Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Trouble in Madrid

Just now, FoxonMaui said:

My wife and I were in Madrid from the Tuesday morning . We arrived at the Plaza Mayor around 1pm and there were already a large number of City fans there. There was a group of about thirty fans drinking and chanting and generally letting off steam in one of the outdoor tented bar/restaurant areas on one side of the plaza. At that point it was boisterous but generally light hearted. We left and walked around the outer areas of the Plaza and had a lovely lunch and the atmosphere was great , no tension and nothing but a great sunny day in a wonderful city. We walked back into the plaza after lunch and the boisterous group from earlier had turned up their volume and we visibly getting drunk but they were not at that point creating any real disturbance but you could see the potential growing. There was no visible riot police around at the time. We left to walk back to our hotel for a rest as we had flown in on a red eye from Maimi that morning. I said to my wife as we left that if the noisy drinking crowd continued to drink at the rate they were there was likely to be trouble later. We returned later in the evening around 9pm and things had deteriorated to the point that riot police were everywhere and they were moving the standing crowd back and away from the now belligerent original group of about thirty that now seemed a bit larger. It was past dusk and it was clear to see that the Police had about had enough. Many people were still sitting at outside tables under the tents on either side of the chanting and rowdy drunk crowd. We were standing watching and I grabbed my wife and said we need to get out of here and we quickly walked around the back of the chanting mob that was clearly directing their ire towards the police. We watched from a distance of about 30 yards when we were near an exit from the Plaza and saw a group of about a dozen to fifteen riot police line up backs to the side wall of the plaza facing towards the now taunting drunken mob that was amongst the tables about twenty five yards away . They stood there for several minutes and at one point they backed up a bit and the mob started taunting them and waving them away as if they were taunting them for being  too afraid to intervene. That set it off, the police quickly began to form a tight wedge and by this point it was obvious that everything was about to go very wrong. I again grabbed my wife and we back away another thirty feet so we were just about 20 yards away from a corner exit from the plaza and a good 50 yards away from what was going on. I could no believe how many of our fans were still oblivious to what was about to happen. They were either sitting at tables on both side or standing out in the plaza just yards from the drunken mob watching the spectacle. The wedge of police began to advance through some of the empty tables and then someone in the mob threw something, it looked like a beer glass but I cannot be sure , whatever it was it flew towards the riot police and I heard it smash on the cobblestones. The wedge of police charged and all hell broke loose. A chair flew through the air , tables flew everywhere and the police tore into the group of taunting fans, who all almost immediately ran away from what I could see and the police just waded into anyone who was nearby regardless of whether they were involved in the real disturbance. Chairs and tables went everywhere and anyone who had stayed within a twenty  five yard radius of the loutish drunk group had no time to react before they were being beaten with batons. I saw about a dozen of the instigators and close hangers on race out the corner of the plaza nearest us that led to a long steep stone stairway with police in persuit . That was the last I saw as my wife and I hurried away. This would never have happened without a group of idiotic morons who got totally trashed on alcohol and who taunted the police . Sadly many fans who were doing nothing wrong except they were plain silly for not seeing what were obvious warning signs. I think it was a mixture of naievity and the train wreck syndrome where you cannot take you eyes off the accident about to happen . The result was that about 40 idiots who were completely drunk and out of control, caused mayhem and gave the riot police the reason to charge in. Many people who were attacked by the police were just onlookers who were easy targets for the riot police as the instigators pretty much all ran in the first few seconds. I hope the club get all the film footage and ban every one of the idiots who started this. I know from talking to people the next day as the plaza that many are well known for past problems and I hope the real fans help the club identify them and ban then for life. 

The Wednesday scenes would never have taken the turn they did without the Tuesday night events to put the police on edge. Wednesday the police had a clear plan to seal all six exits to the plaza the moment any trouble kicked off. 

Otherwise we had a wonderful time in Madrid, met many great City fans and enjoyed walking around a beautiful and friendly city. Even had the chance to meet and thank our wonderful owners near the Plaza Mayor Wednesday mid afternoon  where they were freely mingling with fans. We had tickets amongst the Athleti fans and we were not bothered at all and after the game a number high fived us and we're friendly and welcoming even though they were not happy with only the one goal. 

