Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Kasper Schmeichel

1) Shilton, arrogant, aggressive, commanding, dedicated to his craft, years before his time.

2) Kasper, got everything, but occasionally makes the wrong decision. Will to win second to none. Always gives everything.

3) Wallington, Mr Reliable. Calming influence, good keeper. 

Wouldn't personally put Banks in top five. Saw him for three years, never felt confident with him. always remember the Man City replay 1966. Should have been our year. 

We've been blessed with some good keepers over the years. Keller was a great shot stopper and Kevin Poole weren't the worlds worst goalie. I can't remember many more during the Little/ONeill era? Apart from Kalac of course and what a calamity he was. Oh and Flowers was around then too wasn't he?

1 minute ago, Worthington said:

Agree.

He came to prominence in a TV game for Walsall, (might have been an FA Cup tie), anyhow JB signed him soon afterwards!

I think, at the time, the £35k fee was a record for a teenage 'keeper.

He was impressive from the off. Never really looked athletic, but he made Shilton's departure, 18 months later, easier to bear. I'd rank MW & PS as my equal 'number one', with Schmeichel coming up on the rails!

Banks ?? Not sure. He was the regular when I started attending games. But we seemed to ship an awful lot !!

I was a city supporter has G.Banks started at Leicester.

Both our W.class goalkeepers, improved with age.

We saw in both, some top and great performances, but imho they were better and obviously more

Experiened as they moved on, but just to stress behind the city badge, they had also great performance,

Or individually, pulled off some worldies.Banks at Liverpool, Shilton at W.ham, plus many more memorable

Show stoppers.

There were then some fans, me included, who would of seen Wallington perform internationally,

Some even rating him as downright underrated, and could well discuss why he was better than

His two more famous predecessors.

I believe we held/hold the record, for the longest time/period  ran, in having only 3 GKs no1s,

Covering the period they did.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

We've been blessed with some good keepers over the years. Keller was a great shot stopper and Kevin Poole weren't the worlds worst goalie. I can't remember many more during the Little/ONeill era? Apart from Kalac of course and what a calamity he was. Oh and Flowers was around then too wasn't he?

Carl Muggleton, Russell Hoult, Gavin Ward - All keepers under Little but Pooley saw them all off continuing into McGhee's reign with Kalac! O'Neill used Keller, Arphexad, Flowers... and Kalac for about 10 very famous seconds! 

Is Peter Shilton the only goalkeeper to score for City? I remember he scored against Southampton early into his career at Leicester. (I can't remember another keeper scoring, altho' Kasper should have had a goal credited.) Shilton has to be the best keeper I've seen over the time he was at City. Having said that if he Kasper stays and continues his recent form he will be coming very close to Shilton. It's always difficult to judge players from different eras: for example goalies today are expected to initiate attacks; in Shilton's era there were far more high crosses into the box so keepers needed to dominate the space around them which Shilton did very well. Kasper appears to be more confident now to do this which will improve us defensively as a unit.

I agree with the comments about Wallington - reliable but not outstanding as Shilton/Kasper can be.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Is Peter Shilton the only goalkeeper to score for City? I remember he scored against Southampton early into his career at Leicester. (I can't remember another keeper scoring, altho' Kasper should have had a goal credited.) Shilton has to be the best keeper I've seen over the time he was at City. Having said that if he Kasper stays and continues his recent form he will be coming very close to Shilton. It's always difficult to judge players from different eras: for example goalies today are expected to initiate attacks; in Shilton's era there were far more high crosses into the box so keepers needed to dominate the space around them which Shilton did very well. Kasper appears to be more confident now to do this which will improve us defensively as a unit.

I agree with the comments about Wallington - reliable but not outstanding as Shilton/Kasper can be.

Yes, the now infamous Yeovil wonder goal, given to Chris Wood in the end.

