Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Porto (home) Pre-Match Thread

1 hour ago, whitlock said:

I'm sure it will be a pretty overwhelming sensation when that music is played before KO. 

I don't doubt that. I just can't grasp how you can plan to cry? 

FIRST EVER IN THE COUNTY, WITH FOXES AND DRAGONS

FC Porto faces Leicester in the first match ever for the Champions League at the home of the Foxes

England is one of the countries FC Porto visits the most in European competitions. The Dragons already played 16 times there, the first of which 47 years ago, against Newcastle, and the last just last season, against Chelsea, in London. But the blue and whites have already discovered Manchester, Liverpool and Wolverhampton. They are now playing in Leicester for the first time, this Tuesday, at 19h45 (RTP1 and SportTV4), against the local team. Leicester is the biggest city in the East Midlands region, and it’s located in the Leicesterchire County, in East Central England.

The match against the current English champions, who are nicknamed “The Foxes”, is for matchday 2 of Group G of the UEFA Champions League. It will be previewed by Porto Canal at 18h30, and can then be followed live on FC Porto’s official Facebook and Twitter accounts, and on the official app. After the final whistle, the match, refereed by Turkish referee Cüneyt Çakir, will be reviewed by Porto Canal and www.fcporto.pt will have the usual report and statements from the coach and players.

FC Porto, who will have the support of about two thousand fans, will “sponsor” Leicester’s debut in home matches for the Champions League, the first ever match for European championships at the stadium, where the team started playing in 2002. On the eve of the 123rd anniversary, FC Porto will try to reach a never before seen feat: to win in England for official matches – the record is at 14 defeats and two ties, both reached in Manchester, against United (2004 and 2009).

And this will be an “opportunity to write a new page”, according to coach Nuno Espírito Santo, as stated in the press conference held Monday afternoon, where the coach promised a “sustained team” for the entire match, as they are facing a strong and quality opponent that will be playing at home. Sitting next to the coach was Alex Telles, who also assured the Dragons are prepared to “do the best” and to “fight for every play” from the start of the match, to get the three points back in Porto.

On the other side of the pitch, the blue and whites will face the leader of the group, as Leicester beat Club Brugge (3-1) in the first matchday. It was the third in nine official matches played so far in the season by the “Blue Armada”, as they are also known. Leicester comes from a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester United, in Old Trafford, in the Premier League. After a fantastic season that ended in the first ever title in the English league, the new season of the Foxes started with a defeat for the Supercup, against the “Red Devils”; they’re 11th in the championship, with seven points (two victories, one tie and three defeats in six matches); last week, they were eliminated from the League Cup, at home, by Chelsea (2-4), in a match where they subbed many of the usual stars.

http://www.fcporto.pt/en/noticias/Pages/lancamento-leicester-fcp-jornada2-ucl.aspx?

1 minute ago, davieG said:

FIRST EVER IN THE COUNTY, WITH FOXES AND DRAGONS

FC Porto faces Leicester in the first match ever for the Champions League at the home of the Foxes

England is one of the countries FC Porto visits the most in European competitions. The Dragons already played 16 times there, the first of which 47 years ago, against Newcastle, and the last just last season, against Chelsea, in London. But the blue and whites have already discovered Manchester, Liverpool and Wolverhampton. They are now playing in Leicester for the first time, this Tuesday, at 19h45 (RTP1 and SportTV4), against the local team. Leicester is the biggest city in the East Midlands region, and it’s located in the Leicesterchire County, in East Central England.

The match against the current English champions, who are nicknamed “The Foxes”, is for matchday 2 of Group G of the UEFA Champions League. It will be previewed by Porto Canal at 18h30, and can then be followed live on FC Porto’s official Facebook and Twitter accounts, and on the official app. After the final whistle, the match, refereed by Turkish referee Cüneyt Çakir, will be reviewed by Porto Canal and www.fcporto.pt will have the usual report and statements from the coach and players.

