Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

So the lockdown hasn't resulted in a reduction of infections and deaths here and in other countries, then? What do you think would have happened without it? Have you been watching the news over the last 3 months?

Ignorance is not a virtue, I'm afraid.

It's not been great in terms of some people not adhering to the guidance and gathering in public places or, more recently, mass protests around BLM. The majority of people in all countries have been respectful of the demands placed on them but there will always be those who will rebel/ignore/do what the **** they like regardless of others.

It is not a complete failure.

It has reduced the infections, but we've now learned that this virus wasn't as serious as once claimed. The government figures were wrong and now we're sitting back while our economy goes into the shitter and our standard of living will be affected for most likely decades. 

• Like 1

We've still got nearly half a million dead. I suppose that's not that serious. 

Who knows how the virus would have faired if we all carried on as normal? Hand washing reduced it a lot but there's no doubt in my mind that constant contact with other people would have seen even more infections and deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/06/2020 at 20:43, Carl the Llama said:

Ability to quote old game show lines while you wave your arms around like a deaf interpreter does not make you interesting.

Do they wave their arms higherrrrrr.... or lowerrrrrr?

Interesting post Carl, it's good.... but it's not right.

Sorry if I'm gabbling on but I've started so I'll finish.

I'm sorry Carl, you are the weakest link, goodbye.

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Who knows how the virus would have faired if we all carried on as normal? Hand washing reduced it a lot but there's no doubt in my mind that constant contact with other people would have seen even more infections and deaths. 

Also important to note, a lot of deaths classed as covid deaths are just based on symptoms rather than a smoking gun positive test. And the lists of symptoms is endless, I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken any precautions but it's clear we all got caught up in the hysteria and we're going to pay the price in the next years to come. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

Compared to the Spanish Flu that's ****ing amazing so far. 

The current intellectual property laws on most of the world are a sad unethical joke that actually do very little to help the "little guy" that they were originally designed to help.

Additionally, having so many different streaming services that don't actually offer the same product is a cartel, not competition. The consumer is being taken for a ride.

And to link those two things...as a result, digital piracy/unauthorised use of IP is not only going to be always prevalent as things are, but it's actually occasionally ethical if it's a means to seeing those laws delegitimised and then changed.

(I say that as a hardcore advocate for jury nullification, though.)

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Do they wave their arms higherrrrrr.... or lowerrrrrr?

Interesting post Carl, it's good.... but it's not right.

Sorry if I'm gabbling on but I've started so I'll finish.

I'm sorry Carl, you are the weakest link, goodbye.

QED

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

The current intellectual property laws on most of the world are a sad unethical joke that actually do very little to help the "little guy" that they were originally designed to help.

Additionally, having so many different streaming services that don't actually offer the same product is a cartel, not competition. The consumer is being taken for a ride.

And to link those two things...as a result, digital piracy/unauthorised use of IP is not only going to be always prevalent as things are, but it's actually occasionally ethical if it's a means to seeing those laws delegitimised and then changed.

(I say that as a hardcore advocate for jury nullification, though.)

Also love how a lot of major company ensure employee contracts basically hand over the IP of any inventions etc whilst the employee is working for them, even if created outside working hours.

20 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Also love how a lot of major company ensure employee contracts basically hand over the IP of any inventions etc whilst the employee is working for them, even if created outside working hours.

That is exactly what I mean about those laws behind no longer fit for purpose, or one part of it, anyway.

Cost them as much money as possible in whatever way possible until those laws are changed, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Unpopular opinion but why do these parents need their kids feeding in the summer? Have their benefits gone down because of the virus? It's not like they've lost their jobs as most of them wont even have jobs. Presumably next summer they wont get the free dinners. 

Ive got a few "council estate" crowd on my facebook and all of them seem that these people dont even need it and that if they werent wasting money on fags and cheap alcohol they wouldnt be struggling to feed their kids. Obviously there is a counter argument to that in which should kids suffer because of their parents being shit and the answer is probably not. Still a little food for thought. 

This feels like rocky ground, and its important to not be sold by outliers advertised as tabloid exclusives. I have no doubt there are those people who put themselves before their children (Top tip, keep it in your pants), but on the whole, I imagine most people who benefit would be in need

• Like 1

After listening to the Totally Football Show podcasts covering the past couple of decades of the Champions League over lockdown, and playing CM 01/02 at the start of lockdown, I would love to see the Champions League reintroduce the second group stage. Would have been great to get 6 guaranteed away days, assuming you qualify from the first group stage, and then the potential for more in the knockout stages. Probably give the bigger clubs even more advantage, but it's not as though they're struggling as it is.

Europa League can become straight knockout again too. 

Guest ttfn
1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

After listening to the Totally Football Show podcasts covering the past couple of decades of the Champions League over lockdown, and playing CM 01/02 at the start of lockdown, I would love to see the Champions League reintroduce the second group stage. Would have been great to get 6 guaranteed away days, assuming you qualify from the first group stage, and then the potential for more in the knockout stages. Probably give the bigger clubs even more advantage, but it's not as though they're struggling as it is.

Europa League can become straight knockout again too. 

If the last 8 format they’re introducing this year is a success I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come back. 

2 group stages followed by a mini tournament somewhere. Would ensure a minimum of 12 games for the super clubs where at the moment you only get 12 games if you get to the semi finals.

The sad thing is that this might well work in everybody’s interests to stave off a European super league.

6 hours ago, ttfn said:

If the last 8 format they’re introducing this year is a success I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come back. 

2 group stages followed by a mini tournament somewhere. Would ensure a minimum of 12 games for the super clubs where at the moment you only get 12 games if you get to the semi finals.

The sad thing is that this might well work in everybody’s interests to stave off a European super league.

Could you imagine this when fans are allowed in? Two weeks of fans on the piss watching their club in the Portuguese sun. What could go wrong.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Not sure if this is going to be that unpopular but I think BT Sport's football coverage is vastly superior to Sky's.

Nah, Jake Humphreys is a massive bellend.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

Not sure if this is going to be that unpopular but I think BT Sport's football coverage is vastly superior to Sky's.

It’s ok but jake humprey is a right twat and I can’t believe they employ him 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The co-commentators are particularly shite on BT. 

Bloody agree there. 

There was a few good posts on this yesterday (I think @Finnegan posted a particularly good one), that in football we get ex-pros who generally pander to the thick buggers that watch football and don't actually explain aspects such as tactics or movement of a player. In contrast to sports such as cricket, where the commentators explain why captains/bowlers/batters are doing certain things and what they were aiming to do.

To be fair, Roy Keane was great value at half-time when criticising De Gea, Shaw and Maguire last night.

But generally speaking, I do like Rio Ferdinand, Peter Crouch, James Horncastle, Andy Brassell, Rafa Honigstein and Jules Breach, to name a few, and, yes, I do quite like Jake Humphrey too.

Yes, they do have Michael Owen, Steve McManaman and Glen Hoddle in the negative column. But I just get bored to tears by the likes of Neville and Carragher on Sky, and Martin 'AND IT'S LIVE!' Tyler can get in the bin.

I just prefer the all-round package om BT, I think the aesthetics (set design, etc.) are better too. Sky just looks tired and same old, same old to me :dunno: