Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WiFoxes

Win It For

In 2004 the baseball team I am a fan of, the Boston Red Sox ended an 86 year title drought, becoming the first team to come back from an 0-3 deficit in a best of 7 series against the New York Yankees. Everyone had written them off. Most thought they were cursed and would never win again. But after winning that series they swept the World Series and became champions. That team of lovable misfits, nicknamed by themselves as "The Idiots," reminds me a lot of this Leicester City side. With one game to go, a member of their forum started a thread simply titled "Win It For." The thread ended up being over 50 pages, with members sharing how the team impacted their lives, along with close friends and family members' lives.  It's actually still archived, and you can read the entire thing here: http://sonsofsamhorn.yuku.com/topic/1611/Win-It-For#.Vx6KaPkrKM8

It ended up being in the news all over, even fans of their arch rivals, the Yankees saluted them for  it. A short time later it was actually all compiled and published as a book: http://www.amazon.com/Win-It-World-Championship-Generations/dp/159670084X

I thought with 3 points standing in Leicester City's way to the premier league title, we could do something similar. I know you all will have so many more stories and important people to share stories about. But I can get things started.

Win it for every member of Foxestalk, from Leicester to Australia to the United States. I consider you all friends and love this community. It makes me feel so much closer to being a part of this.

Win it for my daughter Emma, who was born the week of the first Crystal Palace game. I watched that game in the hospital with her. She's only witnessed one loss in her lifetime (was at the doctor's for the heart wrenching Arsenal defeat).

Win it for my wife, who puts up with me waking up as early as 5:30 AM, throwing on a Leicester shirt and yelling and jumping up and down every weekend and not once has complained.

Win it for yourselves, you magnificent bastards. Every member of this team (including Claudio) has been written off, laughed at, and flat out disrespected at one time or another in his career. But it doesn't matter. This is a team. A team of champions.

Win it for glenelgfox, who almost made it. Who fought as hard as he could just to watch Leicester play and chase this title. His spirit will be with all of us on Sunday.

Win it for my old man. He's on this forum so he will see this. Hes brought me up a Leicester City fan in South East London. My family have Arsenal connection so I could have just have easily been a gooner. My God am I glad not to be now. I have stuck with this side through thick and thin like most of us. But I have had to do with my school friends and now work colleges teasing me and never understanding why I do it.

Thanks Dad. Best decision I ever made was following city. And it would not have happened without you!

Win it for my fiancée's parents, life-long city fans who took me to my first Leicester game on Boxing Day 8 years ago.

Didn't really have an interest in football before then but I've been a ST holder for 8 years and it's been awesome - ups / downs and everything in-between. 

Win it for my late brother, who passed away ten years ago this August. His ashes are in the garden of remembrance so he can still be with us every match day. Such a shame he never got to witness this season after all those years supporting the City.

Win it for my old man, died suddenly 14 years ago but brought me up the way every good father should - as a Leicester City fan. I've been there watching the dross from Levein, watching Megson walk out on us and then Pearson dragging us back from League One. This is what it's all about, times like this. It's why we follow home and away. This is a moment I will never forget, thanks Dad, it's all because of you!

Win it for my mum, who was never a football fan but embraced City when I started supporting them. She would always try and keep up with results and transfers just so she had something to talk to me about! She passed away in 2012. She would have loved this!!

Win it for my late Dad who took me to my first game in 94. Died in January last year 3 days after losing to Stoke at home. Despite being unconscious at LOROS mum still thought dad let out a sigh of sorts when we conceded that game- We'd put the radio on for him.

Struggling with the loss stopped me renewing my ST for this season- don't ask.

I know you'll be buzzing up there dad!

Guest bss9401

Win it for my wonderful sister, who lost a short, cruel battle with cancer in August last year. She was such a proud and passionate fox with whom I would love to be sharing this. So many times we attended games and shared the highs and lows. We never thought that we would see this so my sister will in my first thoughts as we cross the line. Please guys, finish this off.

Emotional thread this one, think there will be tears when it's confirmed and big wes lifts the trophy, remembering love ones, who would loved to have seen it.

Don't know people's believes, but I would like to think they will all be there with us, when the boys lift it.

I'm not usually an emotional person, but have been close to tears a few times during this season, wierd how a game of football can do that.

On a personal level, I have had my battles with cancer, and over the last few years it's been touch and go, so to take my kids to watch us win the league has been amazing, and no matter what happens in the future, this season will be forever etched in their memory.

So to add to the thread title, win it for the past, present and future Leicester city fans.

Win it for my grandfather who passed away in the off season aged 90, my uncle and I placed a Leicester Scarf on the coffin for the funeral then he was buried with it. With out him i wouldn't be a City fan.

Also win it for all the bandwagon supporters of the so called big clubs to stick it up them!

And last but not least win it for all of us! I remember the old days of Foxestalk when it was always a glum place to visit after losses and there was plenty and plenty of dark times. We all deserve this our moment in the sun for all the dark times

Win it for all the people who's names are on plaques in the rememberance garden outside the stadium, and be grateful we're the lucky ones that lived to see this.

Win it for my 88 year old grandad who took me to my first game 22 years ago but now has dementia and doesn't understand when I tell him about city anymore.

My Dad.

Knew he was on the way out when he saw his last City game. The relegation game at Stoke in 2008. He said "Well, that's that then" in a deliberate double meaning.

He would have loved all this.

And I would have loved him loving it.

Archived