Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

7 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

That Change.org is, 9/10, for people who

• don`t fully believe in democracy and the voting process specifically
  • want their own way all the time
  • have a reactionary view on things

Even as a liberal like myself waste of bandwidth. Gets enough signatures - gets heard in the Commons, gets knocked back. 

You'd be better positioned to write a letter/e-mail to your MP

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Even as a liberal like myself waste of bandwidth. Gets enough signatures - gets heard in the Commons, gets knocked back. 

Exactly. There already exists a known process for such issues. 

15 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You may be confusing likes of Change.Org with the official government petition that would get heard in Commons if they reach 100k signatures etc.  

To be fair,  the petition starters for likes of Change Org or Ninety Degrees etc usually do that as well.   The main use for these petitions is mainly about making more people aware of the campaign and mobilising any movements to take campaign actions-  MP/Decision Makers would be far more swayed if they see amount of supporters behind a campaign.  I have seen numerous petitions being successful and that is down to the hard work of the petition starter and the team-  liaising/lobbying organisations,  sending out updates,  linking in with MPs and organising the movements.  I am not looking to sensationalise this but I think your and @Dahnsouff's (I can appreciate that Dahnsouff did mention that there are some exemptions in his assertion although) reaction is bit shitty to be honest and would may put others reading this from signing these petitions. 

Edited by The Blur

23 minutes ago, The Blur said:

You may be confusing likes of Change.Org with the official government petition that would get heard in Commons if they reach 100k signatures etc.  

To be fair,  the petition starters for likes of Change Org or Ninety Degrees etc usually do that as well.   The main use for these petitions is mainly about making more people aware of the campaign and mobilising any movements to take campaign actions-  MP/Decision Makers would be far more swayed if they see amount of supporters behind a campaign.  I have seen numerous petitions being successful and that is down to the hard work of the petition starter and the team-  liaising/lobbying organisations,  sending out updates,  linking in with MPs and organising the movements.  I am not looking to sensationalise this but I think your and @Dahnsouff's (I can appreciate that Dahnsouff did mention that there are some exemptions in his assertion although) reaction is bit shitty to be honest and would may put others reading this from signing these petitions. 

It is a fair response, and whilst I do recognise that there are many good petition's begun on such platforms, I have a wariness of the rate and recency of some of the them. I do not feel it should be a de facto response to a situation within the world that contains perceived injustice, or even worse, contrary opinions. These are all of course my only personal opinions, and should be treated as no more than that, but too me, I have concerns that such a platform replaces the need for critical thinking in lieu of outrage based judgements and associated herd conformity.

47 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It is a fair response, and whilst I do recognise that there are many good petition's begun on such platforms, I have a wariness of the rate and recency of some of the them. I do not feel it should be a de facto response to a situation within the world that contains perceived injustice, or even worse, contrary opinions. These are all of course my only personal opinions, and should be treated as no more than that, but too me, I have concerns that such a platform replaces the need for critical thinking in lieu of outrage based judgements and associated herd conformity.

That is fair enough-  I think I generally came across well organised petitions mostly via emails by the platforms as evidently they would be likely to promote well led and reasonable causes instead of poorly thought or led campaigns which I suspect you may have more exposure to than me.    I do agree some petitions are really a kneejerker.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Noel Edmonds isn't a venerable entertainer, he's a goaty little con man. 

He managed to con people that opening boxes was entertaining for ten years.

Fair play for that.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Tell me more. 

He firmly believes his dead parents follow him around as orbs of light that only he can see. 

"Edmonds said: 'Orbs are little bundles of positive energy and they can move between 500 and 1,000 miles per hour.

'They look like little round planets but they come in all shapes and sizes. Conventional photography can't pick them up but digital cameras can.

'My belief is that these are something to do with some form of positive energy and, possibly because I miss my parents like mad, I like to think they are them.

'I've got loads of photographs of me at home with two orbs that visit me."

Edited by The Bear

Tony Timpa, arrested in Dallas, held down by police with a knee in his back until he passed out and died.  Zero fvcks given by anyone.  Tony Timpa was white.

Is America's problem an issue of police brutality rather than racism?   

It's both. But when the two clash it creates bigger waves. George Floyd was just a tipping point for black people. 

The Tony Timpa story probably had plenty of coverage but the national outrage wasn't there because white people haven't been systemically abused for generations. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, murphy said:

Tony Timpa, arrested in Dallas, held down by police with a knee in his back until he passed out and died.  Zero fvcks given by anyone.  Tony Timpa was white.

Is America's problem an issue of police brutality rather than racism?   

9 minutes ago, The Bear said:

It's both. But when the two clash it creates bigger waves. George Floyd was just a tipping point for black people. 

The Tony Timpa story probably had plenty of coverage but the national outrage wasn't there because white people haven't been systemically abused for generations. 

The bolded is the key point.

Yes, police brutality is a problem across the board in the US, but it's a statistical fact that black people suffer significantly more of it proportionally than white or Hispanic people. And they have done for a long time. The vast majority of the time, when white people suffer police brutality, it's not because they are white - the same cannot be said in reverse.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I read a stat last week that black people are 6 times more likely to be killed by the police than any other ethnicity. And that's before you scratch the surface of profiling and violent arrest. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/18/theres-overwhelming-evidence-that-the-criminal-justice-system-is-racist-heres-the-proof/

This article lays out the whole thing very well. Sources and all.

18 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

People care more about how they look on social media and care more about looking like they’re doing the right thing, than actually doing the right thing.

I reckon about 95% of the population realise this. Not such an unpopular opinion. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

That article seems to be behind a paywall but I'd like to read it if you don't mind pasting it please