Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Kasper Schmeichel

19 minutes ago, shen said:

Just interviewed by Danish TV. He was ecstatic and very emotional, but one thing stirred me: He mentioned that the togetherness that this Danish team has reminds him a lot of the spirit at Leicester during the title season. It has a magic feel to it, which gave me chills. How good can this team be?

I think you could be worth a punt at a decent price, you're probably a decent centre forward away though but then again you've got Eriksen who's a monster. 

59 minutes ago, shen said:

Just interviewed by Danish TV. He was ecstatic and very emotional, but one thing stirred me: He mentioned that the togetherness that this Danish team has reminds him a lot of the spirit at Leicester during the title season. It has a magic feel to it, which gave me chills. How good can this team be?

Was on Skype with a danish friend I game with and he was pretty emotional too. Happy you guys have got thru and so easy too. X

• Like 1

I've transcribed Kasper's segment from part two of said documentary. Some of it will be a repeat of other stuff I recently posted.

KS = Kasper Schmeichel, J = Journalist, CE = Christian Engell (Kasper's personal mental trainer)

---------

Narrator: DBU (Danish FA) want to create a new and positive story about the national team.
Good results on the pitch are paramount, but at the same time they have opened up to the press at national team meetings.
The coach and selected players have to be available for interviews before or after training sessions.

J: Kasper, could you try to describe the hierarchy in this 'new' national team under Åge Hareide?

KS: I don't know if you can call it a hierarchy, but we have some older players where I suddenly am one of them.

---

KS: I have absolutely nothing against being interviewed, for example in this way (ed. casually sitting one on one in an arm chair) where there's a degree of understanding and freedom about how everything works here, where you can trust that what you actually say will be brought to the people in exactly the same way that you meant it.

KS: You don't experience that kind of open press at the clubs. The press don't get that much access to players there. That's an aspect of the national team that you have to accept.

-------

Narrator: 30-year old Kasper Schmeichel is one of the most experienced players in the squad. He's known very assiduously to optimise himself and his goalkeeping game.
His application and winning mentality makes him an important role model in the squad.
In 2017 he received the Footballer of the Year at the Danish Football Awards.

KS (speech): It's a great honour for me to stand here again. It's not possible without teammates and coaches and all the support from the family so I just want to say thank you very much.

Narrator: He lives in England where he plays for Leicester in the PL. He's married to Stine and has two kids.

J: How much time and energy does training and your football life take compared to your private life.

KS: I think when you play in England then you give up your private life.
Football demands all of your time. It requires incredible tolerance and understanding from your wife, children and family, because you're home, like, never.

------

Narrator: For Kasper Schmeichel, the long commute to work is a daily routine.

KS: I try to use my time as efficiently as I can. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, try to deal with various phone calls and stuff that needs sorting.

Narrator: Before training today Kasper Schmeichel meets up with his Danish personal mental coach, who amongst other things helps the goalkeeper deal with the tall performance goals he sets himself.

KS: It's year-round, every day. Even on holiday you always keep one eye on when training starts again. I have to be in the best possible shape, I have to be ready to perform when training starts. It's good to have someone to help you deal with various thoughts and sort your head out.

Narrator: 'Mental developer' Christian Engell works with several players on the national team, but Kasper Schmeichel is an entirely different proposition.

CE: He's not interested in just participating, he wants to win the big trophies. He will work to achieve that until the day he dies.
And part of that will to fight is to suffer, the pain. It's a lot of pain and he's paying the price to attain those things.
I don't think I've met anyone willing to pay the same price he does.

-------

J: But you're also hard on yourself, Kasper. Do you ever feel that you're pushing your body too much or..? Because you are so strong-willed.

KS: No. I grew up with a different mentality than the typical Danish one. To walk on the pitch in England is the most important thing.
You play through everything and anything. It's a boyhood dream, you don't want to miss a game. I feel exactly like that.
Just being able to step out on that pitch means everything.

KS: I cannot remember the last time I played feeling 100%, I just can't. You reach an age where things just start to hurt.
When you were 19, 20, 21, 22 years old you were invicible, you could do everything. You could train 2-3 times a day without any issues and not feel a thing.
But this is just something I have to deal with, the body changes and that's something you just accept as it is.

*Segment ends with Kasper watching The Big Lebowski on his laptop on the plane. Denmark are shown losing away to Poland and Kasper subsequently declining to speak to the press after the game*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I'm a big fan of Schmeichel, but what is going on with his distribution? No point pulling any punches, it's been crap all season.

what was going on with his coming or  staying...  truth is he knows he is not big enough or imposing enough to get through the crowd in his on 6yd box.  he is a good goalkeeper with many strengths ... he need to be clear in his own mind (the screen's gone all fuzzy/...)  what he is doing.

• 2 months later...