Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

You are right of course... but my concern is for him.  When a poor patch comes it would be better to have a bit of goodwill banked.    If we wants to endure then he would be advised to think of such.  Sad..but true

This is unfortunately true. Klopp was acting like a stand up comic for 2 years before Liverpool fans woke up and started questioning him. Puel wouldn't have lasted a season at Liverpool if he got identical results to Klopp. 

That's football fans and media for you.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2017 at 09:56, Bunyip said:

If we can't relate to him how does the team? I don't know what the question is but I know Puel isn't the answer. Even if he keeps us up he will be gone in the close season, he's a managerial fraud that got found out at Southampton and is getting found out here. 

Yeah, he's a fraud for discovering so many young talents in all the teams he's managed.

Southampton are doing so great without him, aren't they?

It must be quite hard when English isn't your first language to both express what you mean, being mindful that you are using the correct language, whilst at the same time trying to sound interesting. Perhaps if he spoke in French with confidence, the analysis to French speakers may sound spot on and interesting.

Personally I wouldn't starve in France or Italy and could travel and buy tickets and ask for directions etc but would probably sound as dull as buggery in a monotone voice due to the concentration required for an old gimme. 

His media interviews are the least important aspect of his job, it's the other duties that count. Shakespeare was coherent but also dull and a crap manager which puts it into perspective perhaps..

• Like 2

On 12/31/2017 at 19:02, foxinsocks said:

He needs to engage with fans.... he can use an interpreter. ..but he needs to show he is watching the same game.... and maybe a bit of humour.   Basically he needs an image consultant 

I think it shows professionalism, and concentration. Sure, football is supposed to be an emotional sport, but when you can lose your job at any given moment, I think it's best if you keep a cool head and celebrate after the game is done.

Also, I'd rather have a composed manager than a manager that can't shut up, like Mourinho. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too early to Judge, how about having this thread at the end of the season when his had over 20 odd games, and a transfer window or two.

He's been hit and miss, good performance and pretty poor ones, which are to be expected as he gets to understand the players at his disposal.

My only grape is the team he picked for the league cup Qtr's........

40 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It must be quite hard when English isn't your first language to both express what you mean, being mindful that you are using the correct language, whilst at the same time trying to sound interesting. Perhaps if he spoke in French with confidence, the analysis to French speakers may sound spot on and interesting.

Personally I wouldn't starve in France or Italy and could travel and buy tickets and ask for directions etc but would probably sound as dull as buggery in a monotone voice due to the concentration required for an old gimme. 

His media interviews are the least important aspect of his job, it's the other duties that count. Shakespeare was coherent but also dull and a crap manager which puts it into perspective perhaps..

Exactly, he isn't being paid to be Micky Flanagan!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Came at a bad time for us, heavily congested fixture list and an opportunity to rest players.

I'm hoping he will put a large focus on FA cup, think we are well placed to be very competitive in this competition.

42 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I could tell them my name, order a beer or red wine. Maybe even a baguette with cheese but that about covers it :D 

But seriously his interviews are not that bad. I’ve seen much worse 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Too early to Judge, how about having this thread at the end of the season when his had over 20 odd games, and a transfer window or two.

He's been hit and miss, good performance and pretty poor ones, which are to be expected as he gets to understand the players at his disposal.

Stop wining ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

I agree with much of this, however his team selection against Man City was very disappointing and I'll question his ambition as a result of this. I'd rather win a cup than finish 8th, I'm not sure he would.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to the number of games we had coming up, the fringe players getting us to the QF in the first place and at the time of the game we were still in touching distance of the top 5. We were also playing Man City with a number of big clubs left so there's many variations to it. I was also annoyed though as a full strength team would have given us a great chance. He seems to be a constant tinkerer and this could cause him and us problems but we'll see.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2017 at 08:56, Bunyip said:

If we can't relate to him how does the team? I don't know what the question is but I know Puel isn't the answer. Even if he keeps us up he will be gone in the close season, he's a managerial fraud that got found out at Southampton and is getting found out here. 

