Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Long Eaton Fox

The Days of our Lives

11 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Shits all over the MON years lol

I genuinely thought that the MON years would be as good as it gets for our club... I'd have snapped your arm off for a repeat of that era a few short years ago...

there was a thread (about a year ago) ) which compared the MON v current side and most places went to the MON era.... doubt it would look the same now?

heady days indeed :-)

First started supporting the foxes end of 1991-1992 season and each season had a highlight/lowlight until you hit 2004-5:

Play off final defeat

Play off final defeat

Play off final win

Relegation

Play off final

League Cup win

Played in UEFA Cup

League Cup final

League Cup win

Played in Uefa Cup

Relegation

Promotion

Relegation

Dull

Even more Dull

Dullest

Relegation

Champions of  League 1

Play off semi final defeat

New Owners

Return of Nige

Deeney Day

Champions of Championship

Greatest of Escapes

Champions of England

Champions League

This can stretch back a season with Tony James securing our Division 2 status on the last day of the season. 1990-91

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

First started supporting the foxes end of 1991-1992 season and each season had a highlight/lowlight until you hit 2004-5:

Play off final defeat

Play off final defeat

Play off final win

Relegation

Play off final

League Cup win

Played in UEFA Cup

League Cup final

League Cup win

Played in Uefa Cup

Relegation

Promotion

Relegation

Dull

Even more Dull

Dullest

Relegation

Champions of  League 1

New Owners

Return of Nige

Deeney Day

Greatest of Escapes

Champions of England

Champions League

This can stretch back a season with Tony James securing our Division 2 status on the last day of the season. 1990-91

you can't say we are a dull club with not much going on, seems something always happens at Leicester either good or bad. we are certainly not middle of the road like say Everton or West brom

Imagine going back in time, sitting at stoke away, leaning over to the guy next to you and saying

"Don't worry mate, in ten years time we'll be premier league champions"

It's just absolutely crazy, I still cant believe it happened even now, seems like a dream!

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Played in Uefa Cup
Relegation
Promotion
Relegation

Dull

Even more Dull

Dullest

Relegation

Champions of League 1

New Owners

Return of Nige

Deeney Day

Greatest of Escapes

Champions of England

Champions League

Not as concerned about missing the MON era as I once was.

And yet the true nature of some of our support will shine through the minute we lose at home or go on a run of bad results.

The discontent and lack of atmosphere has already been apparent this season, despite it following on from our greatest ever achievement and us playing in Europe.

I hope our adventures continue, but mark my words there are plenty of fans (on here also) who will be jumping down the clubs throat the minute they dare to slip up.

We've already had insipid threads with nods towards Ranieri leaving and whether half of the team are good enough.

I hope it continues but the desire to moan and the enjoyment it brings to some will always be close by.

50 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Play off final defeat

Play off final defeat

Play off final win

Relegation

Play off final

League Cup win

Played in UEFA Cup

League Cup final

League Cup win

Played in Uefa Cup

Relegation

Promotion

Relegation

Dull

Even more Dull

Dullest

Relegation

Champions of  League 1

New Owners

Return of Nige

Deeney Day

Greatest of Escapes

Champions of England

Champions League

I came back to the chosen land from college in Swansea in 1991, just as Brian Little took over. For four years I'd seen managed to see the odd game here and there. I bought a membership which progressed to a season ticket which progressed to going away nearly every other week.

I think the reason I lost the faith during the dull, even more dull, dullest, relegation years was that I had been spoilt in the years that went before.

In 15 years time when we're going through another dull period of our history  will look back on the "good old days" of the Pearson/Ranieri years. Andy King will be co-commentator on BBC Radio Leicester and callers will be telling "Kingy" to get his boots back on cos the current shower of shite are useless and are not showing enough pashun.

3 hours ago, Lako42 said:

And yet the true nature of some of our support will shine through the minute we lose at home or go on a run of bad results.

The discontent and lack of atmosphere has already been apparent this season, despite it following on from our greatest ever achievement and us playing in Europe.

I hope our adventures continue, but mark my words there are plenty of fans (on here also) who will be jumping down the clubs throat the minute they dare to slip up.

We've already had insipid threads with nods towards Ranieri leaving and whether half of the team are good enough.

I hope it continues but the desire to moan and the enjoyment it brings to some will always be close by.

To be fair you could say the same about almost any club. 

5 hours ago, Captain... said:

Play off final defeat

Play off final defeat

Play off final win

Relegation

Play off final

League Cup win

Played in UEFA Cup

League Cup final

League Cup win

Played in Uefa Cup

Relegation

Promotion

Relegation

Dull

Even more Dull

Dullest

Relegation

Champions of  League 1

New Owners

Return of Nige

Deeney Day

Champions of Championship

Greatest of Escapes

Champions of England

Champions League

Just to add from when I started

FA Cup Semi final

Promoted

mid 1st div

mid 1st div

Nearly Relegated

Relegated

Pleat! 

DePleat?

Pleat OUT!