One other story that is worth highlighting because it speaks of the vast majority of our fans and the Athleti fans.Wednesday lunchtime we were back in Plaza Mayor and deliberately chose the far end of the Plaza from the previous nights trouble to have lunch. We were sitting at a table enjoying some paella and soaking in the sights with many City fans sitting around. A table full of our fans began singing Leicester songs and a group of Spanish girls broke in and began singing a long Athleti song in response. We all turned and watched and thought the girls were singing proudly it was clearly in fun and when the finished with a flourish the lead girl flipped us all the finger in defiance. All the city fans burst out laughing and gave her a loud round of applause. They lead girls bowed and went on their way. That's what I will remember from our time along with all the other great things we experienced. 

Good read and probably the best account we are likely to read on here. 

Glad you and your wife had an enjoyable trip mate.

• Like 1

Absolute essay!

Similar account to what we've heard before to be honest. Rowdy group of Leicester fans making a noise and drinking beer, police do some manoeuvres in front of them and then a few not very intelligent people throw objects at them which starts things off. To me that's justification for the police wading in and making arrests and not a whole lot more. 

Edited by Harry - LCFC

47 minutes ago, Craig said:

lol

You can instantly tell who was there and who wasn't.

Im gus

18 minutes ago, FoxonMaui said:

My wife and I were in Madrid from the Tuesday morning . We arrived at the Plaza Mayor around 1pm and there were already a large number of City fans there. There was a group of about thirty fans drinking and chanting and generally letting off steam in one of the outdoor tented bar/restaurant areas on one side of the plaza. At that point it was boisterous but generally light hearted. We left and walked around the outer areas of the Plaza and had a lovely lunch and the atmosphere was great , no tension and nothing but a great sunny day in a wonderful city. We walked back into the plaza after lunch and the boisterous group from earlier had turned up their volume and we visibly getting drunk but they were not at that point creating any real disturbance but you could see the potential growing. There was no visible riot police around at the time. We left to walk back to our hotel for a rest as we had flown in on a red eye from Maimi that morning. I said to my wife as we left that if the noisy drinking crowd continued to drink at the rate they were there was likely to be trouble later. We returned later in the evening around 9pm and things had deteriorated to the point that riot police were everywhere and they were moving the standing crowd back and away from the now belligerent original group of about thirty that now seemed a bit larger. It was past dusk and it was clear to see that the Police had about had enough. Many people were still sitting at outside tables under the tents on either side of the chanting and rowdy drunk crowd. We were standing watching and I grabbed my wife and said we need to get out of here and we quickly walked around the back of the chanting mob that was clearly directing their ire towards the police. We watched from a distance of about 30 yards when we were near an exit from the Plaza and saw a group of about a dozen to fifteen riot police line up backs to the side wall of the plaza facing towards the now taunting drunken mob that was amongst the tables about twenty five yards away . They stood there for several minutes and at one point they backed up a bit and the mob started taunting them and waving them away as if they were taunting them for being  too afraid to intervene. That set it off, the police quickly began to form a tight wedge and by this point it was obvious that everything was about to go very wrong. I again grabbed my wife and we back away another thirty feet so we were just about 20 yards away from a corner exit from the plaza and a good 50 yards away from what was going on. I could no believe how many of our fans were still oblivious to what was about to happen. They were either sitting at tables on both side or standing out in the plaza just yards from the drunken mob watching the spectacle. The wedge of police began to advance through some of the empty tables and then someone in the mob threw something, it looked like a beer glass but I cannot be sure , whatever it was it flew towards the riot police and I heard it smash on the cobblestones. The wedge of police charged and all hell broke loose. A chair flew through the air , tables flew everywhere and the police tore into the group of taunting fans, who all almost immediately ran away from what I could see and the police just waded into anyone who was nearby regardless of whether they were involved in the real disturbance. Chairs and tables went everywhere and anyone who had stayed within a twenty  five yard radius of the loutish drunk group had no time to react before they were being beaten with batons. I saw about a dozen of the instigators and close hangers on race out the corner of the plaza nearest us that led to a long steep stone stairway with police in persuit . That was the last I saw as my wife and I hurried away. This would never have happened without a group of idiotic morons who got totally trashed on alcohol and who taunted the police . Sadly many fans who were doing nothing wrong except they were plain silly for not seeing what were obvious warning signs. I think it was a mixture of naievity and the train wreck syndrome where you cannot take you eyes off the accident about to happen . The result was that about 40 idiots who were completely drunk and out of control, caused mayhem and gave the riot police the reason to charge in. Many people who were attacked by the police were just onlookers who were easy targets for the riot police as the instigators pretty much all ran in the first few seconds. I hope the club get all the film footage and ban every one of the idiots who started this. I know from talking to people the next day as the plaza that many are well known for past problems and I hope the real fans help the club identify them and ban then for life. 

The Wednesday scenes would never have taken the turn they did without the Tuesday night events to put the police on edge. Wednesday the police had a clear plan to seal all six exits to the plaza the moment any trouble kicked off. 

Otherwise we had a wonderful time in Madrid, met many great City fans and enjoyed walking around a beautiful and friendly city. Even had the chance to meet and thank our wonderful owners near the Plaza Mayor Wednesday mid afternoon  where they were freely mingling with fans. We had tickets amongst the Athleti fans and we were not bothered at all and after the game a number high fived us and we're friendly and welcoming even though they were not happy with only the one goal. 

One other story that is worth highlighting because it speaks of the vast majority of our fans and the Athleti fans.Wednesday lunchtime we were back in Plaza Mayor and deliberately chose the far end of the Plaza from the previous nights trouble to have lunch. We were sitting at a table enjoying some paella and soaking in the sights with many City fans sitting around. A table full of our fans began singing Leicester songs and a group of Spanish girls broke in and began singing a long Athleti song in response. We all turned and watched and thought the girls were singing proudly it was clearly in fun and when the finished with a flourish the lead girl flipped us all the finger in defiance. All the city fans burst out laughing and gave her a loud round of applause. They lead girls bowed and went on their way. That's what I will remember from our time along with all the other great things we experienced. 

Great post - thank you.

32 minutes ago, FoxonMaui said:

Felt like it was a 'tl;dr' post, but seemed more interesting this post went on - decent recollection.

@Thracian, you've got competition now! :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

No doubt you are spot on.

The Spanish girl singing anecdote is fantastic.  

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 22:18, Firegrande said:

I've been all over Europe to games

Never seen any police hit any fans for no reason

just arrived back  and read your comment. I think you should maybe speak too my wife and two young boys about what Spanish police are capable of.

• Like 2

Sat here watching national Spanish tv RTVE and it had a section on football violence and in particular some of our morons in the square and it showed the video of the train buffet car theft and a caption they are asking uk police to find them. Total fools hope they regret it now!

12 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Haha sevilla started when someone threw a bottle at the police you ill educated moron.

Shame you didn't get a beating you little piss ant.

In the ground at Seville, it took a goal for the police to have a good baton session. 

I learnt my lesson after that and became fully aware of how the Policia work. To be fair, plenty of rival supporters had forewarned; regardless of nationality they will go for you if there's the smallest threat. 

I mentioned on here before the game; we've made a beeline for the back streets on these European trips and stay out of the way. As a result I had a great time in Madrid, I paid one visit to the Plaza Mayor noted Policia doing their pressure cooker tactic and left. Went around the districts; towards Atleti's ground on Wednesday and north of the centre on Thursday. It's a beautiful city and the locals were great with us but at first they could be a bit weary because of the 'hooligan stories'. Atleti fans were superb and unlike Seville, there was a warmer respect. I think the Berbaneu had half of Leicester visit it on Thursday. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mid devon loyal said:

just arrived back  and read your comment. I think you should maybe speak too my wife and two young boys about what Spanish police are capable of.

She's round mine tonight so i'll ask her. Cheers mate.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I was in Madrid. I saw what they were doing. By "hear about it" I meant who I was talking to about it today, I was speaking to a couple who got arrested.

There's no defending the way they were treated. They're absolute vermin in my eyes. No apology for what I said.

Well then your an idiot,enough said.

15 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Your wasting your breath,shown himself up for being a right pratt.Whatever the rights and wrongs ,and I am still struggling with the defending of our minority of morons,to wish policeman die is beyond any normal persons comprehension.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Incredible how many of those who support the police's conduct weren't there either because they weren't in Madrid and have just read stories in the press (with a very intentional angle) or they were in Madrid but not in the square because they "had the sense to leave" or drank elsewhere because they knew what was going to happen.

Same problem exists in both instances:

they weren't there to see first-hand and in-full what unfolded.

I got out just before it went really wrong but witnessed some pretty unacceptable behaviour from our fans and it really was not rocket science that the police were going to put up with only so much.The biggest shame was it was a minority spoiling it. The same people who were verging on unacceptable behaviour on Tuesday are in the videos of throwing chairs, flares, bottles on Wednesday.Lets hope retrospective action can be taken against them.

