Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

More confident now than I was, although the decision to go 442 after we'd just saved ourselves from a pummelling playing that syste, 3-2 up was baffling. Was always a poor shout but we looked good going forward and if we can learn to defend crosses we could have a great season. 

I agree his final substitution wasn't right today. But emotions aside, let's put it into context. We had a go. Remember the last time we played Arsenal and our downright negative tactics meant we never threatened them and lost with a whimper. Today was a massive improvement in that respect.

We were 7 minutes from winning this game. Last season, we would have been hammered. Had we held on, people would be serenading Shakey as a tactical genius.

Our defense definitely needs work on but it's our first game of the season away to one of the biggest teams in the league.

There are plenty of positives still and we are heading in the right direction! 

Too many Sky interviews for me - he should be in the dressing room. Personally I think he is out of his depth. He loves the camera. He reminds me of McClaren. I think his subs tonight were weak. Oh - and what is Appleton? - if I was Mahrez and saw that, I'd want out ASAP.

It's rare that I feel negative about a manager early doors. (On the plus side - I had moments when I felt like this about Pearson)

Rant over - I'll change my mind tomorrow, when I'm sober and happy,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trabuch said:

Too many Sky interviews for me - he should be in the dressing room. Personally I think he is out of his depth. He loves the camera. He reminds me of McClaren. I think his subs tonight were weak. Oh - and what is Appleton? - if I was Mahrez and saw that, I'd want out ASAP.

It's rare that I feel negative about a manager early doors. (On the plus side - I had moments when I felt like this about Pearson)

Rant over - I'll change my mind tomorrow, when I'm sober and happy,

Yeah, you're clearly not sober lol

Shakey hates doing media and was late to his post match interviews because he was busy speaking to the lads in the dressing room.

Appleton could probably carry Mahrez under one arm to hide him somewhere. It'd be much more effective than Vichai's ear pulling.

2 hours ago, TK95 said:

I agree his final substitution wasn't right today. But emotions aside, let's put it into context. We had a go. Remember the last time we played Arsenal and our downright negative tactics meant we never threatened them and lost with a whimper. Today was a massive improvement in that respect.

We were 7 minutes from winning this game. Last season, we would have been hammered. Had we held on, people would be serenading Shakey as a tactical genius.

Our defense definitely needs work on but it's our first game of the season away to one of the biggest teams in the league.

There are plenty of positives still and we are heading in the right direction! 

Having a go doesn't get you points. I could "have a go" at Anthony Joshua, needless to say, wouldn't work. 

• Like 1

I just can't work out that Iheanacho sub. It felt like shoehorning him into the side. Maybe he thought he'd kill them off once and for all but taking James off knackered the foundations to our game plan.

Said it elsewhere but we missed Iborra. He'd have 100% come on in this game if he was fit.

There were a lot of positives tonight but he's got a lot of the blame to take for that one I'm afraid.

• Like 2

I personally think he's the right person for the job if he can get a couple more players in another def and a cam and sort this transfer situation out with mahrez we'll be ok. We looked very good going forward last night and the things I'm taking from it are.

*maguire looked brilliant I was impressed with him last night.

*Vardys off the mark and looks dangerous.

* I thought Matty James had a decent game so good to see him back in a city shirt after being out so long.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dobbylcfc said:

I personally think he's the right person for the job if he can get a couple more players in another def and a cam and sort this transfer situation out with mahrez we'll be ok. We looked very good going forward last night and the things I'm taking from it are.

* I thought Matty James had a decent game so good to see him back in a city shirt after being out so long.

It's the typical FT way to say that a certain player 'looked brilliant' after one game.

I like Maguire. I like his strength and his attitude.

But last night, our defending (WITH Maguire at CB) was miles off 'brilliant'. We conceded 4. Ramsey's goal was ridiculous..he was left on his own, and the winner saw Giroud out muscling Harry.

This isn't 'brilliant'. Brilliant is keeping a clean sheet and putting in a defensive display that is controlled, composed and safe.

I suspect very strongly that Maguire, if asked, would disagree entirely with all the nonsense on here. He would know he made errors last night and that our defence needs a big shake up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dobbylcfc said:

To me James did a disciplined covering of space but rarely won the ball and delivered anything constructive. We were wanting in central midfield all night. Our passing went from middling to poor as the game wore on. 

