Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Gray - considering future

8 hours ago, FIF said:

Gray has shown more flashes of brilliance by age 20 than Mahrez. Mahrez made a lot of errors when he arrived (and still does).

So how much of Mahrez did you watch at age 20 then exactly to know that?

Looked lovely tonight, but more importantly he seemed more positive in his body language and work rate. If he plays like that most weeks he'll be a starter soon enough. Lets hope. 

Edit: meant lively but will leave the auto correct! 

Also anyone who says his attitude stinks because he wants to play is being naive. That's what we want. Shakespeare needs to man manage this. If we want to compete. Think about some of the stars that will bench warm at Man City. That's modern football. If he's annoyed it's because he doesn't believe he's going to get that chance and to be fair, he hasn't had many yet. 

2 hours ago, ronnup said:

Also anyone who says his attitude stinks because he wants to play is being naive. That's what we want. Shakespeare needs to man manage this. If we want to compete. Think about some of the stars that will bench warm at Man City. That's modern football. If he's annoyed it's because he doesn't believe he's going to get that chance and to be fair, he hasn't had many yet. 

He's had no end, he's just delivered nothing in them apart from a goal against Utd - The one shot in a thousand of his that isn't a drop goal... and a very good performance away at Derby in the cup when he came off the bench

Other than that, he's done absolutely nothing despite playing in many, many games, 30 something appearances last season alone

However, he does have age in his favour, he just needs to crack on..,. & take some of the many, many chances afforded to him

Demarai Gray’s future has also been on the agenda this week with the player’s representatives meeting director of football Jon Rudkin to discuss playing time. Shakespeare said the 21-year-old, who enjoyed a superb cameo as a substitute for Mahrez at the Pirelli Stadium, is very much in his thoughts.

‘His agents came in to have a meeting with the director of football, I wasn’t privy to that,’ said Shakespeare. ‘We’ve had conversations, myself and Dimi. It is well documented. We’ve spoken about trying to give him more game-time and we are both happy with that.

‘He made an impact against Burton and we needed that. When we are behind we need someone of Demarai’s ability to go past people and create things, and he can be pleased with his 30 minutes.’

6 minutes ago, cc_star said:

He's had no end, he's just delivered nothing in them apart from a goal against Utd - The one shot in a thousand of his that isn't a drop goal... and a very good performance away at Derby in the cup when he came off the bench

Other than that, he's done absolutely nothing despite playing in many, many games, 30 something appearances last season alone

However, he does have age in his favour, he just needs to crack on..,. & take some of the many, many chances afforded to him

He actually didn't do much worse than Mahrez did in his first full season for us. As we know, Mahrez kicked on in his second full season so why shouldn't we offer Gray the same oppertunity. 

I'm not comparing the two in terms of ability. I'm comparing them in people's perception of their ability as I'm sure you didn't claim that Mahrez offered " Absolutely nothing" in our great escape season... 

Screenshot_2017-07-31-22-18-11-1.png

2 hours ago, whitwickfox said:

absolutely agree with ronnup  rather have a player like gray who desperately wants to play than some one like king who is content to sit on the bench

That's how legends are made ?

How does it go?

Grays agent says to rudders... give gray more game time

And rudders says... but you get on the field based on merit.... if he can show shakey that he isnt a tactical dead end and does what shake tells him then why wouldn't shakey pick him.

Or does he say... err yes... you have made time to come and moan at me so i will instruct shakes to start him every game

He did ok last night. considering they were pushed back into the Box second half. I like the fact that he can go both ways inside and out. Needs to start getting his head up and picking out players instead of just firing it across the box.

Both him and Chilwell seem to have an understanding and work well together. 

Personally, I'd like to see us play with two wingers to stretch defenses. But I can't see us doing it.

1 minute ago, Clever Fox said:

He did ok last night. considering they were pushed back into the Box second half. I like the fact that he can go both ways inside and out. Needs to start getting his head up and picking out players instead of just firing it across the box.

Both him and Chilwell seem to have an understanding and work well together. 

Personally, I'd like to see us play with two wingers to stretch defenses. But I can't see us doing it.

Didn't he pick out Ulloa twice, Kingy and Musa once in his cameo? Thought his delivery yesterday looked far more calculated 

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Didn't he pick out Ulloa twice, Kingy and Musa once in his cameo? Thought his delivery yesterday looked far more calculated 

I'm not so sure, I think it was a case of we had so many in the box that he was likely to find someone.

I'm more referring to times when we have maybe only one in the box the composer to pick them out. 

He is doing better though.

15 hours ago, FIF said:

more than you.

It's been possible to watch every second of Gray's time here, unless you followed his teams around France, there is no way you could say the same about Mahrez, so it's total guess work.

He needs someone experienced, be it either player or manager, that can take him to one side and give him some recommendations that can help him in both his football career and personal life - in order to ensure that he's on track towards success and feeling good about himself etc.

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

Demarai Gray’s future has also been on the agenda this week with the player’s representatives meeting director of football Jon Rudkin to discuss playing time. Shakespeare said the 21-year-old, who enjoyed a superb cameo as a substitute for Mahrez at the Pirelli Stadium, is very much in his thoughts.

‘His agents came in to have a meeting with the director of football, I wasn’t privy to that,’ said Shakespeare. ‘We’ve had conversations, myself and Dimi. It is well documented. We’ve spoken about trying to give him more game-time and we are both happy with that.

‘He made an impact against Burton and we needed that. When we are behind we need someone of Demarai’s ability to go past people and create things, and he can be pleased with his 30 minutes.’

Jesus christ, sentences like this coupled with Stowell saying he'd be happy if we only create a couple of chances a game does not make me look forward to the kind of football these guys are hoping we dish up.

Crazy idea but how about trying to create things and score before the opposition take the lead?

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Jesus christ, sentences like this coupled with Stowell saying he'd be happy if we only create a couple of chances a game does not make me look forward to the kind of football these guys are hoping we dish up.

Crazy idea but how about trying to create things and score before the opposition take the lead?

Agreed. Why do we have to be behind, for us to consider having a player on the pitch to create things!

I hope I'm wrong, but I often wondered why Big Sam got Shakey involved in the England set-up, and whether it could be because they shared a similar philosophy, i.e. defensive set-up plus long ball/direct play. 

It's too early to judge Shakey of course, but I hope we are more adventurous in our play, than the signings and pre-season has suggested so far. 

3 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the player and his agents speaking with the DoF, but not the fella who picks the team every week. If it's about playing time, surely their beef is with Shakey.

I fully expect to see Dimi get a new contract after all of this :thumbup:.

6 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I'm not sure how I feel about the player and his agents speaking with the DoF, but not the fella who picks the team every week. If it's about playing time, surely their beef is with Shakey.

I fully expect to see Dimi get a new contract after all of this :thumbup:.

I assume it was about a contract, in which case you'd speak to the director of football.

At that point it's up to shakey and rudkin to have a chat and decide what's best. Well in my world of common sense that's what I'd assume makes sense.

Archived