Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Slimani

On 7/22/2017 at 06:28, EGBFitness said:

Slim is a limited player, his overall play he offers little to the team apart from holding up play but get the ball in the box to him especially in the air and 9 times out of 10 he will bag. 

We did get ripped off with his price tag last season but would definitely want to keep him here. With our style of play he isn't good enough to play as either a 9 or 10 from the start, 20/30 mins sub appearances should be his contribution - get the ball into the box when teams are sitting deep or used as a defender during set pieces. 

It is hard for me to understand this position. Even if Slim isn't scoring, he is a real threat, unlike Okazaki. Teams don't just have to keep an eye on him, they need to know where he is at all times and devote defenders to stopping him doing what he did yesterday. That opens up the attack for Leicester in a way Shinji simply doesn't, as that is fewer defenders to focus on Vardy, or Nacho, or Mahrez, or Gray, or whomever is out there. The difference in the Leicester attack when Slim would come on as a substitute was blindingly obvious. You could see the defense slide off throttling Mahrez and Vardy and spread out, allowing everyone the breathing room to play their game, and quality scoring chances were created as a consequence in games we were being suffocated by the opposing defense.

Now, I understand Slim did not score anywhere near the goals he should have. He flubbed his lines quite a bit, actually. But it is a small sample size, and he has a larger body of work that suggests failing to bury point blank attempts is not a problem that will continue. Let's stop with this Shinji as talisman mentality, he can play a role and has helped the team, but he doesn't score. I don't want to sell him, but I also don't want to play him over far more talented/skilled options. Yes, Shinji does a lot of dirty work, and he goes hard when he is out there. But he is a borderline Prem player at this point. I don't know how many Prem teams he would play for even as a sub. He deserves our respect, we should keep him and appreciate him, but the team needs more from the forward playing behind Vardy than what Shinji can give, period. Would love to see Vardy and Slim up top with Nacho playing as a No. 10 and Gray or even Mahrez out wide, just so we can see what it looks like to have a proper set of elite attacking players on the field at the same time. If we play that way against the weaker teams in the league, we'll go from draws to wins in short order, and start stacking points.

59 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Crikey, not at all.

Youve made far too much of the stats (clearly getting excited when you found them, hence the laughing face) without thinking the two players have played very different roles this season. It makes the stats pretty redundant.

You clearly rate Slimani and fair enough.

Ive long said, I'm yet to be convinced about his all-round game, but I'm torn. He could just as easily score 20 goals as 5 this season. I have no idea,.

you are right! rondon was leading the line while slim was mostly the played out of position as a supporting/second striker which makes slims numbers even more.

and i get why you are hesitant, he is unpredictible, he sometimes looks like a world beater and other times he looks like he is out of his depth.

oh well, lets hope whatever is the best for he club happens. be it slimani scoring 20 goals next season or kelechi putting the club in a position to push for a top 6 finish

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Crikey, not at all.

Youve made far too much of the stats (clearly getting excited when you found them, hence the laughing face) without thinking the two players have played very different roles this season. It makes the stats pretty redundant.

Ive long said, I'm yet to be convinced about his all-round game, but I'm torn. He could just as easily score 20 goals as 5 this season. I have no idea,.

I dont think it's his goal scoring ability you need to worry about. 

9 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Back with another two penneth!

Personal opinion of course, but I'll summarise  what I said earlier in this thread and in others.

Slimani is the 2nd best striker we have. I see sentimental thoughts of recent successes as the only real reason anyone can rate Ulloa/Okazaki more highly.

He, (Slimani), came here in far from perfect circumstances, which weren't of his own making.............Our record signing, (by some way), coming to a club  supporters: A), Were still on a 'high' from the events of the previous season, and B); Had seen their 'heroes' make a stuttering start to their titular defence!

He had a weight of expectation on his shoulders from day one, (as indeed do all  high fee strikers). Fans naturally, (though unrealistically), expect 'their' new forward to score virtually from 'day one'. I also felt, at the time he signed that, much like Musa, amongst the intrigue, there was a degree of hostility around towards the 'new boy' from certain supporters..... Again, I'd guess this was to do with loyal and fond thoughts of the title winning squad. "Don't want to see Leo/Shinji pushed out" !

Combine that with being thrust into a tactical system that he wasn't used to,and that was tailored to suit his strike partner. In the circumstances I think he did well, particularly in certain games. Certainly Burnley's defenders got an early view of what he's capable of, as did others during the season!!

Yes he sometimes appears limited, loses the ball with his first touch, probably too often, (but we've had plenty of strikers do that, as have all other teams). I don't understand the 'lazy' argument at all. He's languid true, but works hard for the team. He's not a bundle of energy like Shinji, but he's intelligent and occupies defenders. I've said before, and will reiterate. Play to his strengths and, much like Andy Carroll, he can be highly effective. Sadly, he'll probably always be our 'Plan B', as Vardy seems guaranteed to be 'Plan A'. But I still believe he's an effective 'weapon' for us, our current 2nd best striker with the potential of being number one!

BTW, even when Icheanacho finally arrives, I'd still consider that to be the case!

Feel the same way about him, except... have you seen the guys flick-ons?!!

:nigel:

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Crikey, not at all.

That's why you need statistical analysis. 

Kante signed thanks to stats. 

Vardy signed thanks to stats.  

Mahrez signed thanks to stats. 

Slimani signed thanks to stats. 

We lost the spine of our statistical analysis team because they were so good at analysing them. 

