Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Redouane

Everton

It's conceivable that we could drop four places before we kick off at Everton. That would then paint a very different picture.

I am sure Shakey will pay due homage to that old cliche of taking every game as it comes and field a team he thinks can add to our total at Goodison Park. We are not in a position to forfeit Premier League points. Our next four games are away from home. If we don't win one of those, chances are we'll be right back in the thick of a relegation battle.

Atletico have also won five leagues games on the spin. I doubt they'll rest too many for Saturday's Madrid derby.

I would also like to think that the adrenaline of playing in a Champions League quarter final will conquer any fatigue. And if it doesn't we do have the use of three substitutes.

A point at Everton and a narrow defeat in Madrid would do me. Anything more in either game would be fantastic.

1 hour ago, Hammo said:

It's conceivable that we could drop four places before we kick off at Everton. That would then paint a very different picture.

I am sure Shakey will pay due homage to that old cliche of taking every game as it comes and field a team he thinks can add to our total at Goodison Park. We are not in a position to forfeit Premier League points. Our next four games are away from home. If we don't win one of those, chances are we'll be right back in the thick of a relegation battle.

Atletico have also won five leagues games on the spin. I doubt they'll rest too many for Saturday's Madrid derby.

I would also like to think that the adrenaline of playing in a Champions League quarter final will conquer any fatigue. And if it doesn't we do have the use of three substitutes.

A point at Everton and a narrow defeat in Madrid would do me. Anything more in either game would be fantastic.

This

It's a tough one, as we want to keep the momentum going but we need everyone fit and ready for Madrid. Sevilla away took a lot out of the players and Madrid away could potentially be even harder. I wouldn't like us to make 11 changes but resting 1 or 2 key players could be a good idea. We don't have much room for changes in defence as we don't know if wes is fit and we don't have any other options other than Amartey and Was. It's great that we have the choice to rest players though as we know we are 99% of the way to avoiding relegation. 

Merson predicting a defeat for City - there's a surprise!!! T**T!!

Our two worst away records were at WestHam and Everton - but I'm thinking we've won our last two at Goodison plus the last two away against The Hammers?

Another win on sunday - King and Slimani -  2-1 -Shakespeare's record start goes into overdrive!

4 hours ago, Redouane said:

I doubt Shakey will throw this game away, I'm sure he wants to break the record of most wins for a new coach

I doubt he'll take that into consideration, he doesn't have that sort of ego.

He'll do what he thinks is best for the club.

Koeman has consistently given Leicester its toughest games. Even last season Leicester needed some breaks vs. Southampton. 

Not sure how big of a difference Ashley Williams absence will make. Leicester was absolutely bullying him last season at Swansea. 

18 minutes ago, boobagab said:

Koeman has consistently given Leicester its toughest games. Even last season Leicester needed some breaks vs. Southampton. 

Not sure how big of a difference Ashley Williams absence will make. Leicester was absolutely bullying him last season at Swansea. 

Ashley Williams has been on a rapid decline over the last 2 years. I really rated him back then, but he has been pretty awful recently and I know the Everton fans haven't been impressed, although they did say he was on a MOTD performance against Man U before the handball.

I thought they only had Jagielka fit but they have a young CB too called Pennington who is going to come in. Only played twice in the league this season though. 

I'd fancy our best 11 to beat them, but I think we will see a handful of changes, and that could make it difficult. 

whilst everyone is commenting on not needing to give too many a rest on Sunday, it may be relevant to realise that getting points at palace the following weekend is more important than at Everton. And then we have the home tie to come. if you keep flogging a horse .............

fortunately the management and backroom staff will know what's going on with the numbers and act accordingly.

12 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Ashley Williams has been on a rapid decline over the last 2 years. I really rated him back then, but he has been pretty awful recently and I know the Everton fans haven't been impressed, although they did say he was on a MOTD performance against Man U before the handball.

I thought they only had Jagielka fit but they have a young CB too called Pennington who is going to come in. Only played twice in the league this season though. 

I'd fancy our best 11 to beat them, but I think we will see a handful of changes, and that could make it difficult. 

Is this their young CB?

original_crikey-penfold-danger-mouse-mug.jpg

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

All this talk of resting is unnecessary. I know the champions league has added a few more games, but with this season's naff rotation policy and injuries I'm sure a lot of them may have played less matches than last season. They will be fine.

They looked great the last 20 at West Ham didn't they

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They looked great the last 20 at West Ham didn't they

That was after the gargantuan mental and physical achievement against Seville. That must have been more draining than the normal PL programme. Agree we were out on our feet last quarter of the game v WHam. However, the psychological effect of winning on the whole club seems to lift everyone. Conversely If we get a real pasting at Goodison it could bring back some horroble vibes from earlier in the season...

Just pick the team against Everton with optimal performance against Atletico in mind.

We're on 36pts which might already be enough to stay up. I'll be pissed off if we die on our feet against Atletico in the last half hour like we did against West Ham and virtually lose the tie in that time. Especially if we finish about 12pts clear of 18th by the end of the season.

It's a Champions League QF and we're already big underdogs in a tournament we may never be in again in our lifetimes. It's a calculated risk but a risk worth taking, let's give ourselves the optimal chance and we'll deal with what the relegation battle serves up to us later in the season.

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Just pick the team against Everton with optimal performance against Atletico in mind.

We're on 36pts which might already be enough to stay up. I'll be pissed off if we die on our feet against Atletico in the last half hour like we did against West Ham and virtually lose the tie in that time. Especially if we finish about 12pts clear of 18th by the end of the season.

It's a Champions League QF and we're already big underdogs in a tournament we may never be in again in our lifetimes. It's a calculated risk but a risk worth taking, let's give ourselves the optimal chance and we'll deal with what the relegation battle serves up to us later in the season.

Schmeichel

Chilwell (Fuchs rested)

Benny (Morgan if fit comes back in Athletico)

Huth

Simpson

Grey (Albrighton rested)

King (Drinkwater rested)

Ndidi

Musa (Mahrez rested)

Slimani (Vardy rested)

Ulloa (Okazaki rested)

4 of our key players without the ball Schmeichel, Huth, Simpson, Ndidi play both games, gives squad players a game an has a chance of getting a point this team I think.

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

Schmeichel

Chilwell (Fuchs rested)

Benny (Morgan if fit comes back in Athletico)

Huth

Simpson

Grey (Albrighton rested)

King (Drinkwater rested)

Ndidi

Musa (Mahrez rested)

Slimani (Vardy rested)

Ulloa (Okazaki rested)

4 of our key players without the ball Schmeichel, Huth, Simpson, Ndidi play both games, gives squad players a game an has a chance of getting a point this team I think.

Morgan hasn't played for 3 weeks and has had a back problem and you'd throw him in against Griezmann?:nigel:

If Vardy, Mahrez, Drinky, Fuchs and Shinji are at least given 45 minutes rest I'll relax a little: they probably can run on adrenalin alone for the first Athletico match, but I fear for their fatigue at Crystal Palace and the second Athletico match if they all play the 90 minutes against Stoke, Sunderland, Everton and Athletico away. 

Saving strength for Athletico seems sensible. We're are not safe yet, but we do have eight matches left, with four points to win out of a possible twenty-four. Despite our form, individual player form and our confidence, it's still a risk, but a calculated risk, and one that could reep amazing rewards.

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Morgan hasn't played for 3 weeks and has had a back problem and you'd throw him in against Griezmann?:nigel:

If he's fit like fully fit 100% then yeah, he played 89 games or whatever before that, if he'd been out for 3 months I could understand that argument. If he's fit enough to play but Shakey prefers Benny for A Madrid then play Morgan at Everton, i'd just like 1 of the 2 CB'S playing both games Huth, could maybe try Amartey at CB for Everton. It just gives a chance of getting a result against Everton that way while resting enough players.

We have the advantage of playing a day later than the relegation teams.

