.

One of my all-time favourite series

Boyd is an amazing character.

He is!

Walton Goggins (cool name) is my new favourite actor.  He has a touch of the Jack Nicholsons about him I think.

Justified also has the best theme tune too!

7 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Well, into the third season of "Suits" and im done... how often can these writer just write the same fvcking thing with different faces!? :facepalm:

(checks IMDB, apparently for 9+ years)

Obviously realism isn't the objective of the show but it just became so wildly unbelievable that it pissed me off so much I couldn't stand it anymore.

• Like 1

After finishing Stranger Things, which I thought was excellent again, I've started The Boys. Really cool concept and two episodes in I'm already hooked.

Also started Arrested Development as not seen that before. Seems to have slipped through my fingers. Any good?

3 hours ago, Simi said:

Also started Arrested Development as not seen that before. Seems to have slipped through my fingers. Any good?

I love it and would put it in my top 3 favourite comedy shows all-time.

I know some who don't though, but I guess it depends on what style of comedy you like. If you like it early on then you're in for a treat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simi said:

After finishing Stranger Things, which I thought was excellent again, I've started The Boys. Really cool concept and two episodes in I'm already hooked.

The original Arrested Development run is ****ing sensational. Some of the funniest TV ever. 

The Netflix new serieses are a bit.... shit. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 20:17, spacemunky said:

I love it and would put it in my top 3 favourite comedy shows all-time.

I know some who don't though, but I guess it depends on what style of comedy you like. If you like it early on then you're in for a treat.

Arrested Development is great, first 3 series at least. Series 4 was so disappointing (the one with the non-linear story arc because they couldn’t get all the actors together) that I didn’t bother with series 5.

But 1-3 are gold.

24 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Arrested Development is great, first 3 series at least. Series 4 was so disappointing (the one with the non-linear story arc because they couldn’t get all the actors together) that I didn’t bother with series 5.

But 1-3 are gold.

Yeah 4 wasn't so great. It had some good moments of course, but it just didn't match 1-3. 

I'm the same as you as I haven't bothered with s5. I keep telling myself I'll get to it....eventually.

7 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Started Designated Survivor... seems reasonable thus far

I really liked it.

The first season is the best IMO but I'm glad I watched them all.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2019 at 13:09, pds said:

Started Mindhunter season one last night on recommendation of a few people in preparation for the new series coming soon.

About 5 episodes in and absolutely hooked. Although in my head Holden Ford keeps morphing into Michael Cera.

Amazing show and second series seems a shame good as the first. Although all I could think of when I saw the Manson actor was The Ghost of Christmas Present from Muppets Christmas Carol. Kinda ruined mystique. X 

13 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Started Designated Survivor... seems reasonable thus far

Eish... I've watched them all. 

How much sh!t can happen to one man? Seriously? Even if people were conspiring against you. 

It's the one thing I hate about American series, they think something dramatic has to happen each episode. No, keep someone alive so that we keep watching!

23 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Amazing show and second series seems a shame good as the first. Although all I could think of when I saw the Manson actor was The Ghost of Christmas Present from Muppets Christmas Carol. Kinda ruined mystique. X 

Loving the second series so far.

• Like 1

Is this ok to stick here?
Article (with a trailer at the bottom) about a film shot on a shoestring, without the shoe or the string about Bownessie and a missing Canadian television crew...
Dark comedy, with some nods to Monty Python, Jaws and The Wicker Man... Take anyone's fancy?? :/
https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/17834611.film-mythical-bownessie-released-kendal-musician/

Edited by Kendal Fox

On 14/08/2019 at 15:12, RonnieTodger said:

Yeah Suits was great when it started and although it had a far fetched premise it was cool. Tried to hard and just became a Lawyer version of House.

It jumped the shark when he went off to become an investment banker or whatever it was. Never recovered. 

First couple seasons are brilliant. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 Mindhunter and haven't been blown away as of yet. Is it a slow burner or should I have got hooked by now?

It's a bit of a slow burner but it's also slow.

If you aren't gripped by the idea and aren't actively interested in forensic psychology you probably won't ever be blown away. 

It does a very good job of portraying, analysing and explaining the characters that are real (the criminals) but the semi fictional characters (the FBI) are very hollow and don't really go anywhere much. 

The private lives of Bill, Wendy and Holden are ultimately badly explored and irrelevant distractions just to beak up the interviews with serial killers, making them all very two dimensional. It's not a fault of the cast, who are all good, it's just their writing isn't interesting. 

I think it's interesting watching as almost a semi documentary to an extent. Kemper especially is very well done and performed. It's just it's poor as a human drama where its main characters are concerned. 

They spend most of their time basically explaining things, often stating what would be obvious to each other for the benefit of us the audience in a rather wooden way. 

Edit: just to add, it might not sound like it but I do enjoy it and am eagerly working through S2 atm. But then I like true crime and find the subject matter fascinating anyway. If you do too, stick with it. 

Edited by Finnegan

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's a bit of a slow burner but it's also slow.

If you aren't gripped by the idea and aren't actively interested in forensic psychology you probably won't ever be blown away. 

It does a very good job of portraying, analysing and explaining the characters that are real (the criminals) but the semi fictional characters (the FBI) are very hollow and don't really go anywhere much. 

The private lives of Bill, Wendy and Holden are ultimately badly explored and irrelevant distractions just to beak up the interviews with serial killers, making them all very two dimensional. It's not a fault of the cast, who are all good, it's just their writing isn't interesting. 

I think it's interesting watching as almost a semi documentary to an extent. Kemper especially is very well done and performed. It's just it's poor as a human drama where its main characters are concerned. 

They spend most of their time basically explaining things, often stating what would be obvious to each other for the benefit of us the audience in a rather wooden way. 

Edit: just to add, it might not sound like it but I do enjoy it and am eagerly working through S2 atm. But then I like true crime and find the subject matter fascinating anyway. If you do too, stick with it. 

Yeah think I'll stick with it for a bit, its going to be one where I have to find time myself because the missus wasn't too keen. I do find the subject interesting and do enjoy documentaries on true crime, I like reading up on the real characters and spent time last night reading about Kemper. There is a lot of talking and that can become tiresome at times.

Found the random sex scenes in the first 2 episodes a bit weird, although enjoyable.

• Like 1