Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FireFox

Everton (Home) Pre-Match Thread

43 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Chilwell isn't going to magically become a top defender without playing. We play him and accept he won't be as good as Fuchs. We need to invest in players futures, there's always an excuse not to play youngsters "we don't want to go down, we want to progress in the cup, we want to try and finish in the top 8".

Absolutely no point on keeping him if were not willing to see him grow as a player with us.

Find it genuinely stunning how short termist some people are, especially with unfamiliar players.

He should go on loan then. Growth yes, but no at the cost of PL points.

Ranieri played 4132 just before the sending off on Saturday, with Albrighton playing in the midfield 3. This formation would give Chilwell plenty of protection and Gray a deserved start in the same position he plays for England U21. If Vardy doesn't get a reprieve, any of Okazaki, Ulloa or Slimani to take his spot.

image.png

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Chilwell isn't going to magically become a top defender without playing. We play him and accept he won't be as good as Fuchs. We need to invest in players futures, there's always an excuse not to play youngsters "we don't want to go down, we want to progress in the cup, we want to try and finish in the top 8".

Absolutely no point on keeping him if were not willing to see him grow as a player with us.

Find it genuinely stunning how short termist some people are, especially with unfamiliar players.

Playing players that have been torn to shreds every time they've played for us is not the answer

to add my thoughts to the Chilwell debate, I think this is the time time to play him. The alternative is Schlupp, who might do a decent job, but we know his limitations, and it feels very much as if he is on the way out. Let's see what Chilwell can do in a proper first team game. Sure there is an element of risk, but if he has a good game, it gives us the option to give Mr Fuchs a little more rest time in the second half of the season, and that would represent progress.

36 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

He should go on loan then. Growth yes, but no at the cost of PL points.

Dno if you've noticed but the experienced lads have hardly covered themselves in glory. Great opportunity to get another start and 90 minutes under his belt.

15 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Playing players that have been torn to shreds every time they've played for us is not the answer

You make it sound like a team has spent 90 minutes taking us apart on their right wing. He'd actually be playing as part of a decent team, not the absolute dregs like Was and Schlupp (you'd hope anyway).

If it's a choice between playing our promising left back, who's played a blinder for Huddersfield last season and is a regular for England u21's. Or Jeff Schlupp, who's been given a million chances because he's fast and strong, give me Chillwell any day.

Fair play if you don't believe in giving youth a fair crack and prefer having a finished article/older player out of position. It's definitely a more pragmatic and sensible short term choice.

I've always been in favour of developing players and always will be. I think it's down to personal preference really.

42 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Dno if you've noticed but the experienced lads have hardly covered themselves in glory. Great opportunity to get another start and 90 minutes under his belt.

You make it sound like a team has spent 90 minutes taking us apart on their right wing. He'd actually be playing as part of a decent team, not the absolute dregs like Was and Schlupp (you'd hope anyway).

If it's a choice between playing our promising left back, who's played a blinder for Huddersfield last season and is a regular for England u21's. Or Jeff Schlupp, who's been given a million chances because he's fast and strong, give me Chillwell any day.

Fair play if you don't believe in giving youth a fair crack and prefer having a finished article/older player out of position. It's definitely a more pragmatic and sensible short term choice.

I've always been in favour of developing players and always will be. I think it's down to personal preference really.

It's not that I don't believe in giving youth a chance, I just think Chilwell has looked very poor every single time he's played for us

16 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

It's not that I don't believe in giving youth a chance, I just think Chilwell has looked very poor every single time he's played for us

If he plays on Saturday, it will probably be the first time he's been picked in a team that will be aiming to win a game. Will be interesting to see how he does in a team that's trying to win.

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

If he plays on Saturday, it will probably be the first time he's been picked in a team that will be aiming to win a game. Will be interesting to see how he does in a team that's trying to win.

Are you suggesting it's the rest of the teams fault he's looked poor?

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Last season he wasn't torn to shreds in the games he played. Even when Spurs beat us 2-0 he had a fairly decent game and made a couple of stunning last ditch tackles and blocks. My only concern with him which I'm astounded hasn't been coached out of him yet is he turns his back sometimes when defending which is a big no no. Danny Simpson does it every so often as well but still manages to have the awareness to keep out of trouble. I think considering how highly our club rates him and we fended off serious interest for him from bigger clubs than us, we should put our faith in him.

22 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Are you suggesting it's the rest of the teams fault he's looked poor?

Not really, he needs to be responsible for his own battles. I think he'd have more protection and chance to thrive when playing with first team players, rather than being tossed into a team made up of players that get 90 minutes every 3 or 4 months.

It's a bit like Kramaric when was absolutely slated by a lot of fans, yet his only decent run in the side came when he was playing as an isolated striker in a 5 4 1 formation.

On 17/12/2016 at 17:22, Master Fox said:

Ulloa is a far better player than Slimani. Has to start imo. 

Based on 20 minutes against Stoke?

Come off it mate. Slimani had a poor game on Saturday but it just shows how quick people are to forget how brilliant he was against Man City.

Chilwell's biggest problem is positional awareness. He is rarely in the right position. Porto he constantly marked the wrong man leaving gaping space. Last season every time i saw him play it was the same thing. He would look decent in parts but overall not great. 

I would still put him in though as his weaknesses are things that will only get ironed out with minutes on the pitch.

I'm sorry i haven't been keeping up with this thread. Am i right to assume that Fuchs is suspended for this game through 5 yellows. If so then i would most certainly start Chilwell. 

Did i imagine Huth being out as well?

22 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Based on 20 minutes against Stoke?

Come off it mate. Slimani had a poor game on Saturday but it just shows how quick people are to forget how brilliant he was against Man City.

Think people are just keen to write him and anyone new off. 5 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts is a decent return considering he is being played out of his main position and we've been awful in most of the games. 

Just now, lgfualol said:

Think people are just keen to write him and anyone new off. 5 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts is a decent return considering he is being played out of his main position and we've been awful in most of the games. 

he was shit for us last season though, 0 goals and assists, terrible

Chilwell's performance have came from a lack of games. He appears unfit and struggles with the speed of the game. 

His best game for Leicester? Against Spurs away in the cup which came after a 8 game loan spell at Huddersfield. 

I'd actually start Ulloa - two reasons he's deserving of it and also because it shows that you can claim your place with good performances. This is coming from a guy who really rates Slim too. 

Archived