Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

10 hours ago, Bilo said:

Six teams from CONCACAF is insane. USA, Mexico and Costa Rica are fair enough, but you'll get dross like Panama, El Salvador and Curaçao turning up as well to get slapped by moderate European teams.

You would expect, say, the Republic of Ireland to destroy El Salvador. For that reason, it'd be a better spectacle for teams like Scotland, Norway and Turkey to be there than Iraq, Burkina Faso and Canada. With the best will in the world, the World Cup is not the Olympic Games where those watching will applaud a plucky amateur carrying on gamely despite getting absolutely annihilated. 

Oyyeee piss off! Who the fook wants to see Scotland in the world cup? It's hard enough watching England choke time and time again. England needs to sit out a few world cups, they are a fake orgasm.

As much as i love the homeland, Canada is my other home and we have plenty of talent here.  Untapped market.  Some ways to go (to get to world class) but I'm tired of the same old. The world is so much bigger now and its great to inspire youth in not so cool football countries like Canada. If making it to the world cup is too much then fair play but i'd like to see another world cup for us shit countries to play in with fantastic referring by guatemalans and the horrendous tackles by central american teams in general.  It really does make you miss the good old days of tackling/diving (until you catch a game haha).

18 hours ago, Bilo said:

Euro 2016 was crap until the quarterfinals. Portugal qualifying from their group with three draws and going on to win it just underlines your point, and teams like Hungary and Albania just weren't good enough to be there. Finland probably won't do much better next year. 

Getting to the World Cup, 32 teams does provide the perfect format but there's still a lot of dross. Panama had no place being there in 2018 and were probably on a par with Montenegro or Belarus. Short of having more teams from Europe or South America, which FIFA would never countenance, it's difficult to see how they can sort it.

48 teams will be awful - a group game between Slovenia and Thailand isn't going to do anything to enhance the quality of the tournament and add more pointless filler before France tonk Kenya 7-0.

3 team groups in 2026. It's nothing short of disgraceful how this has gotten the go ahead. This'll ruin the World Cup even more than sending it to places like Qatar.

Panama were absolute dog shit but USA basically gifted it to them. I think the current format is bang on personally, I think it's just about the right balance between quality and variety.

16 for the Euros, 32 for the World Cup. They're both bang on. But nope - they have to have quantity over quality now.

Euro 2016 was the shambles it deserved to be. A certain irony that Platini's country lost the final at home to a side who barely won a game.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bilo said:

Group stages I like, but there was something off about a tournament that had Panama in it and not Italy. If you must expand it, have European sides. Scotland would be more welcome than some of these sides. 

steady.... i wouldn't go that far

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

3 team groups in 2026. It's nothing short of disgraceful how this has gotten the go ahead. This'll ruin the World Cup even more than sending it to places like Qatar.

Panama were absolute dog shit but USA basically gifted it to them. I think the current format is bang on personally, I think it's just about the right balance between quality and variety.

16 for the Euros, 32 for the World Cup. They're both bang on. But nope - they have to have quantity over quality now.

Euro 2016 was the shambles it deserved to be. A certain irony that Platini's country lost the final at home to a side who barely won a game.

I wouldn't even feel so bad about it if they changed the format or had more European or South American teams in it - some of the AFC and CONCACAF sides would get nowhere near qualifying in a UEFA standard group.

Japan and South Korea probably view trips to Saudi Arabia and Iran in much the same way we view qualifiers in Paris or Berlin, and that's before we start talking about home games against Hong Kong or Indonesia.

It might not please the 'world game' ethos of FIFA, but a European side who've just missed out are almost certainly better than an Asian side who've scraped through. 

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Marshall's come out with an incredible amount of crap lately.

Yes I've muted him on twitter as I keep seeing Katie flipping Hopkins on my timeline.

9 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Ian Marshall being hot on Katie Hopkins work should not go unnoticed by the club in regards to his ambassadorial work.

Hope the club stop him working for them. They don't want to be linked in anyway to katie Hopkins or some of the other tweets on his page.

I won't be shaking him by the hand the next time I see him, even if he did score one of my all time favourite goals.

Edited by hackneyfox

Early last year I was almost certain Ian Marshall’s twitter account was a parody. I saw him in the Banks lounge before a game so asked him if it was. Unfortunately it isn’t. 

The guy is a first class cvnt and it’s embarrassing on behalf of Leicester City that he’s got a picture of himself in our kit as one of his photos.

13 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Oyyeee piss off! Who the fook wants to see Scotland in the world cup? It's hard enough watching England choke time and time again. England needs to sit out a few world cups, they are a fake orgasm.

As much as i love the homeland, Canada is my other home and we have plenty of talent here.  Untapped market.  Some ways to go (to get to world class) but I'm tired of the same old. The world is so much bigger now and its great to inspire youth in not so cool football countries like Canada. If making it to the world cup is too much then fair play but i'd like to see another world cup for us shit countries to play in with fantastic referring by guatemalans and the horrendous tackles by central american teams in general.  It really does make you miss the good old days of tackling/diving (until you catch a game haha).

👋

We practically colonised Canada, ffs...