If i was slimanis mentor i would sit snd work thru what has been learnt in his first pl season.  Then devise a program to work on the things he needs.... strength... decision making... running into the box... shooting from the edge if the box... winning the ball in the air and laying it off....  linking with mids.. .laying off to wings etc.

His response to these issues will define his tragectory 

2 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

We lost the spine of our statistical analysis team because they were so good at analysing them. 

Stats are only a helping tool they don't tell the whole story, for that you have to actually see the player play.

For instance Defenders will very often let Forwards win the ball in the air in certain area's, knowing they cant do anything with it. Equally Forwards will run into positions to create space for others but they don't usually get noted.

I think Mendy had better stats the year we signed Kante. So maybe Mendy has a lot more to offer us.

But yes, Stats can point a Club towards a player if only to have a look.

6 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Stats are only a helping tool they don't tell the whole story, for that you have to actually see the player play.

For instance Defenders will very often let Forwards win the ball in the air in certain area's, knowing they cant do anything with it. Equally Forwards will run into positions to create space for others but they don't usually get noted.

I think Mendy had better stats the year we signed Kante. So maybe Mendy has a lot more to offer us.

And the stats will show that, the skill is in the analysis. 

34 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

And the stats will show that, the skill is in the analysis. 

Stats don't usually show what player's do off the Ball. Only when they've actually touched it.

You still have to see them perform and make a judgement call as to if they're what you need.

But they do have a place in the modern game, No question.

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

If i was slimanis mentor i would sit snd work thru what has been learnt in his first pl season.  Then devise a program to work on the things he needs.... strength... decision making... running into the box... shooting from the edge if the box... winning the ball in the air and laying it off....  linking with mids.. .laying off to wings etc.

...And to tell him how to tie his boot laces?

He's 29 with European and international pedigree.  You can't coach him like he's 14. 

We overpaid for Slim by 50% due to our comedy transfer window summer 2016.  That's not Slim's fault.  He's not pretty but I think he has plenty of goals in him.

39 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Stats don't usually show what player's do off the Ball. Only when they've actually touched it.

You still have to see them perform and make a judgement call as to if they're what you need.

But they do have a place in the modern game, No question.

Players are tracked all over the pitch (how do you think they arrive at heat maps and distance run stats). Runs off the ball are studied both offensively and defensively (so I'm afraid I completely disagree with your point )

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Only in passing, nothing else.

4 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

Slimani wasn't signed from stats he was definitely not a Walsh recommendation.

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Good you're not his mentor then, he'd to learn again what he's already good at.

His real weakness is his first touch, which can be let's say it gently... lacking. You could add the shooting technique which could be really improved. As for the flicks on, no comment.

9 minutes ago, Lcfcwigstonblue said:

Slimani wasn't signed from stats he was definitely not a Walsh recommendation.

Ahem. Taken from the Telegraph after his home debut against Burnley. 

"The Algeria international was scouted by Leicester for two years – after being recommended by former head of recruitment Steve Walsh – before a protracted deal was finally agreed with Sporting Lisbon the day before the transfer deadline."

9 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Good you're not his mentor then, he'd to learn again what he's already good at.

His real weakness is his first touch, which can be let's say it gently... lacking. You could add the shooting technique which could be really improved. As for the flicks on, no comment.

lol The guy doesn't know a flick-on from a flick-off

Reality is that Slimani isn't going to displace Vardy from the side. That means he is competing Shinji to start behind him. I was excited when we first signed him because we were told he works hard like Shinji but he absolutely doesn't, half the time he lumbers around the pitch without any of the intelligence Shinji plays with with his pressing and link up play. Once Kelechi is over the line we have someone who can play with Vardy with real pace and skill. Even when he comes off the bench he doesn't have a gung ho bastard whirlwind type effect for 30 minutes like Leo usually does.

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Reality is that Slimani isn't going to displace Vardy from the side. That means he is competing Shinji to start behind him. I was excited when we first signed him because we were told he works hard like Shinji but he absolutely doesn't, half the time he lumbers around the pitch without any of the intelligence Shinji plays with with his pressing and link up play. Once Kelechi is over the line we have someone who can play with Vardy with real pace and skill. Even when he comes off the bench he doesn't have a gung ho bastard whirlwind type effect for 30 minutes like Leo usually does.

lol.

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Ulloa gung ho whirlwind? He's done nothing of the sort has he?

For me it's a matter of making things happen, whether it's by luck or design things tend to happen with Slim on the pitch. Whether it be goals, assists, chances created or chances missed. He has his faults, but I'd rather have someone like that, who might make mistakes, might have the odd poor touch or miss over beige players like King and Ulloa.

23 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I wonder if this was a troll.

Think people are too confident of having Vardy/Iheanacho being able to start and finish 38+ games.

I agree that Slimani will be behind both of those most likely, but I'd much prefer having Slimani as an option if Vardy gets a 2 month injury lay-off etc, than Ulloa or Okazaki. 

Slimani is a natural goal scorer and fully fit, he will score goals for us. What a great option to have, either from the bench or starting if Vardy can't.

We may very well get to January and he has had hardly any game time and wants to move on, or Vardy may have picked up injuries, dropped off in form and Slimani has stepped in and done more of what we have already seen, and score us goals. 

I'd much prefer to keep him for now and if we are truly ambitious, we need players of Slimani's quality in our squad, even if they aren't our no.1 choice. 

Ambition guys! Lets have a squad full of genuine quality, rather than a starting 11 and then squad fillers.

Archived