The big match is West Ham vs Swansea and anyone with relegation fears will be cheering on West Ham. I'll be hoping Tottenham beat Watford as well as next week it's Watford vs Swansea. If neither get a result this week then that becomes a massive game for Watford. 9pts clear of Swansea and if they win that it's 12pts clear with five to play and they're all but safe, lose and 6pts clear with five to play..

Swansea need 9pts to catch us with 7 games left. Playing a squad team against Everton is risk well worth taking.

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

If Vardy, Mahrez, Drinky, Fuchs and Shinji are at least given 45 minutes rest I'll relax a little: they probably can run on adrenalin alone for the first Athletico match, but I fear for their fatigue at Crystal Palace and the second Athletico match if they play the 90 minutes against Stoke, Sunderland, Everton and Athletico away at full pelt.

I'll be happy enough to send the reserves out against Palace in most circumstances. It's easier to judge what the team should be on Thursday morning depending on our result in Madrid and this week's PL fixtures.

I think by beating Sunderland to get 36pts the players have earned the right to give themselves the optimal chance of succeeding in the Champions League. We're probably one win or a couple of draws away from safety. If we hadn't beat Sunderland then the dynamics change but we did,

I'll be seriously pissed off if we lose because tiredness is a factor and we end up on near 50pts in the league.

Walsh Salutes 'Inspirational' Shakespeare

@Everton07 April 2017 08:50

2017/18 Season Tickets

Renew your Season Ticket

Register your interest

Season Ticket prices 

Payment options

Now On Sale

Everton v Leicester City
Sunday 9 April, 4pm
Buy Tickets
Hospitality

Steve Walsh has applauded Craig Shakespeare for turning the tide at Leicester City - but says he’s desperate to stop his old friend equalling a Premier League record this weekend. 

Walsh worked with Shakespeare at Hull City and Leicester for more than eight years before joining Everton last summer, with both playing their part as the Foxes secured a stunning title success last term. 

Shakespeare has won all five of his league games since replacing Claudio Ranieri as Leicester boss in February and also guided the East Midlanders past Sevilla in the last-16 of the Champions League. 

However, only two managers - Carlo Ancelotti and Pep Guardiola - have recorded victories in their first six Premier League games and Walsh is out to stop his former colleague joining esteemed company on Sunday.  

Speaking to The Everton Show, Walsh said: “He’s quite inspirational in his delivery and always was, he’s a very good coach and obviously the players like him and are performing to the best of their ability at the moment. 

“He’s very knowledgeable, I think he tells the players the sensible things to do, he makes it clear, makes it simple and breaks things down into the parts of the jobs he expects them to do. 

“He had an immense part to play in what happened last year, as did we all. We were a good team on the pitch but we were also a good team off it as well and Craig certainly played his part in that, there’s no doubt. 

“It’ll be nice to catch up with him on Sunday but, at the end of the day, the rivalry is there and we want to beat them.” 

Walsh is credited with taking the likes of N’Golo Kante, Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez to the King Power Stadium and, despite the loss of Kante to Chelsea last summer, admits he was surprised by the run of form that led to Ranieri losing his job. 

Leicester head to Goodison having climbed to 11th in the table under Shakespeare, however, and Walsh believes a top-10 finish would represent another successful campaign for the reigning champions. 

“I am quite surprised they didn’t get off to a better start,” he said. “I think it was always going to be difficult because they had an awful lot of other things to think about - Champions League, for instance - so it was always going to be a big ask. But I always thought if they could finish in the top 10 and qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League that would be success. And who’s to say now that they won’t do that?”

Leicester’s renaissance has coincided with forward Vardy rediscovering his best form, the England international having netted six goals in his past seven club games, as well as notching in the Three Lions’ 2-0 World Cup qualifying win over Lithuania.

That run follows just seven goals in his previous 36 outings for club and country,  and Walsh admits he’ll be working on a plan to shackle the man he signed from Fleetwood but first spotted at non-league Stocksbridge Park Steels.

“It’s difficult to stop someone like Jamie but being in a position where you know the opposition you’ve got to plan for that and that’s what we at Everton will be doing,” he added. “We know what to expect and we’re going to try to counteract that and then concentrate on our own game so we get the favourable result that everyone wants.”

Archived