History will look back and show that 1998-2022 was the best period for World Cups. You'll look back at 2010 and revise your summation from that being a desperately poor tournament to one that was good.

You'll wince when you remember 1998, 2006 and the early mornings of 2002. 2018, the blistering hot weather and a run to the semi-finals with plenty of other drama will be amazing memories. Heck, even the novelty of 2022 huddled together in pubs in the dark nights will be great memories.

Then you'll see 2026 coming up on the horizon, 2030, 2034 and realise that FIFA have totally and utterly ruined the tournament at the behest of not only good old greed, but to cement Infantino's spell as President as he continues to placate the smaller countries to win votes.

Because a 48-team world cup is going to be mind-numbing. What do we like about 16 team Euros and 32 team World Cups (and I'm going to lump in the 24 team tournys, too.) We like the simplicity of the system, we like big games, great drama, a tournament that takes place in 3-4 weeks and an utter feast of football with just the right number of games per day (3) so we can actually live our lives but consume this tournament we've been hyping for.

And FIFA have ruined that. They've got 16 groups of three teams, where many of these groups will be walkovers and processions to the round of 32, where the straight knockout might well bring drama, but also takes away from the joy of a group stage.

You wouldn't mind if the World Cup was chock full of incredible teams. But shall we remind ourselves that 2018 had the powerhouse of Panama, 2014 had the hulk-like Honduras and 2010 had England. Are you telling me we now have to put up with even more useless team coming the World Cup, sticking around for two games to trot back home after offering nothing to the excitement and drama.

It's a money-making, vote winning scam. 32 teams is a perfect divisible number and the allocations as they were ensured that the density of quality teams were fair and proportional. The World Cup is in danger of jumping the shark, diluting it's own quality and dampening the whole reason for it's worldwide draw.

2026 onwards is going to be crap, but, of course, I'm still going to watch it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Ian Marshall being hot on Katie Hopkins work should not go unnoticed by the club in regards to his ambassadorial work.

Club haven't used him in an official capacity for a long time. They had to get Birch to delete something he retweeted or liked of Marshall's account. 

You can go back on his accounts to find him calling Rodgers all sorts from his time at Liverpool. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Club haven't used him in an official capacity for a long time. They had to get Birch to delete something he retweeted or liked of Marshall's account. 

You can go back on his accounts to find him calling Rodgers all sorts from his time at Liverpool. 

He did the 20 years League Cup win anniversary video thing.

We booked a box in December 2012 for my Mum's 65th birthday (0-1 defeat at home to Cardiff)

When booking we were told the box would be visited by a LCFC legend during the afternoon for a chat, not something we were bothered about but was expecting Muzzy or Walsh maybe. Not long after the match Marshall walks in obviously pissed. Waffles on for about 5 minutes pretty incoherently. We couldn't wait for him to leave!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Him & Steve Walsh were hosting in The Gallery suite for the Chelsea league game. 

13 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

McDonald’s is the pits and people queuing for it today are the dregs of society 

I'm not the biggest fan but for most it's probably just nice just to have something to do again after months of just going on aimless walks or Tescos.

I've been to Costa drive-through a couple of times since it opened. It was just getting a coffee and I queued for half an hour but it felt really good to actually have somewhere to go that wasn't just an aimless walk and food shopping again.

I'm sure for most people, they just see it as being good for their mental health to have places to go again and it helps them feel less isolated when many still can't see their friends and family.

Very, very harsh and judgemental on people's lives to call them "the dregs of society".

Edited by Sampson
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm not the biggest fan but for most it's probably just nice just to have something to do again after months of just going on aimless walks or Tescos.

I've been to Costa drive-through a couple of times since it opened. It was just getting a coffee and I queued for half an hour but it felt really good to actually have somewhere to go that wasn't just an aimless walk and food shopping again.

I'm sure for most people, they just see it as being good for their mental health to have places to go again and it helps them feel less isolated when many still can't see their friends and family.

Very, very harsh and judgemental on people's lives to call them "the dregs of society".

My unpopular opinion is that this is nonsense and the first post is much more accurate. 

I like a McDonalds but Jesus Christ, queuing up behind 30 other cars just to get a fix is very odd behaviour. If you’ve waited 8 weeks or whatever it is I’m sure you can wait a few days more.

Edit - Also, Queue half an hour just to get a coffee?! Bizarre

Edited by lildave3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

My unpopular opinion is that this is nonsense and the first post is much more accurate. 

I like a McDonalds but Jesus Christ, queuing up behind 30 other cars just to get a fix is very odd behaviour. If you’ve waited 8 weeks or whatever it is I’m sure you can wait a few days more.

Edit - Also, Queue half an hour just to get a coffee?! Bizarre

Not really. It was in my car so I had my radio on so I was just listening to that and it didn't feel like queueing. I didn't go straight away as soon as it opened.

You can think of me what you like but what I said about the reason for going wasn't nonsense: it was why I went and why I enjoyed going more than actually getting the coffee.

No idea why people are getting so worked up about people going to drive-throughs. Of all the things to start calling people the dregs of society and bizarre over...

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2