LCFC Yeovil 2014.png

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

Wallington was dependable. One of those players who achieved the maximum from the ability he had. He was better than Kasper at coming for crosses/corners. I don't think he was international class, and Shilton was in a different league.

Ian Andrews showed some initial potential when he broke into the team - especially good in one on one situations - but never fulfilled his potential.

Mark Grew as the worst goalkeeper that I saw . Any shot from outside the area was destined to beat him.

On 6/20/2017 at 20:17, DanNDH88 said:

Remember the days of Chris Weale letting in every shot from distance.

Remember the days of some on here defending every slip by Weale and a fair few thinking he was a good goalie.

Great to see how far the club have progressed in every position.

On the subject of decent keepers for us down the years - shout out for Paul Cooper.

Joined a poor Leicester team towards the end of his career and only stayed a couple of seasons with us, but a great shot stopper and famous for his penalty saves.

9 minutes ago, pds said:

Just had a look to see who played in goal in my first few matches and it was Martin Hodge. Can't say I remember him. Poole was the one I grew up watching mainly and although not outstanding did a very decent job for us.

Big, ugly bastard from what I remember :D 

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

The 3 best City goalies I've seen in 40 plus years are Mark Wellington, Kevin Poole and Kaspar.

Wallington more than any other player (including Keith Weller and Frank Worthington) was the reason Leicester survived as long as we did in Div I in the 70s. He was worth 10 points a season, under 2 points for a win.

Poole was pound for pound the best value keeper we've ever had. Signed in 1991 for about £35,000 I seem to recall from Port Vale. 

But Kaspar was ever-present when we won the PL, plus all the things he's done for us before and since. He's got to be our best ever keeper. Not bad for a club that's had Banks and Shilton on the books.

Incidentally, the best single performance  I remember from a City keeper was Gavin Ward in the 1994 Play Off semi final away to Tranmere.  He made world class save after world class save in a 0-0 draw and we squeaked through 2-1 in the home leg and played a crucial part in the win over Derby too.

22 minutes ago, ceredigion said:

The 3 best City goalies I've seen in 40 plus years are Mark Wellington, Kevin Poole and Kaspar.

Wallington more than any other player (including Keith Weller and Frank Worthington) was the reason Leicester survived as long as we did in Div I in the 70s. He was worth 10 points a season, under 2 points for a win.

Poole was pound for pound the best value keeper we've ever had. Signed in 1991 for about £35,000 I seem to recall from Port Vale. 

But Kaspar was ever-present when we won the PL, plus all the things he's done for us before and since. He's got to be our best ever keeper. Not bad for a club that's had Banks and Shilton on the books.

Incidentally, the best single performance  I remember from a City keeper was Gavin Ward in the 1994 Play Off semi final away to Tranmere.  He made world class save after world class save in a 0-0 draw and we squeaked through 2-1 in the home leg and played a crucial part in the win over Derby too.

Great memory there mate. I'd forgotten all about that game. One of my mates will remember it well though as he got nicked when we returned to our mini bus and ended up having to get a taxi all the way back to Lutterworth lol

7 hours ago, ceredigion said:

If we've now defined this to be "Best Achievements" for City I'd agree Kasper gets in but Shilton's achievements for Leicester weren't bad at a time when we we enjoyed one of the best periods of our history and his record number of caps for England speak pretty strongly when the question's considered generally.

I knew Shilts quite well. We were sixers in the same scout group and I used to shoot at the guy in the gym under the centre-stand after training on the old Filbert Street car park.

He had exactly the same kind of dedication as Kasper and willingness to gee up those around him if anyone was slacking.

But while both have been outstanding shot stoppers, somehow occupying more space that seems possible, Shilts has always seemed stronger in the air and has been fortunate in having two aerial masters in Morgan and Huth in front of him.

Shilton, in contrast, chose to deal with more of the crosses himself and would go through anyone and anything to get there.

He was also pretty good with his distribution and kicking whereas Kasper's hit and miss, some days brilliant, other days sloppy.