Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tony1784

Troy Deeney

7 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Deeney is no better than slimani so what's the point swapping and making a loss when slimani will probably do better than deeney next season anyway

Because Deeney is going to give you that physical presence up front and opposition defence a battle, Slimani hasn't shown any such qualities. He's shown to be a half decent poacher for us but the concern is how does a guy with so much height still fail to challenge for any ball outside of the box? He rarely challenges for headers let alone wins them, and hasn't provided much in hold up play. What we have seen of him in the box has been decent, especially when we have Albrighton delivering crosses to him but Deeney could offer the same service and added qualities for me.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

I agree about with the point about his hold up play but then maybe Slimani wasn't expecting the English defenders to be so physical - in champions league and Portugal his hold up play looked quite decent so hopefully improves next season 

Exactly, We have to hope that his first year in England showed him what he needs to work on, as with a lot of international players, their first season is a bit underwhelming due to the pace and intensity of the Prem. Can see this year Slim will hopefully kick on.

2 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Because Deeney is going to give you that physical presence up front and opposition defence a battle, Slimani hasn't shown any such qualities. He's shown to be a half decent poacher for us but the concern is how does a go with so much height still fail to challenge for any ball outside of the box? He rarely challenges for headers let alone wins them, and hasn't provided much in hold up play. What we have seen of him in the box has been decent, especially when we have Albrighton delivering crosses to him but Deeney could offer the same service and added qualities for me.

I think you're right with this. Slimani for me is an out and out number 9 and has been asked to play an unfamiliar role. He's definitely got something for me but we're not utilising it.

Err whilst I know this is FT but this err link to Deeney... what is it exactly? We have 6 pages on the basis that his odds at the bookies are shortening but no other credible ish sources? Or have I missed a link somewhere?

Rather chance on Slimani for half a season than Deeney.

Reckon with a bit more knowledge of the English language and a deflating end to the season might lower a few egos and allow Slimani to integrate more with the squad and develop a better understanding with his teammates.

Deeney however is starting to look like his career is on a downward trajectory and the transfer fee and wages won't be worth it.

59 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I just don't think Slim has the appetite for the physicality of PL football. I don't see that changing. He's a show pony. Deeney is a work-horse and would add way more to our  team. 

Was a workhorse, from what Watford fans are saying.

I really don't think we need another striker.  What we need is a goal scoring midfielder.

Slim will come good this season.  He could get 15+ goals.  Vardy the same.  If Mahrez leaves and Gray lives up to his own hype, he could get 10.  Get another midfielder capable of 10 goals and then 10 from defence/Albrighton/Ndidi, then all of a sudden we have 60+ goals which equals a VERY good season.

I just don't see Deeney bringing much more to the party.  Good money that could be spent better elsewhere imo.

6 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I really don't think we need another striker.  What we need is a goal scoring midfielder.

Slim will come good this season.  He could get 15+ goals.  Vardy the same.  If Mahrez leaves and Gray lives up to his own hype, he could get 10.  Get another midfielder capable of 10 goals and then 10 from defence/Albrighton/Ndidi, then all of a sudden we have 60+ goals which equals a VERY good season.

I just don't see Deeney bringing much more to the party.  Good money that could be spent better elsewhere imo.

Of course we need another striker, we can't rely on Vardy to get 15-20 goals a season and ask the others to get 10 between them.

What if Vardy gets injured? I'm not having Slimani leading our line thank you very much.

We need a bloody goalscorer, someone who we're confident is capable of getting 15 goals at the very least. Neither Slimani or Deeney fill me with that confidence.

Deeney has been at Watford forever and I reckon he would relish (no food gags, please) a new challenge with a team that plays in our style. He has a good footballing brain - can lay on chances and score himself - and doesn't have that 'look at me- i'm the main man' demeanor like Iheanacho.

Less than 20 mill?  Sign him up!!!

38 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Gray won't get 10 league goals ffs 

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I would rather give Slimani one more season to see what he can do, then sign Deeney.

We've been waiting to sign Deeney for ages and he seems to be getting worse. And looks like he's struggling with weight issues. Slim over fat for me too this season. 

Archived