FC Porto, who will have the support of about two thousand fans, will “sponsor” Leicester’s debut in home matches for the Champions League, the first ever match for European championships at the stadium, where the team started playing in 2002. On the eve of the 123rd anniversary, FC Porto will try to reach a never before seen feat: to win in England for official matches – the record is at 14 defeats and two ties, both reached in Manchester, against United (2004 and 2009).

And this will be an “opportunity to write a new page”, according to coach Nuno Espírito Santo, as stated in the press conference held Monday afternoon, where the coach promised a “sustained team” for the entire match, as they are facing a strong and quality opponent that will be playing at home. Sitting next to the coach was Alex Telles, who also assured the Dragons are prepared to “do the best” and to “fight for every play” from the start of the match, to get the three points back in Porto.

On the other side of the pitch, the blue and whites will face the leader of the group, as Leicester beat Club Brugge (3-1) in the first matchday. It was the third in nine official matches played so far in the season by the “Blue Armada”, as they are also known. Leicester comes from a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Manchester United, in Old Trafford, in the Premier League. After a fantastic season that ended in the first ever title in the English league, the new season of the Foxes started with a defeat for the Supercup, against the “Red Devils”; they’re 11th in the championship, with seven points (two victories, one tie and three defeats in six matches); last week, they were eliminated from the League Cup, at home, by Chelsea (2-4), in a match where they subbed many of the usual stars.

http://www.fcporto.pt/en/noticias/Pages/lancamento-leicester-fcp-jornada2-ucl.aspx?

Nice to see they got the score right for the last game

2 hours ago, Livid said:

Was totally up for this but picked up some crappy lingering virus at the weekend and now have an eye infection as well. 

Feel I may be writing this one off for the sofa and BT Sport. :(

Choices.....Do you do the decent thing and stay at home, or go and watch the 2nd most Historic game at KP and cross infect half the stadium....you have to consider possibilities that there will be a power cut and BT will not be transmitting or the Satellite will fall out of the sky preventing the match reaching you at home......

p.s. get well soon ;)

1 minute ago, EGBFitness said:

What kind of time is everyone getting down there tonight and is anything happening pre-match? 

Fanzone with a big screen at Jubilee square and the Local hero have got a DJ on from 3pm. It was a good atmosphere when Local Hero did a similiar thing for the Everton home game.

2 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Fanzone with a big screen at Jubilee square and the Local hero have got a DJ on from 3pm. It was a good atmosphere when Local Hero did a similiar thing for the Everton home game.

Yes. Many people were just getting cans from Morrisons and then standing outside the Hero because it was rammed inside!

Just now, CloudFox said:

Bloody hell, I've just realised my last train home is at 21.58...

I'm going to have sprint back to the station to make it, aren't I?

You will be struggling with the crowd etc. You will have about 20 mins. May be worth leaving 5 mins before full time but then you might get the wrath of the home fans moaning about leaving early

A win with the Copenhagen double header coming up would put us in such a strong position to qualify. However, our defence is frail and the team still looks shaky.

I'm going for a win purely because I believe that we the fans will create such an electric atmosphere that the players will find the extra gear. I'm hoping for the 4-0 victory against Swansea style atmosphere tonight!

33 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Bloody hell, I've just realised my last train home is at 21.58...

I'm going to have sprint back to the station to make it, aren't I?

Hate leaving early, but may have to for once :/

Leaving early? Hope you're ready to be judged as to whether your circumstances allow such a thing. 

9 minutes ago, Foxes1 said:

Hope I get there for the Champions League music tonight. Missed it at Bruges as I was still trying to get through the Belgians police answer to checkpoint Charlie.

You couldnt hear it anyway unless you were on the left hand. What a night, hoping tonight can replicate. 

Planets have aligned for me to get an early train across to Leicester

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Are Porto any good? I feel completely ignorant but they are one team I haven't really watched or acknowledged over the last few years? Surely Slimani's destined to settle tonight's outcome. I think he'll grab a hat-trick in a 4-2 win.

I don't watch European football except from when English teams have played in Europe but I don't think Porto have won the league for like three or four years now. That's not a good indication of course, but given they are a big club with a rich history.

Archived