I would be more happier with him if 

I thought he was making efforts to sort the defence. Maguire fab signing, but not enough.. watched their first goal several times now and Wes was comical.. This will continue to happen until things are changed.

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just can't work out that Iheanacho sub. It felt like shoehorning him into the side. Maybe he thought he'd kill them off once and for all but taking James off knackered the foundations to our game plan.

Said it elsewhere but we missed Iborra. He'd have 100% come on in this game if he was fit.

There were a lot of positives tonight but he's got a lot of the blame to take for that one I'm afraid.

We said this leaving the game, but that said Iheanacho's sub had no impact on 3 players being left unmarked on the back post (haven't watched back to see who lost them). While it was the wrong sub I don't think it was the cause of the goal that unravelled us.

I suggested an alternative where if James couldn't play 90 minutes he brought on King - same goal could easily have happened then Shakespeare would've been ranted at for having Amartey/King in CM, can't win but at least he was positive

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It's the typical FT way to say that a certain player 'looked brilliant' after one game.

But last night, our defending (WITH Maguire at CB) was miles off 'brilliant'. We conceded 4. Ramsey's goal was ridiculous..he was left on his own, and the winner saw Giroud out muscling Harry.

This isn't 'brilliant'. Brilliant is keeping a clean sheet and putting in a defensive display that is controlled, composed and safe.

I suspect very strongly that Maguire, if asked, would disagree entirely with all the nonsense on here. He would know he made errors last night and that our defence needs a big shake up. 

He says as much in the interview on lcfc. He knows he ****ed up, he knows that all the defence ****ed up, but he wants to make it right, so fair play... we'll see how he gets on over the next few games.

Edited by blabyboy

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

It was brilliant, this is the way we need to play, we will win way more games with this style... 

The defence all round last night was poor for conceding 4, but Maguire look the most solid of the lot. Bearing in mind he was the least experienced in that back 4.

Morgan and Fuchs both poor yesterday for me. When you have two players either side of you having shite games it's going to have an effect. 

Shakey made the wrong changes at crucial times last night. Which might have showed some inexperience on his part but the performance was positive overall.

If we can sort out that halfs last 45-50 minutes and not 35-44 then we'll be fine. We lacked concentration when it was most needed and if our defence keep doing that we'll suffer for it.

7 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

It was brilliant, this is the way we need to play, we will win way more games with this style... 

It was brilliant attacking play, but it was school boy level defending. Lot of sides won't be as ruthless as arsenal, but it was abysmal on our part for the third and fourth, and Shakespeare has to shoulder the blame for part of that, for his subs. NOT because he brought Amartey on specifically (despite what some tools will say) but because he switched from two to three, then back to two in CM within the space of ten or so minutes. What did that serve except to destabilise us a bit and open them up to put more pressure on us?

58 minutes ago, Sammy said:

We said this leaving the game, but that said Iheanacho's sub had no impact on 3 players being left unmarked on the back post (haven't watched back to see who lost them). While it was the wrong sub I don't think it was the cause of the goal that unravelled us.

have a look.. seems to be Ndidi and Maguire were pulled over to the right... (after 6:24)

...on the plus side, Wenger's face at 2:54 needs to be a poster..  :D

Edited by blabyboy
changed video link as previous was pulled.

6 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

It was brilliant attacking play, but it was school boy level defending. Lot of sides won't be as ruthless as arsenal, but it was abysmal on our part for the third and fourth, and Shakespeare has to shoulder the blame for part of that, for his subs. NOT because he brought Amartey on specifically (despite what some tools will say) but because he switched from two to three, then back to two in CM within the space of ten or so minutes. What did that serve except to destabilise us a bit and open them up to put more pressure on us?

I havent seen any "tools" complain about Amertey personally. That we took Okazaki off to replace him with a CM is the main issue. That he chose Amertey specifically shows how truly vague the sub was, Amartey being a vaguely defensive player

I'm happy with the way we set up originally and the style he clearly wants us to play. Pressing from the front is what we're best at, there's no team better in the league at it. However he has to take some responsibility for his poor decisions. We were winning against Arsenal in the 82nd minute, you don't bring on a striker for a midfielder in those circumstances, it was very niave but I'm sure he'll learn from it. If he keeps us playing like that all season we'll have a good one.