• Like 1

I had the best 2 days in Madrid. I wore normal warm weather clothes and spent next to no time in the Plaza Mayor, or drinking much. I kept well away from the dreaded Police. I think there is a reasonable correlation there.

I'm judging nobody, because I witnessed no incidents. However, this sort of thing is really, really easy to avoid. It is hardly a secret that their police barely need an excuse to become violent, so just be elsewhere. I don't really understand the absolute need to congregate en masse, other than in the ground.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

I don't really understand the absolute need to congregate en masse, other than in the ground.

Erm, it was part of the advice given to fans, they were told to go there.

The official advice was to 'congregate en masse' to travel to the ground.

Edited by Lako42
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

Paragraphs man. :blink:

2 hours ago, Ian S said:

Your wasting your breath,shown himself up for being a right pratt.Whatever the rights and wrongs ,and I am still struggling with the defending of our minority of morons,to wish policeman die is beyond any normal persons comprehension.

They battered innocents. They're indefensible, worthless creatures. Fvck them and anyone who defends them.

5 minutes ago, bluesbrothers said:

As usual, a small percentage of pillocks who were clearly there for trouble and probably couldn't even name the first team made us look fools abroad. The vast majority of Leicester fans were great, had a brilliant time and got along with the Atletico fans, but that isn't going to get the headlines.

Stop playing the victim. You went to the capital of a foreign country and tried to lord it, and you got beaten silly, and what's worse, you ended up getting a great number of honest fans caught in the crossfire. You'd be fuming if foreign fans came to Leicester and caused the sort of trouble I saw in the Plaza Mayor or in Sevilla a few weeks ago - it's downright hypocritical. You might have thought it was 'good fun' or 'banter', but all I saw was ignorant people doing what English tourists always do - getting sloshed and lobbing stuff around.

Some of the behaviour was frankly embarrassing. You're abroad - have a little respect for the country you're in, and at least attempt to learn a bit of the language. You'd expect the same of anybody coming here.

And no, there's no 'solidarity' amongst fans to be had here. These idiots need naming, shaming and keeping away from our club. Let them fight in a field in the middle of nowhere like those Russian Ultras do for all I care, just don't drag the rest of us into your stupid game. There were women and children cowering, crying and in some cases bloodied and bruised because you just had to make Leicester look 'Ard on the continent.

Overall though, incredible trip with lovely people on both sides. Bring on the return leg.

I was there in the melee, and the real reason the fans got rushed was that one absolute tw@ broke a chair in the Melee after Vardy's goal and refused to hand it over. His d1ckhead mates eventually handed it over but then tried to hide him, and they rightly went in to get him. That innocent fans, myself, my Dad and my Brother included, were caught up in it sucked big time, but the fault lay with those idiots trying to stop him getting kicked out. There was one arrest in the end - it was him. Luckily with a few words of Spanish we had a steward whom we had befriended (a Real Betis fan, so it turns out!) help us keep out of the worst of the melee, but my brother was an inch from getting a baton square in the shins. At the end, those melts who had caused all this trouble had the nerve to try and verbally abuse those same stewards that mediated and stopped a full brawl kicking off - and I had to be the guy to talk them down in broken Spanish and 9-pints English. It was stressful, ruined the last ten minutes of the game and almost entirely the fault of our fans.

I'm not gonna sit here and continue to hear the bullsh1t that the police rushing us in Sevilla in the ground was anything other than the fault of a small portion of our fans. No, the batons didn't "come out the moment Vardy scored" - they came out when Johnny English decided to get on his mate's shoulders with the broken seat as a trophy.

Try "Lo Siento". A little humility works wonders, lads.

Same drill in the Plaza Mayor - the "flashpoint" was that bellend letting off a flare and the "ard bois" throwing bottles at the Police, at which point they'd had enough and got the order to clear the square. Ultimately, yes, it was heavy handed, but what else were they going to do - go after the lobster-skinned cowards trying to blend into the "good" fans to avoid being caught like chair-boy in Sevilla?

That's how the Spanish po-po operate, and they did their job both times. Blame the scum who cause these scenes in the first place for any collateral damage to us honest fans. I'd just advise any Leicester fan going to anything like this in future, if by some miracle we get this again, to stay the hell away from these "fan zones" and have some chilled drinks on the nearby back streets.

RANT OVER

100 Montaditos mate, spoons of Spain

Top post and top boozers, we were in the one in Delicius district. Great staff and locals.