Stayed out of 3rd Div because Premier League was faffing about with numbers of teams

Hard to say never a dull moment  

20 hours ago, Koke said:

"Carlo Nash saved brilliantly from Iain Hume and Richard Stearman, and a win for Southampton sent Leicester down.

Stoke's fans invaded the pitch for a second time to begin partying, while the 2,000-strong Foxes contingent contemplated a dramatic fall from grace for their club.

Four years after exiting the top flight, they face the prospect of a dogfight in League One despite an injection of cash in the past 12 months from owner Milan Mandaric."

Seems like an eternity go.

Ah! The good old days.

On 10/24/2016 at 22:29, ScouseFox said:

i can remember just about the 98ish season. basically bar 05/06 and 06/07 when i didnt go much anyway, there's barely ever been a boring month supporting us let alone full season. 

you look through some clubs and just think what's the point. clubs like forest or leeds. it's been a generation since literally anything exciting happened to leeds, really. their season starts in august, they win a few, lose a few, already in october it's obvious they won't be going up and they're probably not going to go down. it gets to march time and it is literally season over we're finishing 14th already. 

barely ever happens to us. 

I've started to views things in a similar way now, not whether over 120 years these clubs are bigger and better or whatever, but over my supporting years (around 21) would I swap ours for theirs? The only thing I'd take is Leeds' Champions League semi-final, I'd take nothing from Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby of the supposed massive clubs in the Championship.

A Premier League title, two League Cups, four promotions, four relegations, play-off defeats, European victories, a year unbeaten at home in the Premier League and there's so much more you could add to the list.

I caught up with a mate last night who I'd not seen for a while and I still just can't put into words what happened last year, but when you look further back it really has been incredible.

That day at Stoke, losing to Cardiff and Deeney Day are 3 very painful memories but in the same vein, I think 8th of May this year was one of the best days of my life and it is precisely because we went through the shit we did that it is.

Your top 5 games since the start of 08/09 then? Let's not include trophy presentations or musical performances as being part of the game as the Everton game itself was hardly a classic despite obviously being the best day of everybody's lives.

I'd pick:

City 5 United 3

Man City 1 City 3

Forest 2 City 3

Burnley 0 City 2

City 3 Villa 2

Actually 5 is way too hard so maybe do 10 lol , there's so many I could have put in with only the wins over the 2 Manchester clubs being genuine bankers.

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

Play off final defeat

Play off final defeat

Play off final win

Relegation

Play off final

League Cup win

Played in UEFA Cup

League Cup final

League Cup win

Played in Uefa Cup

Relegation

Promotion

Relegation

Dull

Even more Dull

Dullest

Relegation

Champions of  League 1

New Owners

Return of Nige

Deeney Day

Greatest of Escapes

Champions of England

Champions League

Which is when I started as a 12 year old and that pitch invasion was epic.

That list looks impressive but when you throw in:-

- a couple of La Manga's.

- The Stan Collymore Experience (5-2 Sunderland, and the fire extinguisher)

- players playing for us for free, Brian Little coming back with Villa,

- Mark McGhee disappearing into oblivion.

- The honour that was Ooooh Ayyyy, Mickey Galloway (my personal favourite was when he got Vinnie Samways and Duncan Ferguson sent off in one match)

- The horror that was Peter Taylor

- Seeing Mancini in a Leicester Shirt

- Ian Ormondroyd!!!!

( I planned on stopping here but remembered the excellent history pages of foxes talk so reminisced going through them for more reminders)

- Kevin "Rooster" Russel

- Gary Coatsworth Orbit ball goal.

- The Cambridge play offs 5-0 win after getting tonked 5-1 by them in the league

- Going 3-0 up against Wolves by half time and losing 4-3 (getting rang up by Cov fans, who confirmed what they had heard when I told them where to go - I dont get many calls from them anymore)

- Breaking our Transfer record for Ade Akinbiyi, then breaking as a club and waiting another X years to match it for another complete failure (Matt Mills)

- Mark Blake being on every Sky Sports advert for about 6 months after scoring 2 goals.

- The hot dog kid

- Jamie Lawrence , armed robber, absolutely ripping julian dicks to the point that the full backs swap sides at half time to save him from more prison time punishment

- The Anglo Italian Cup

- The Zenith Data Systems cup played at Forest in our home matches

- That Muzzy Izzet Goal at Grimsby away. (I was there, so was my mate, asleep!!!! )

For the TLDR, I may be back but I really should go to bed now, fun for me though

It's hardly been boring has it.

There are some clubs who can point to a greater haul of trophies than we have. When I started watching Leicester in the eighties we were very much the poor relations to Forest and Derby in that respect.

But I have now personally witnessed us holding aloft 3 major trophies. I don't need to look in the history books as I was there. I couldn't have imagined that happening when I picked Leicester and was definitely not a glory hunter. Outside the elite clubs in the north west and London we now have a pretty good record when compared to the rest in terms of achievements over the last 30 years.

There are of course bad times to remember: the Pleat years, Peter Taylor, administration, relegation to League 1 and all the play off final defeats. However, this just makes the victories all the sweeter and gives us a sense of collective pride and satisfaction that a supporter of one of those elite clubs will never experience or understand.

Archived