I strongly disagree :(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

He has actually progressed our style with the same players! 

And he is getting results whilst making us often an entertaining team to watch. Cant believe there is any negativity towards him. He hasnt even had a transfer window and at the moment he barely even seems to need one, bar the squad's obvious weak points which need bolstering.

Some folk won't be happy until Jock Wallace is back!

41 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to the number of games we had coming up, the fringe players getting us to the QF in the first place and at the time of the game we were still in touching distance of the top 5. We were also playing Man City with a number of big clubs left so there's many variations to it. I was also annoyed though as a full strength team would have given us a great chance. He seems to be a constant tinkerer and this could cause him and us problems but we'll see.

I was never that bothered for the reasons you suggest about our league placing at the time and because it looked like even if we won we'd be in the SF draw with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. Even though we were in the QF we were no closer to winning it than we were in August.

If the SF line up was three inferior teams left I would have been pissed off about it. Also if we knew the winner of our tie was going to play Bristol City instead of Man Utd then I think even Puel would have put out a better side.

5 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I could tell them my name, order a beer or red wine. Maybe even a baguette with cheese but that about covers it :D 

But seriously his interviews are not that bad. I’ve seen much worse 

Sounds like we'd be eating in the same place, I'll keep my eye out for the city shirt ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Shakespeare was coherent but also dull and a crap manager which puts it into perspective perhaps..

Come off it mate, Shakey wasn't crap. Under his watch, he pulled us out of the relegation zone, which should bank enough goodwill in and of itself. On his watch, we brought in some terrific talent -- Iborra, Silva, Maguire, Sam Hughes, and from all I have seen, Dragovic, with a costly potential miss on Iheanacho, tho the kid is only 20. Shakey was trying to get us passing and playing a more possession-focused style, much like Puel has done, except he got well and truly fuched, first by the scheduling, then by 14 seconds/the injury to Iborra/the injury to Matty James, which left him bereft of midfield talent. Teams don't win games without midfielders with talent on the ball. 

I am delighted by what Puel has done, but this was almost undoubtedly Shakey's direction for the team as well. Puel may do it better, IDK, but let's not dismiss what Shakey helped the club with, he was significant as both an assistant and as a manager, and he deserved better than he got. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vanity said:

Come off it mate, Shakey wasn't crap. Under his watch, he pulled us out of the relegation zone, which should bank enough goodwill in and of itself. On his watch, we brought in some terrific talent -- Iborra, Silva, Maguire, Sam Hughes, and from all I have seen, Dragovic, with a costly potential miss on Iheanacho, tho the kid is only 20. Shakey was trying to get us passing and playing a more possession-focused style, much like Puel has done, except he got well and truly fuched, first by the scheduling, then by 14 seconds/the injury to Iborra/the injury to Matty James, which left him bereft of midfield talent. Teams don't win games without midfielders with talent on the ball. 

I am delighted by what Puel has done, but this was almost undoubtedly Shakey's direction for the team as well. Puel may do it better, IDK, but let's not dismiss what Shakey helped the club with, he was significant as both an assistant and as a manager, and he deserved better than he got. 

Yes Vanity,  with a bit of hindsight I was a bit disingenuous to him, we did stay up but so should we with the squad we had compared with others. Nevertheless he was at the helm.

Transfers have always puzzled me on here though. If they were good one's they were down to Walsh, bad ... and that was down to Ranieri . They had definitely gone when we got Maguire etc and I haven't given up on Nacho the kid yet, so if he had a hand in those then quite rightly he deserves some accolades. I think it was just his persistence in the same tired tactical routine and faith in his favourites that wrankled when we clearly hadn't got the required personel anymore or a plan b if teams sat back. Think he was too close to some of the players also. Either way a decent man who tried his best!